Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: SOFTWARE UPGRADE Discussion

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

ouch its hurting my eyes and brain.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm having to select the take 5 skin every time I log in, should that happen?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Why do we have to fix what wasn't broke?. When I read about the new management the first thing I thought was oh great, we're gonna have to re-register, lose all posts, have a skanky ass skin on the forum etc. When the only thing that happened was a new banner (that actually fit in well - unlike now as it looks ridiculous) I was well impressed, then you just had to go and fiddle about and ruin it all .

Can we have an option to select what it was before or are we stuck with take 5 or default?, because if you had a poll I'm sure the majority would prefer the old skin.

Sorry if I sound harsh guys I know you want to put your own stamp on the place but it's just really annoying when sites you use everyday go and decide to make a huge change like this.
    We really liked the old look too, unfortunately it wasn't available with the new software. We aslo liked the price of the old software and were not thrilled having to lay out several hundred dollars for 4.0 software and a skin. We tried to go with a look that was more evolutionary than revolutionary. There was quite a bit of passionate discussion of other choices. The old 3.0 software needed to be upgraded. Change is inevitable. I was less than thrilled with Vista compared to XP, but I'm now using Windows 7 and not only am I used to it, but I see positives in it. I also was less than thrilled that Office gets a makeover every (seemingly) 2 years, but lots of changes to the Office suite are beneficial. Matt worked over 6 hours on the upgrade yesterday, and still needs more time today (although I don't anticipate the site being offline.) He had to remove every add on to eliminate SQL errors then load the base version and add the skin. We will be working to add back as much as we can-as well as new things we never had before.
    Patrick and I took this over as a labor of love-at this point an expensive hobby.
    Any member or staff person who has specific ideas and wants to help improve the new board, please feel free to PM Matt with your suggestions.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I'm having to select the take 5 skin every time I log in, should that happen?
    I noticed that too, and right now I don't know. Waiting to hear from Matt. Right now my resources are either asleep (Matt and Michael), or at work (Joseph).

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I dont know what that means take 5 but if it means i can look at the 'OLD SKIN' HOW DO I ACCESS IT?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Towards the bottom left of the page is a drop down box. The two choices are the default style, and the Take 5 style.
    Attached Images

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is the Arcade gone or just hiding?

Spammers aboard!
    Forum Mid-World The Manni Village Town Commons evden eve nakliyat

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Few things here everyone.

vBulletin wrote 4.0 as a MAJOR upgrade. There are more changes to this version than there has been in any other. It did have to happen and there wasn't a comparable skin written. We were so far behind on versions that I had to actually upgrade the site through 10 versions to get it here.

I will make the skin the default so no one has to "pick" it anymore. The default has always been there, you guys just didn't get a choice.

The "plug in" system had to be completely discarded to upgrade the site. That means big things like the arcade are gone (for now) but so are little things like "unread posts". We are going to decide what needs to come back and what doesn't.

At the moment we are doing our best but like buying a new computer this had to happen. You cannot even start a new vbulletin forum on the version we were using. Any old timers that remember dt.net and how it crashed and burned (largely because it could not be updated) will understand why this had to be done.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well so far, I'm not liking this upgrade. It's like the personality of the site is gone. Aside from the banner on the T5 version, there's absolutely nothing that makes one think this is a DT site.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    We really liked the old look too, unfortunately it wasn't available with the new software. We aslo liked the price of the old software and were not thrilled having to lay out several hundred dollars for 4.0 software and a skin. We tried to go with a look that was more evolutionary than revolutionary. There was quite a bit of passionate discussion of other choices. The old 3.0 software needed to be upgraded. Change is inevitable. I was less than thrilled with Vista compared to XP, but I'm now using Windows 7 and not only am I used to it, but I see positives in it. I also was less than thrilled that Office gets a makeover every (seemingly) 2 years, but lots of changes to the Office suite are beneficial. Matt worked over 6 hours on the upgrade yesterday, and still needs more time today (although I don't anticipate the site being offline.) He had to remove every add on to eliminate SQL errors then load the base version and add the skin. We will be working to add back as much as we can-as well as new things we never had before.
    Patrick and I took this over as a labor of love-at this point an expensive hobby.
    Any member or staff person who has specific ideas and wants to help improve the new board, please feel free to PM Matt with your suggestions.
    For the both of ya's.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    For now, you can change the theme at the bottom of the page to something a little more tolerable.

well ,the take five is much better than the all white.... but I agree that the busy sand patterns and backgrounds is distracting from the text. We aren't here to see neato backgrounds, we're here to read.... and the busy back grounds and blended colored text make that hard.

imagine a stephen king novel written on sandpaper like paper... wouldn't make it past the first chapter before chunking it. Simple, contrasting text colors verses background colors, and colors that are easy on the eyes (not glaring) lends toward more readability.
    darker text on a neutral colored, non-white, non-patterned background is my vote... kind of like it was before.

again, here to read... not to go wow, look at the wallpaper!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Few things here everyone.

vBulletin wrote 4.0 as a MAJOR upgrade. There are more changes to this version than there has been in any other. It did have to happen and there wasn't a comparable skin written. We were so far behind on versions that I had to actually upgrade the site through 10 versions to get it here.

I will make the skin the default so no one has to "pick" it anymore. The default has always been there, you guys just didn't get a choice.

The "plug in" system had to be completely discarded to upgrade the site. That means big things like the arcade are gone (for now) but so are little things like "unread posts". We are going to decide what needs to come back and what doesn't.

At the moment we are doing our best but like buying a new computer this had to happen. You cannot even start a new vbulletin forum on the version we were using. Any old timers that remember dt.net and how it crashed and burned (largely because it could not be updated) will understand why this had to be done.
    Matt, and the rest of the technical team: Thank you for all you are doing to keep the software of this site viable. Thank you for continuing to work on it to clean up and smooth out the many details post-upgrade as we continue to finetune the site.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    well ,the take five is much better than the all white.... but I agree that the busy sand patterns and backgrounds is distracting from the text. We aren't here to see neato backgrounds, we're here to read.... and the busy back grounds and blended colored text make that hard.

imagine a stephen king novel written on sandpaper like paper... wouldn't make it past the first chapter before chunking it. Simple, contrasting text colors verses background colors, and colors that are easy on the eyes (not glaring) lends toward more readability.
    darker text on a neutral colored, non-white, non-patterned background is my vote... kind of like it was before.

again, here to read... not to go wow, look at the wallpaper!
    Thanks for the feedback Terry. We are working on improving the site. Hopefully in the near future things will be more impressive.
    Don't think of this as a finished King novel, think of it as having the chance to see an unedited manuscript.
    Your a sharp tech person. We'd love actual assistance-specific implementable recommendations.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A minor point--double-clicking the icon for a thread does NOT mark that thread as being read. No biggie, but I thought I'd mention it.

I think that, overall, the new site is pretty good. I learned a long time ago that the one fact that never changes is the fact that everything changes!

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.
    Anyone still using one of these?

This was one of the best cell phones I ever owned. I still have it, but it wont work on the new Verizon software.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I retract my gripes. I know you guys are doing this as a labor of love and I respect and admire you for that more then words can tell. Keep up the good work and I am SO glad that there is a site like this that I now can think of no reason why I complained in the first place. Like John says, change is inevitible, that's the way the universe works.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I retract my gripes. I know you guys are doing this as a labor of love and I respect and admire you for that more then words can tell. Keep up the good work and I am SO glad that there is a site like this that I now can think of no reason why I complained in the first place. Like John says, change is inevitable, that's the way the universe works.
    Thanks. I'm not kidding when I say that almost brings tears to my eyes.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'm actually liking the Default better than the take 5 right now. I know you guys are probably thinking we're all ingrates, but seriously, 2 days aqgo I was talking to someone I met at the westeros forum about how needlessly cluttered and complicated that forum is, and told him he should come check out how this forum is, and now I'm lost in my own forum. I feel like I came home late at night and I'm stubbing my toes because my wife rearranged all the furniture.

Again, I know I'm being ungrateful, but is there a reason we Had to change it?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Yes, this has been discussed. The new version of vBulletin would not support the stuff that we had.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Yes.
    Anyone still using one of these?

I knew someone using it not more than a year ago.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's that bad. It'll just take some getting used to and what not. Like moving into a new house. Or something.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    I'm actually liking the Default better than the take 5 right now.
    Then you will be happy when we provide several choices to view the forum. Right now there are two, soon there will be more.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thoroughly onboard with necessary upgrades and changes, you can't get past them in today's cyber-centric world. You guys have done a fantastic job, and I've got no serious gripes at all. But I'll tell ya, when I signed on this morning and the vB4 came up ... yeek! I near soiled myself, as Red would say. I couldn't be happier when I tried again just now and was greeted with the familiar and comforting (though double) logo up top, but then I looked down and ... brown! Everything's brown! I have a severe dislike for brown, it's probably genetic. Ask my wife, she'll tell you. My two main rules in life are , #1) Food should not be painful (for all you insane pepper lovers out there) and #2) No brown!

I don't know, but to me this 'skin" just doesn't capture the ... feeling of the site. It doesn't scream The Dark Tower. It's not ominous. It's not forboding. It's not scary. It's not Stephen King; hell, with the cowboy, horse, crossed guns and desert scheme it's more like Louis L'Amour!

The Dark Tower is black. The Crimson King is red (okay, crimson). Our heroes believe in The White. These should be the basis (or at least an option in the lower left corner) of the color scheme, just like they were before. Does anybody out there have the techie experience with vBulletin to assist in pulling or programming other skins?

Also Mr Flagg, over at Calvin's Corner up top where the Announcements pop up, your message there says " Changing Forum View - Please go to post #57 in this thread to see an example of how to change the style of the forum you are viewing. Post #57" . Unfortunately it doesn't tell you which forum that Post #57 is in; I'd suggest making it "Keystone Tower/Path of the Beam/Post #57". Took me a solid 5 minutes to find this dang thing.

George

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm loving the new look personally. Like anything new, it's going to take some adjusting. Any chance we can get the 'Unread Posts' back sometime in the near future ?

P.S - Thanks to all our technical staff ! I'm sure this must be f-loads of work for you guys but you're shouldering the responsibility admirably. Keep up the good work guys !

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Change IS inevitable and people as a rule do not like change. They'll also bitch if you hang 'em with a new rope! Like someone else also said, it is fine and will just take some getting used to. So far I like it and appreciate all the hard work put into it!!!

Now if we could just kill the spammers?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast