Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest director ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

9 31.03%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

20 68.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - FINAL - Nolan vs Hitchcock

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Nah, I don't think I've ever talked about it here. I just didn't like it ( Batman Begins ). I mean, it was better than a lot of the other Batman movies, but that's not saying much since so many of those were real stinkers ( IMHO ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I've expanded on this in countless other threads, I'll just say that both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are much, much more than simply 'good comic book/batman movies'.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

path - I was actually talking about perspective. I mean, I love Nolan just fine when I am face to face with him, but as soon as I take two steps away in any direction, he is placed into a bigger picture, and gets instantly eclipsed by a few dozen others. (as pablo said)

Whoever - producers or promoters or distributors, or the whole way the cultural policy in a given country is established - has mastered the subtle art of manipulating this perspective has nothing to do with directing in particular, or filmmaking in general.

ETA: the second passage of this post has nothing to do with Nolan, it is part of a larger discussion between path and me.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Since I've expanded on this in countless other threads, I'll just say that both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are much, much more than simply 'good comic book/batman movies'.
    I half-way agree with you.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    path - I was actually talking about perspective. I mean, I love Nolan just fine when I am face to face with him, but as soon as I take two steps away in any direction, he is placed into a bigger picture, and gets instantly eclipsed by a few dozen others. (as pablo said)
    I'm glad we agree on this, Jean, because when one is in agreement with bears one is always correct

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm glad we agree on this, Jean, because when one is in agreement with bears one is always correct
    do you mind if I sig this after Halloween?

::flattered beyond words::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    You mean, you think they're only 'much more' as opposed to 'much,much more' ?

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    You mean, you think they're only 'much more' as opposed to 'much,much more' ?

Oh yeah, um, that's exactly what I mean... sure, that's it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

do you mind if I sig this after Halloween?

::flattered beyond words::
    Sure, why would I mind. And I meant it, too!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

or maybe vice versa...

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.
    or maybe vice versa...
    I'd place Kubrick over Hitchcock, certainly.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Whoever - producers or promoters or distributors, or the whole way the cultural policy in a given country is established - has mastered the subtle art of manipulating this perspective has nothing to do with directing in particular, or filmmaking in general.

ETA: the second passage of this post has nothing to do with Nolan, it is part of a larger discussion between path and me.
    I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that? To have full perpective, surely we must consider an even bigger picture than the body of all films in existence. One greater than any of them might be imagined, but it doesn't get made without courting an audience. Every great director has gone through that in one way or another.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that?
    As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me.

Great discussion though.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm sorry then, because I approached this as a cinephile, weighing each candidate against the entirety of world cinema. For me Nolan wouldn't rate anywhere in the top 30 or so, maybe even top 50. I just don't understand what the fascination with him is that he's advanced so far. Aside from a few moments here and there in The Presitige and Memento, his films have been from good to average.
    I have voted Hitchcock in this round and Nolan in the semi's, but neither of them are actually my favourite directors or who I would give the accolade "Greatest Director Of All Time", were I to pick from all the films I have ever seen. there's no need to feign an apology Pablo, but unless it's agreed before the start of the tournament that we are all to vote in that particular way, as the contestants are eliminated people are simply going to vote for who they've enjoyed...and why not? Surely it's the point of cinema after all?

I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that?
    I may be wrong but I felt like you were orginally directing that at me, as when I voted Nolan last round I made comment on how I'd recently watched his films.

If so, I'm slightly offended that you imply I have low levels of retention! I watched Nolan's films recentley so I could make a more informed vote as I hadn't seen any of them except TDK prior to the poll. I'm not a Kubrick fan, therefore I went with Nolan because, for example, I vastly prefer The Prestige over A Clockwork Orange, which to me is very overrated.

It's preference, not an inability to compare over time.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I definitely agree with this...

the previous Batman movies were good comic book/batman movies... well, some of them... the first one, with Keaton, for example.

The Dark Knight and Batman Begins were far superior in my mind than those others...

...but Nolan needs to be around longer to have a greater impact on me I think.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
    ...but Nolan needs to be around longer to have a greater impact on me I think.
    A primary contention point amongst his more level headed detractors. Luckily he's still at a very early stage in his film making career, with many more years togo and plenty more great films to make. It certainly bodes well for us , the fans, that he's operating at such a high level at this point.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

certainly...

let us hope he is not a fad that will just vanish
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me.

Great discussion though.
    Thanks. But that's not really what I was saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    Well, I'm sorry then, because I approached this as a cinephile, weighing each candidate against the entirety of world cinema. For me Nolan wouldn't rate anywhere in the top 30 or so, maybe even top 50. I just don't understand what the fascination with him is that he's advanced so far. Aside from a few moments here and there in The Presitige and Memento, his films have been from good to average.
    I have voted Hitchcock in this round and Nolan in the semi's, but neither of them are actually my favourite directors or who I would give the accolade "Greatest Director Of All Time", were I to pick from all the films I have ever seen. there's no need to feign an apology Pablo, but unless it's agreed before the start of the tournament that we are all to vote in that particular way, as the contestants are eliminated people are simply going to vote for who they've enjoyed...and why not? Surely it's the point of cinema after all?
    This is!
    In fact, it's been explicitly stated that this contest was deliberately not entitled the Greatest Director of All Time.
    Which is really bigger and more important: all of history or this present moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    I may be wrong but I felt like you were orginally directing that at me, as when I voted Nolan last round I made comment on how I'd recently watched his films.

If so, I'm slightly offended that you imply I have low levels of retention! I watched Nolan's films recentley so I could make a more informed vote as I hadn't seen any of them except TDK prior to the poll. I'm not a Kubrick fan, therefore I went with Nolan because, for example, I vastly prefer The Prestige over A Clockwork Orange, which to me is very overrated.

It's preference, not an inability to compare over time.
    Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?

Country
    Country Flag

Well if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible. And still, I don't think Nolan presently is the best anyway. Again, my opinion.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You're certainly entitled to your opinion; you might even be right. I'm just hoping that everyone walks away from this game feeling good about the community.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

See, that's just it , this isn't 'just a game' to me, IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

For like 12 seconds right there, I was like, "Jeez, Amanda is super into this all of a sudden. Bizarre."
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AmanDUH View Post
    See, that's just it , this isn't 'just a game' to me, IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, that works, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    Hitchcock. This was actually pretty hard for me. I originally started typing this to help myself figure it out, but then I got distracted and started drawing pictures. So, here's how I decided:

Spoiler:

And that is how I rationalize.
    Hey, I just realized this reminds me of Youth In Revolt. Only better.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Hitchcock. That's who *I* voted for.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These "Halloween costumes" are killing me here! Tempus, I honestly LOVE your documented debate!

...and you picked correctly.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast