Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Recondition The Stand S/L Case

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Recondition The Stand S/L Case

I posted this years ago on Dt.net.:

Several months ago I bought a signed limited copy of The Stand. I purchased the book at a reduced price knowing the coffin box was damaged. The book itself was in excellent shape but the box had several problems.

#1. There is a raised edge on the bottom box that surrounds the red lining. One edge was damaged and had been completely removed by a previous owner. Here is a photo of two boxes side by side to show the missing edge:

#2. The side of the lid had been damaged and poorly repaired. I neglected to get a before shot, but here are photos of the restoration in progress:

#3. The Brass plaque affixing the lid had been scratched and possibly previously removed.

Before I continue, a little history on The Stand:
    In 1977 King and Doubleday were negotiating a new contract. King offered his next three novels (already completed) to Doubleday execs for $3.5 million. William Thompson-King’s editor at Doubleday urged the execs to accept Kings offer. The execs countered with a $3 million dollar offer. The incensed King rejected the offer and thus signed with NAL for his asking price. NAL backsold the rights to the hardbacks to Viking.
    Shortly after Kings defection, Doubleday fired Bill Thompson. The job of editing The Stand was given to another editor. With no future relationship at hand Doubleday demanded that King cut the 1,600 page manuscript by at least 250 pages so as to keep the retail price down. King was furious but had to live up to his contract.
    Early on with Doubleday; King-in order to save on taxes, had signed an agreement to have Doubleday invest his money earned and pay him a yearly “salary” of $50,00 per year. By 1983 millions had accrued in his fund. King asked to end the investment and liquidate the fund. King himself had no agent when the agreement was negotiated and was unaware the agreement had no exit clause. Doubleday pointed this fact out but mentioned they could be persuaded to end the agreement if King gave them one more novel.
    Talked out of suing, King gave Doubleday the previously finished but unpublished Pet Sematary.
    In Pet Sematary the list of King’s works mentioned a little known book called The Gunslinger-published by Donald M Grant. Thus DMG was brought into the spotlight and would go on to publish-over the course of the next 22+ years the following 6 DarkTower books.
    In 1990 King-along with the previously hated Doubleday published The Stand: The complete and Uncut Edition. King got to have one of his best loved works published as he intended. Doubleday decided to release a limited version of the book. 1,000 numbered and 52 lettered copies were decided upon. After most of the limiteds were presold, (retail price $325) Walden’s and Barnes & Noble insisted they each wanted 125 copies. King signed the additional 250 signature pages thus bringing the total to 1,250 numbered editions.
    Oversized, bound in black goatskin and engraved with a latticework of gilt, the book came in a black wooden coffin box that was lined with red satin. Affixed to the lid was a brass plaque. The 1st state of the plaque was brass in color with black lettering. The actual plaque decided upon and used was black faced with the engraving revealing the brass beneath.

On with the repair/restoration story:
    I shipped the box to a friend who had done quality woodwork fabrication for me before. He used to live nearby but had moved to Alaska. He proceeded to fabricate and install the missing edge as well as repair the side of the lid. The repair of the lid necessitated that the box be repainted. Unfortunately he chose to use a black that was glossier than the original box was. The original is really a flat black. In addition he was reticent to remove the brass plaque. As a result; the several coats of paint he used actually were thick enough to rise up almost equal in height to the plaque (he had taped the plaque off). Additionally the thick paint obscured the wood grain evident in the coffin boxes. I wasn’t thrilled with the pictures he sent me that showed the glossy paint but he was my only choice for the repair.

He let the box dry indoors several days then wrapped it up and shipped it back to me. Upon opening the packaged I was shocked. The material he had wrapped the box with had made imprints into the box itself! I considered the box ruined.

Ruined Box:

Upon speaking to my friend he recommended lightly sanding the box with 600 emery cloth then using 0000 steel wool to remove the imprints and reduce the shine to a flat black. After several attempts I still wasn’t happy. At this point I considered the box a loss. Since I was desperate; I removed the plaque and lining and brought the box to a professional furniture re-finisher. I had used the man previously to refinish an antique wood piece for my wife. He doesn’t do repairs, but the refinishing job he had done for me was top notch.
    The man took the box with no promises as to the result. Only two days later he called me and said “she’s done”! WOW! The guy pulled it off. The box was flat black again; a perfect match and I could once again see the wood grain in the box as it was intended.
    Here is the refinished box (without plaque) beside another original box:

Now I only had the problem of the plaque. Mine was damaged. Mostly scratched but certainly not mint. I checked with about 10 different trophy engravers in my area and none could duplicate the font from the original plaque. The font itself is a replication of the font on the cover of the book. No one had that font. Finally I came upon an engraver who was also a graphic artist. Using an image scanned from my plaque as well as a photo of the book cover, he recreated by hand-and computer the original font. I had him make not only a black faced plaque, but a replication of the 1st state brass plate plaque that I could only find for >$60 from a collectible bookseller. Needless to say I spent far less than $60 per plaque. The only other issue I have is the original plaques have either oxidized over time or the stock was different and therefore the brass itself is darker on the original than the black faced replications I have. The color is close but just a bit off. At this point since I have the original anyway I plan on leaving the lid without a plaque attached and if I ever sell the book I can offer the buyer their choice of plaques.

What an adventure this has been.
    Here is a picture of the repaired box with the 1st state plaque and all three plaques placed upon it:

Last edited by Randall Flagg; 11-21-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anybody know where I can get a replacement plate/plaque for the front of the case? I just bought a Stand S/L and it has some minor scratches on it. Too nice of a S/L to not have it look like new.....

AKC

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I might have a spare. It is a very close replica. If not I can dig up who to contact for one.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome......I sent you a PM on this also.

My case needs touching up as well and I am trying to figure out the best way to do this....

Appreciate the help my friend.....

AKC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I might have a spare. It is a very close replica. If not I can dig up who to contact for one.
    Thanks to Jerome, I have recently placed an order for 3 replacement plates for the front of the case @ $9.00 each.

If anybody needs one, let me know!

Thanks!

AKC

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice. I had heard of this edition but don't know that I had ever bothered to track down a picture. This is gorgeous. Amazing that a still very early King book got such a regal treatment. Now I can see why this is listed for so much.

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, the reconditioning of my case is ALMOST complete. I took the plate off, sanded, refinished, and painted the box and now I need to put a new plate on.....

The only problem is that I FORGOT to measure the exact placement of the plate so I don't know exactly where to put it.

Can anybody give me the exact measurements of where the plate is located?

Gotta make sure I put it back in the right place!

Thanks!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Top of box lid to top of plate is 1 1/2" down, Edge of box to edge of plate 2 1/2" in. Hope this helps.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Top of box lid to top of plate is 1 1/2" down, Edge of box to edge of plate 2 1/2" in. Hope this helps.
    Awesome......THANK YOU!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Awesome......THANK YOU!
    Hmm, I measured it as 1&15/32" down and 2&31/64" in.

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'll just split the difference between the two........

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump for fun.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Was the inner red lining glued in in any way or does it just pull out?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I can tell it is glued in or a REAL tight fit.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was not glued in. It's a tight fit. Carefully pull the sides inward and you can remove the liner.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump for Mr. Webster and friends.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks brother
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you still have that contact, sai? I am trying to repair a Stand Case for a nice lady in need of one.
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

Michael Whelan "The Long Road" DT Print

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I sold mine. Webstar1000 may have an extra. If you need help with the repair, my case guy might be able to help.

Traveler Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I sold mine. Webstar1000 may have an extra. If you need help with the repair, my case guy might be able to help.
    Thanks; I appreciate it. I was hoping for the contact to buy a replica plate - it looked like years ago - in this thread - someone was making them, and I was hoping to get one...Webstar1000 is out as well. I am fixing up a case for a friend (I do a little woodworking on the side).
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I had some duplicate plates made quite some time ago. I might have an extra, if not I also may have the contact for the Company (I believe they made plates for trophies, etc.) who made the plates.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I would greatly appreciate that. An extra or a contact to get one.
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The business that made the plaques for me is:

Halex Awards & Gifts, Engraving and Printing
    418 Exchange Street
    Geneva, NY 14456

The invoice was #10926, dated 4/22/2011. The sales rep was "ES"

If they can make more, it might serve you well to do a high resolution scan to send to them.
    Here are approximate (but very very close) measurements:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Thank you!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate this. Her case is not that bad off and I can make it like new and protected with more clear coat, but the brass was scratched up bad. I will contact Halex.

HAppy Holidays and Long days and pleasant nights!

The business that made the plaques for me is:

Halex Awards & Gifts, Engraving and Printing
    418 Exchange Street
    Geneva, NY 14456

The invoice was #10926, dated 4/22/2011. The sales rep was "ES"

If they can make more, it might serve you well to do a high resolution scan to send to them.
    Here are approximate (but very very close) measurements:

Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast