Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the Final ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martin Scorsese

5 22.73%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

17 77.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TGDT - Semi Finals - Scorsese vs Hitchcock

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...
    I feel the same way, minus the liking NbN part.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'd list the entire Hitchcok filmography. But out of that I'd point out Psycho, Rear Window, The Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca... Need I go on? The greatest director if ever there was one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    I'll agree with that. Sub in Spellbound for North by Northwest and I'm with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... The 39 Steps, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry ...
    What everyone has said, plus The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions); and, of course, Lifeboat and Rebecca (that have both already been mentioned).

Special thanks to path for listing my favorite Hitchcock film.
    But I thought you picked The Lady Vanishes.
    Okay, just now read The Hitchcock Thread and I see you put The Trouble With Harry first there. You're welcome, anyway; I love it, although I wouldn't call it typical of his work. In any case, it does belong on the short list, IMO, to further show his range, how his directing can't be described with any one title. My own pick for favorite here is one that's perhaps a little too typical... not quite as much verve as many of the noted films of his peak years.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    If I might just interject here - I did really like North by Northwest ... I know some people consider it their favorite just because it's a very dramatic role by Cary Grant. A lot of people think of Cary Grant and think light-comedy, so seeing him in such a dramatic role, it makes the part stand out.
    It wasn't such a dramatic role, though. Not normal CG comedy, but NbNW is still relatively lightweight entertainment.
    I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...
    Exactly; I bet this opinion'll be another thing illuminated by her promised detailing of reasons for picking Scorsese over Kurosawa. Maybe it's related to points you once made --
    ...with The Rear Window, or The Lady Vanishes, - they are all very warm, and they have a lot of everything, just like a real movie should, in the bear's opinion; with their optimism and that multi-dimensional quality a movie will never have unless there is humor there... and they tell human stories which I personally find immensely touching... not at all like the deadly serious, solemn Hitchcock of Vertigo or Rope or The Birds, which, frankly, always feel to me bordering on self-parody, just because of their stubborn one-dimentionality.
    Now, in other news, can I go a little off the contest topic for a minute and talk about art in general? I first saw Shadow of a Doubt around 1979. I still associate it with my father, whose tastes I always respected, even when I was kind of distancing myself from them. A couple of years after that, he gave me his old comic book collection. For years, I read those on my own and bought more for myself, just watching Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day with the family. Those movies did influence me, however. I guess I never stopped believing that I myself would grow out of the pop that I was into, even though I didn't really want to consciously. Back in the 80s, we who saw some real value in things like Dungeons & Dragons were just nerds, thought of as out of touch. I disliked that, but I didn't seriously think it would ever change; I had that unconscious respect for old values. It did change, though. Now the mainstream of my grandparents' day is only dust, and now it bothers me. One day, you look around and you realize that no one is going to preserve things for you, that they won't be telling you what's supposed to be important forever, and that if you care at all, you really have to act like it. I think that may be what actually growing up is.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 10-12-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Stewart

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Hitchcock: North By Northwest
    May I ask why, frik ?
    a mystery for me, too
    Really? We're talking about favorites here - not best of..To me, this movie has everything: it's pure eye candy, has some amazing action sequences -this was the Indiana Jones of its day- plus jaw-dropping set-pieces.
    Definitely the most entertaining Hitchcock ever.

sk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

To you, pure eye candy + action sequences + set-pieces = everything ?

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ehm....chases, fights, twists, turns, secret identities, double crosses, great dose of suspense, excellent cast, some great camera work, suave but deadly villain -ah, its rediculous and improbable plot - , wonderful dialogue...
    As I said, the most entertaining Hitchcock ever.

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock advances !

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why, of course

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3