Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Best TV Series of All Time (BTVSAT)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG, I forgot about Benson. Haven't watched it in so long. I loved that show.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, it isn't quite as brilliant as Life on Mars, but I'm nominating sequel show Ashes to Ashes. Mainly for plenty of golden moments like this:

Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And just like that our Quarterfinals have come to an end! Believe it or not, the Semifinals begin right away today with the first bracket, and the second and last bracket goes up Friday!

Here are the standings going into the SF. Remember, it's #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3.

1950:
    1. The Twilight Zone (260.54)
    2. I Love Lucy (227.63)
    3. Perry Mason (184.40)
    4. Alfred Hitchcock Presents (176.26)

1960s:
    1. Star Trek (192.57)
    2. Monty Python's Flying Circus (184.90)
    3. The Outer Limits (182.34)
    4. Sesame Street (162.47)

1970s:
    1. M*A*S*H (224.26)
    2. The Muppet Show (216.26)
    3. Saturday Night Live (176.77)
    4. Happy Days (175.49)

1980s:
    1. Cheers (213.59)
    2. Star Trek: The Next Generation (171.88)
    3. The Simpsons (170.35)
    4. Seinfeld (163.94)

1990s:
    1. The X-Files (260.85)
    2. That '70s Show (195.44)
    3. The Sopranos (189.94)
    4. Frasier (175.14)

2000s:
    1. Lost (194.00)
    2. True Blood (193.87)
    3. Battlestar Galactica (187.00)
    4. Fringe (162.20)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

My 2 favorite shows were both knocked out in the last round. Of the shows remaining, there's really only one that I would put in my personal top 10. And I don't see it surviving this round.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are very happy Monty Python made it

not that I expect it to win, but still

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dunno, I think MP has a very good chance against The Outer Limits.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm finding it hard to vote in these later stages as i seem not to have seen the shows or dislike them so dont want to vote either way

shame, but there are still a few in there that i am looking to move forwards so i can vote in the finals

Country
    Country Flag

And our Semifinals have come to an end! These are our Finalists:

1950s: The Twilight Zone vs. I Love Lucy
    1960s: Star Trek vs. The Outer Limits
    1970s: M*A*S*H vs. The Muppet Show
    1980s: Cheers vs. Star Trek: The Next Generation
    1990s: The X-Files vs. The Sopranos
    2000s: Lost vs. Battlestar Galactica

It all starts Monday the 31st!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent!
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I Love Lucy is a bit of a surprise. If the rankings would have been a little bit different I think Alfred Hitchcock could’ve gotten to the finals.

I honestly expected SNL to win the 70’s. I’m really surprised it got beat by the Muppets.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I Love Lucy is a bit of a surprise. If the rankings would have been a little bit different I think Alfred Hitchcock could’ve gotten to the finals.
    ILL is probably the best sitcom of all time, and arguably one of the best series of any type of all time, which is reflected by our membership.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i personally think there are a few surprises in there.

I mean, the Muppet Show? Don't get me wrong i used to enjoy it as much as the next person, but the Greatest TV series of all time?

I could go on. But i am just bitter because all my favourites got knocked out

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i am just bitter because all my favourites got knocked out
    now that it happened to Monty Python's, I can believe anything. Life holds no more surprises for bears.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just be glad it made it to the semi-finals at least Jean. Admittedly, I wasn't happy about it: it beat Doctor Who to get that far. So be grateful for that much, at least.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I AM GRATEFUL!!!!

don't I sound greatful?.....

::gnashing teeth::

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You seem to have taken the loss of your favourite show from the relevant decade just as well as I have, Jean.

*punches through wall*

- Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I honestly expected SNL to win the 70’s. I’m really surprised it got beat by the Muppets.
    I expected Twilight Zone vs. I Love Lucy, right from the beginning. Would not have predicted exactly these final matches for any of the other decades, however. Still, I'm not too shocked that, as of now, it looks like we'll end up with a SciFi winner for every one except the '70s.

Country
    Country Flag

Clearly the bias of our membership shows. Not that there's anything wrong with that I'm sure on another forum the results would be quite different. I too would not have predicted any of these. Well the 1950s and the 1990s I think are fairly obvious, but most others are not.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's just a bummer that so many of the best network shows of the 90s don't count technically as 90s shows.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Clearly the bias of our membership shows. Not that there's anything wrong with that I'm sure on another forum the results would be quite different. I too would not have predicted any of these. Well the 1950s and the 1990s I think are fairly obvious, but most others are not.
    I'd say that asking any diverse group of people to determine something "best" (without defining clear criteria, and even then) is practically guaranteed to yield unexpected results (or perfectly expected - depends on how you look at it)
    See, how opinions differ on the subject of Javier Bardem as Roland? And that is about just one character in a book that, I daresay, we all enjoy, or at least find interesting enough.
    Anyway, I'm really enjoying the process, expected results or not
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

Well, the decade finals are over, and that brings us to our concluding round-robin phase which will give us the best TV series of all time. It starts later today. There will be five rounds of three polls, each posted daily, which means the last of the polls will be up on Friday, and we'll have our winner declared the next Friday, the 18th. To remind, each series will face another and the winner will receive 1 point. The series with the most points at the end wins (the points earned previously no longer count).

The series that made it through five serious rounds of voting are (final score in parenthesis):

1950s: The Twilight Zone (401.74)
    1960s: Star Trek (318.76)
    1970s: M*A*S*H (352.83)
    1980s: Star Trek: The Next Generation (281.99)
    1990s: The Sopranos (294.92)
    2000s: Battlestar Galactica (294.08)

I know some of you were dismayed that some of your favorites didn't make it this far (as I am, to be honest), but that's what makes this fun and unexpected. Personally, I expected to have vastly different finalists.

Country
    Country Flag

pablo, what you're doing is fantastic! bears admire

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Jean, I hope you've enjoyed it so far!

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, the decade finals are over, and that brings us to our concluding round-robin phase which will give us the best TV series of all time. It starts later today. There will be five rounds of three polls, each posted daily, which means the last of the polls will be up on Friday, and we'll have our winner declared the next Friday, the 18th. To remind, each series will face another and the winner will receive 1 point. The series with the most points at the end wins (the points earned previously no longer count).

The series that made it through five serious rounds of voting are (final score in parenthesis):

1950s: The Twilight Zone (401.74)
    1960s: Star Trek (318.76)
    1970s: M*A*S*H (352.83)
    1980s: Star Trek: The Next Generation (281.99)
    1990s: The Sopranos (294.92)
    2000s: Battlestar Galactica (294.08 )

I know some of you were dismayed that some of your favorites didn't make it this far (as I am, to be honest), but that's what makes this fun and unexpected. Personally, I expected to have vastly different finalists.
    I'm dismayed, yes, but not terribly surprised. I expected Lost to be here, but that's not "vastly" different. It's a lot of fun for me, anyway, even without overwhelming unpredictability. I find it interesting and impressive that, although I would have picked a different list of finalists myself, I would rank the ones listed in about the same order indicated by those scores.
    This is way cool. Thanks, pablo, and all fellow participants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast