Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 158 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 3936

Thread: Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Gunslinger Apprentice stevohump will become famous soon enough stevohump's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry about not reporting about the Alpharetta event. Im a lazy forum member. I will tell my experience, the story might not be 100% factual, but it is the way a saw it and heard it.
    So, the day of the event Me and my two friends loaded up and headed out of Auburn, AL. We were looking at a 2hr and 45min. ride. On the way down there I get an email from TDT.org, I believe it was the post from Bev Vincent. The way I understood it was we were not going to be able to (que up) line up until 7 am. So, I was thinking I better get ready for a mad dash come 7 o'clock. We get down to the walmart at about 7:30pm Dec. 13th. We were greeting by King fans that have been lined pretty much all day. I talked to a couple from Michigan. I asked them why this Walmart. Before I go any futher, let me tell you, this Walmart was almost in the middle of noway. Coming from a guy from Alabama, thats pretty bad. Anyway the Michigan folks told me that the Atlanta area was choosen because King would be in town working on Ghost Brothers. So, but why this Walmart? Well, it set a record for copies of 11/22/63 being sold. I also talked to a girl named Carrie (and yes, her mother did name her after the book), she was number 1 in the line and had been there since 9 am that morning. I asked her about the not queing up until 7 post and she said that was false. The decision on how the event was ran was up to walmart. By the way, this particular Walmart was NOT 24 hrs. It closed at 12 midnight and reopened at 6 am. So, we got settled into our spot, we made a rough estimate that we were about #'s 55-57. We were sitting outside along the garden center wall. We went into Walmart to get a few last minute supplies and some board games. Now it was just a matter of waiting and keeping warm. I think the coldest it got was about 40. Earlier that day I had traded numbers with ChritineB from this forum. I called her and let her know we were there, she said she was coming in from Tennessee and would be about 1am before she got there. By the time she gotten there only 100 more people had shown up. I would say that by 3am there was 200 people, by 4am there was 300, by 5am there 400, by the time 7am come rolling around we had over 500 maybe 550. Some of the very first people in line was able to go to the back and get another wristband. They were prolly able to get #575 to 600. (Computer is acting up, To be continued)

Sorry
    ROLL TIDE......14 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

The souls of humans have become poor and transparent things.
    - Elvid in "Fair Extension"

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like fun. Since the signing was announced mid October I doubt that particular Walmart had sold the most copies of 11/22/63. Perhaps it was another King book, or who knows-if Walmart got to choose one in the Atlanta they could have chosen that one for a myriad of reasons.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually think it was Kings decision because of the four kinds of Pork Rinds at the 7-Eleven within walking distance. Dr. Sleep signing tour next year will be coming to a 7-Eleven near you.
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

With so many people at these signings how do people end up getting more then one copy signed?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

They either bring/pay a friend(s) or get back in line and wait again

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Ah I see. Thanks Randall

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Is that what happened?

The quote is: "Some of the very first people in line was able to go to the back and get another wristband. They were prolly able to get #575 to 600."

So did they go back through and get a second wristband for themselves? Kind of odd?

Gunslinger Apprentice stevohump will become famous soon enough stevohump's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stevohump View Post
    Sorry about not reporting about the Alpharetta event. Im a lazy forum member. I will tell my experience, the story might not be 100% factual, but it is the way a saw it and heard it.
    So, the day of the event Me and my two friends loaded up and headed out of Auburn, AL. We were looking at a 2hr and 45min. ride. On the way down there I get an email from TDT.org, I believe it was the post from Bev Vincent. The way I understood it was we were not going to be able to (que up) line up until 7 am. So, I was thinking I better get ready for a mad dash come 7 o'clock. We get down to the walmart at about 7:30pm Dec. 13th. We were greeting by King fans that have been lined pretty much all day. I talked to a couple from Michigan. I asked them why this Walmart. Before I go any futher, let me tell you, this Walmart was almost in the middle of noway. Coming from a guy from Alabama, thats pretty bad. Anyway the Michigan folks told me that the Atlanta area was choosen because King would be in town working on Ghost Brothers. So, but why this Walmart? Well, it set a record for copies of 11/22/63 being sold. I also talked to a girl named Carrie (and yes, her mother did name her after the book), she was number 1 in the line and had been there since 9 am that morning. I asked her about the not queing up until 7 post and she said that was false. The decision on how the event was ran was up to walmart. By the way, this particular Walmart was NOT 24 hrs. It closed at 12 midnight and reopened at 6 am. So, we got settled into our spot, we made a rough estimate that we were about #'s 55-57. We were sitting outside along the garden center wall. We went into Walmart to get a few last minute supplies and some board games. Now it was just a matter of waiting and keeping warm. I think the coldest it got was about 40. Earlier that day I had traded numbers with ChritineB from this forum. I called her and let her know we were there, she said she was coming in from Tennessee and would be about 1am before she got there. By the time she gotten there only 100 more people had shown up. I would say that by 3am there was 200 people, by 4am there was 300, by 5am there 400, by the time 7am come rolling around we had over 500 maybe 550. Some of the very first people in line was able to go to the back and get another wristband. They were prolly able to get #575 to 600. (Computer is acting up, To be continued)

Sorry
    OK, im back. Yea, I would say that about 30 to 35 people that already had wristbands, went out and got in the back of the line. My understanding is some were able to get another wristband some were not. So, that led me to believe that the 600 mark was hit. Ok, we got ours. I was just a little disappointed, they are just paper wristbands with numbers on them. Nothing was said about the event. No event card either, just a yellow piece of paper with rules and regulations. Since, we ended up being #53-55, they told the first 100 people to be back at Walmart at 4:00 that afternoon. 101-200 @4:30, 201-300 @5:00, and so on and so on. We got done and then ChristineB got done I believe she was #158. We all went out for breakfast at the nearest place.... McDonald. It was super great meeting Christine by the way. We all got done and went to the hotel for some rest. Ok, at 3:30 we heading into the Walmart. We walked up to a mass of people, some official person looked at our wristbands and told us to come on thru and move to the very front. They were not letting anyone line up except the first 100 people. So, we ended up in the fifth. Even tho some of the numbers were mixed we were still in the 50''s of the people getting signed. As the 2nd and 3rd group arrived, we were packed in so tight, people were having trouble breathing. But really imagine standing with both feet together and arms by your side, that was about how much room everybody had. We were packed in tight and we still had two hours to go. They kept packing people in tighter because they didn't plan well, they could have moved some more stuff to make more room. We were in the men's cloths. I think all they moved were the hats and thick socks. They tried to cram 600 people in a spot for about 300. Once 7 o'clock got there , you could feel the pressure in the air change. King arrived on time . We walked right up to the group and started high-fiving people. Gave his little speech and then the 1st book he signed was a women sitting up front with her husband. I was thinking she had cancer and was expected to past away, but she had beaten breast cancer and was doing fine. She was a friend of someone that worked at Walmart. She claimed to read one of his books during all of her long chemotherapy treatments. She said "King helped her through this" Like I said I was about 55th line and I was standing there with a signed book by 7:15. He was flying but everyone I talked to said he took a second to say hey or something to everyone. The story I heard was he had signed all 600 in about an hour and a half. It was a great experience for me and I would travel, and pay, and stand in the cold to do it again.

I hope this answered some questions for some people.
    ROLL TIDE......14 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

The souls of humans have become poor and transparent things.
    - Elvid in "Fair Extension"

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the information. Were you able to get any pics?

John

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

awesome report. it is always fun to hear peoples experiences!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aw, man! I was at the Alpharetta signing too, I wish I had seen this thread in time to arrange a meet up with you guys. I drove in from Michigan. Got done with my last final for the semester and drove 11.5 hours straight through with a stop in southern Tennessee to pick up a couple of friends. We got in line about 11pm and I ended up with the 114th wristband. Was cold as heck out there, tried to get some sleep, but it didn't work out. After the wristbands were distributed, my friends and I went into Atlanta and spent the day there. Visited the World of Coke, checked out an amazing (if slightly overpriced) bookstore -The Grey Parrot - and then got some dinner at this amazing diner. Then headed back to Alpharetta to wait in line for another two hours. It was indeed cramped in the store/queue. Talked to King for a microsecond and thanked him for writing another DT book. He promised me that I would love the story. Very fun overall, wish I had a chance to meet up with everyone else. I'll post a few pics I took from my cell when I get a chance later this week. Good times though, and I would totally do it again. This was my second King signing, both of which required over 11 hours of driving... hopefully he'll make a stop in the Midwest one of these years :-)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

As I read about more and more of these events, I continue to be surprised and thankful for how smoothly the Boston event went.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    As I read about more and more of these events, I continue to be surprised and thankful for how smoothly the Boston event went.
    I think even smoother was the Mason event/signing. No one waited in line more than 30 minutes and we didn't have to-nor did we show up hours in advance and have to stand around or be herded like cattle.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that a common thread among all of these stories about King events/signings is that any real time with King is very limited and the most fun is had by meeting and talking to other King fans. At least that has been my experience at the three events I have attended over the years. And it seems to be something that almost everyone mentions in their own descriptions. Chilling with other King fans is the best part; realizing there are people who understand us out there.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said, Bob.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    It seems to me that a common thread among all of these stories about King events/signings is that any real time with King is very limited and the most fun is had by meeting and talking to other King fans. At least that has been my experience at the three events I have attended over the years. And it seems to be something that almost everyone mentions in their own descriptions. Chilling with other King fans is the best part; realizing there are people who understand us out there.
    I exactly this reason that I'm a huge Tom Waits fans. Some of my best friends are other Tom Waits fans that I met online, and met in real life for the first time as we made roadtrip plans to see some rare live concerts. I have almost no desire to actually meet Waits (or King), but I love the ragtag group of friends; to the point that I've traveled from Dallas to Minneapolis just to hang out with a group of them and will also go to Colorado next summer for a week for a mutual vacation.

So thanks to these public figures that may not realize the little subgroups that develop outside of their realm but as a result of them.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I appreciate you all, and hope I get to know you like I know some of these other folks.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh my gosh, I couldn't even make sense with my first sentence. I guess I got all excited. Sorry.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, one of the best moments I remember from the events I attended is the dinner we had in NYC some members. One of the highlights of the trip.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here are the rules for King's Savannah Book Festival appearance.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Here are the rules for King's Savannah Book Festival appearance.
    So it sounds like you can get any book signed - even one you bring from home - as long as you purchase 11/22/63 from the festival? When they first announced this appearance I thought I read he would only sign a book purchased at the festival. Anyone have any other info? Anyone have tickets to go to this signing?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree with TwistedNadine...anybody going that will get me a signed book (I will ship to you and pay you some $$ for the trouble!)

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Since he's done six signing events in my nearby area (Ports. NH twice, Pleasantville, NJ twice, and Boston twice) and I went to five of them, I have no right to complain...

Still, I wish just once he would do a "bring a book" signing in a place I could go and bring a 1st ed. Carrie or Night Shift.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Since he's done six signing events in my nearby area (Ports. NH twice, Pleasantville, NJ twice, and Boston twice) and I went to five of them, I have no right to complain...

Still, I wish just once he would do a "bring a book" signing in a place I could go and bring a 1st ed. Carrie or Night Shift.
    At least he shows up in your neck of the woods. He never comes even close to SoCal for signings... For me going to these signings costs more than just buying an already signed book.

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

King comes to NJ??!!! Man I hope he comes again because I am so there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 158 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast