Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the Final ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martin Scorsese

5 22.73%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

17 77.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Semi Finals - Scorsese vs Hitchcock

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Voters :

What is your favorite film by either director, and why ?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock: The Lady Vanishes.
    Scorsese: none

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock : Rear Window. A perfect blend of cinematography and character study.

Scorsese : Goodfellas. It's raw power is undeniable, and it's ability to pull the rug out from under you at the most unexpected moment is remarkable.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hmmmm. Favorite and why.

Scorsese : Goodfellas. It's has depth and a breadth of storytelling that I truly enjoyed. The performances are dead on, and the blocking just outstanding. Not to mention, the million quotable, pitch-perfect delivery lines. Scorsese allowed his actors to truly inhabit the characters. There's not a mis-step among them.

Hitchcock : Lifeboat. I'm not sure why this is my favorite Hitch film, but it is. Something about 99% of it taking place on a small watercraft, but not feeling so much claustrophobic, but just so tension filled. It's my favorite Tallulah Bankhead performance.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Scorsese - I think my personal favorite would be Shutter Island.

Hitchcock - There's so many that I love. But my two favorites would probably be Rear Window and Rebecca. When it comes to those two it's hard for me to pick one over the other.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that is exactly why I said The Lady Vanishes. Or else I would have to think of about a dozen others, in addition to those two

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Scorcese: Raging Bull. Of all Scorsese's films that I've seen, I think Raging Bull sticks with me the most. The psychological turmoil is extremely powerful to watch, and is something that I think he nailed at the time but wasn't able to get back for years afterwards.

Hitchcock: Rear Window. Hitchcock's ability to make you feel completely safe and then completely trapped and terrified within the same apartment over the course of 2 hours is something that still amazes me after at least 15 viewings.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock: You can hardly go wrong. He's such a great director, so many absolute classics.
    I'm gonna say Shadow of a Doubt, 'cause I'm weird like that, but it's tough to choose.

Scorsese: The Last Temptation of Christ. Everyone thinks this film is no big deal when they look at it objectively. Hogwash.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd list the entire Hitchcok filmography. But out of that I'd point out Psycho, Rear Window, The Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca... Need I go on? The greatest director if ever there was one.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You can go on, just as soon as you remove North by Northwest from that list ...

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll agree with that. Sub in Spellbound for North by Northwest and I'm with you.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... The 39 Steps, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry ...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

hitch
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Scorsese - Goodfellas

Hitch - everyone who's a Hitch fan is gonna be mad at me but I really watch The Birds over and over again, way more than any other Hitch movie, and I have seen so many
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'd list the entire Hitchcok filmography. But out of that I'd point out Psycho, Rear Window, The Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca... Need I go on? The greatest director if ever there was one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    I'll agree with that. Sub in Spellbound for North by Northwest and I'm with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... The 39 Steps, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry ...
    What everyone has said, plus The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions); and, of course, Lifeboat and Rebecca (that have both already been mentioned).

Special thanks to path for listing my favorite Hitchcock film.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hitchcock: North By Northwest

Scorsese: none.

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    May I ask why, frik ?

My Mood
    Gay

The crop duster scene, of course!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    May I ask why, frik ?
    a mystery for me, too

My Mood
    Gay

If I might just interject here - I did really like North by Northwest ... I know some people consider it their favorite just because it's a very dramatic role by Cary Grant. A lot of people think of Cary Grant and think light-comedy, so seeing him in such a dramatic role, it makes the part stand out.

Country
    Country Flag

I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...

My Mood
    Gay

Plus, you know - I love Cary Grant.

Country
    Country Flag

I love him, too, but there's Suspicion, for example, which I think is way more interesting than NbNW

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    I love him, too, but there's Suspicion, for example, which I think is way more interesting than NbNW
    I'm don't know if I'd call it more interesting, but I did like Suspicion a lot. Great parts for Grant and Fontaine.

I liked the story in NbNW, and thought it was captivating. And I thought it was very well directed, just for those iconic scenes ( Mount Rushmore and the crop duster ) actually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast