Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest director ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

9 31.03%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

20 68.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TDGT - FINAL - Nolan vs Hitchcock

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ledger did a fantastic job, that just doesn't reflect a great deal on the director in my opinion.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Well... I truly have to respect the fact that Nolan "allowed" Ledger to bring in that kind of performance. Not every director would - it took a lot of guts on Heath's part to even want to go that dark and become so immersed in the part. Nolan had to be supportive of that, encourage it and then make sure the camera caught it. It would have been very easy for him to ask Heath to pull back some. I do respect that of him.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I would agree with Prestige. I thought it was okay, but utterly forgettable once I walked out of the theater. I put more weight on The Dark Knight, that's for Ledger's performance.
    I preferred The Prestige, but then again you know, if you're a Batman fan you're bound to prefer those - whereas magicians/illusionists/Victorian England is really my bag and I was more personally invested in The Prestige over Batman because of that. The level of directorship was as good in each, but my attention wandered at some points during Batman Begins and I couldn't say the same about Prestige.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, um, I didn't even like Batman Begins. I was referring to only The Dark Knight. I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies.

I did like the Prestige, and it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting
    I was...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

I know, Jean. And a lot of folks were, just not me. To me, with the exception of the language, it could have been a Lifetime Made-For-TV movie starring Eddie Cibrian. :shrugs: Oh well.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Hitch
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well Nolan old boy, we sure had a great run, didn't we ?

/pours scotch

/cigar

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

sorry, feevie, I like Nolan, but Hitch has has a greater impact on me personally

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How is this even possible? Nolan? Greatest director? Maybe in another decade or two when we can objectively judge his work. Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
    sorry, feevie, I like Nolan, but Hitch has has a greater impact on me personally

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

.. it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest.
    This sums up my feelings towards Hitchcock's films in general.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    .. it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest.
    This sums up my feelings towards Hitchcock's films in general.
    Opposites attract, boyfriend!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Hitchcock....it's a run away train!!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Opposites attract, boyfriend!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    The true essence of directing may be the skill of playing upon that very psychology.
    of producing, you mean?
    Of film, anyway.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

aNd this dear friendas is why I love you all so.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Because we vote in tournaments ?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    How is this even possible? Nolan? Greatest director? Maybe in another decade or two when we can objectively judge his work. Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.
    Buuuut, he wasn't.

Thing is, we're not being asked to vote on who we objectively think is the greatest achiever or the greatest on technical merit etc, we're being asked who in our personal opinion is the greatest. In that case, greatest constitutes whatever has impacted you as an individual, not cinema as a whole.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If you honestly think that Hitchcock and Kubrick really are the two best directors ever, then you ought to be impressed that this contest came so close to your ideal. What are the odds?

...I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies. ...
    Or any of the earlier Batman movies? I think TDK was far better, (which shocked me at first viewing) but I would not say that I didn't like Batman Begins.

Interesting to recall that last year, the Joker was our runner up in Best Movie Character of All Time tournament.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm sorry then, because I approached this as a cinephile, weighing each candidate against the entirety of world cinema. For me Nolan wouldn't rate anywhere in the top 30 or so, maybe even top 50. I just don't understand what the fascination with him is that he's advanced so far. Aside from a few moments here and there in The Presitige and Memento, his films have been from good to average.

Just for shits and giggles, as if anyone cares, here are just some of the directors I rate higher than Nolan: Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Truffaut, Bergman, Chaplin, Buñuel, Cronenberg, Jodorowsky, Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Fellini, Scott, Verhoeven, Godard, Gilliam, Dreyer, Ozu, Jarmusch, Spielberg, Lang, Soderbergh, Capra, Coppola, Mizoguchi, Polanski, Renoir, Wilder. That's probably my top 30, in no particular order. And no Nolan.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Just for shits and giggles, as if anyone cares, here are just some of the directors I rate higher than Nolan: Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Truffaut, Bergman, Chaplin, Buñuel, Cronenberg, Jodorowsky, Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Fellini, Scott, Verhoeven, Godard, Gilliam, Dreyer, Ozu, Jarmusch, Spielberg, Lang, Soderbergh, Capra, Coppola, Mizoguchi, Polanski, Renoir, Wilder. That's probably my top 30, in no particular order. And no Nolan.

Just one man's opinion, of course.
    The only ones from your list I'd place above Nolan because of their filmography alone are Kurosawa, Bergman, and Kubrick. He's just as good, or perhaps better than Scorsese, Scott, Fellini, Soderbergh, etc, etc.

Some folks are making it a rule to vote against Nolan because they're still butthurt they he beat out Spielberg, Tarantino etc. He's done more in his relatively short time as a director than some of the other candidates have done in their entire careers.

And of course, this is just my opinion.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Is prejudice more a factor in favor of Nolan or against him? Who's to say?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Touche , my friend. Touche.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, um, I didn't even like Batman Begins. I was referring to only The Dark Knight. I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies.
    Holy crap, really? Man, I'm surprised. Have you ever posted a longer opinion on Batman Begins, turtlex? I'm interested to know more.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast