Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the Final ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

14 50.00%
  • Stanley Kubrick

14 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TGDT - Semi Finals - Nolan vs Kubrick

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Nolan : The Dark Knight ... why? Because I think Heath Ledger's performance is absolutely amazing and I think it took a lot of guts for Nolan to let him go there. Not every director would have taken that risk.

Kubrick : Hmmm. Going to go with A Clockwork Orange. Why? Because it truly gave me a glimpse of a "future tense" that made me think ( and scared me ). It is textured and vivid, and disturbing.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan: The Prestige
    Kubrick: Dr.Strangelove

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nolan - Inception

Kubrick - I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but it's easily The Shining. One of my all-time favorite horror films. I just love it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Kubrick - I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but it's easily The Shining. One of my all-time favorite horror films. I just love it.
    I DISAGREE WITH YOU.

J/K. Although not my favorite, I still love The Shining.

-----

Nolan : The Dark Knight. His most ambitious, complete, self contained work to date. He turned the superhero genre on it's own, and in helped pave the way for one of the most mesmerizing, iconic performances in the form of Ledger's Joker.

Kubrick : A Clockwork Orange. A beautifully realized film, brimming to the top with rich imagery and intriguing musical counterpoints. The virtue of it's subject matter is debatable, what isn't is the impact it's had on cinema as a whole.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Nolan: Inception

Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove - I'm probably going to get stabbed for this, but I generally don't enjoy most of Stanley Kubrick's films. I did however, really enjoy Dr. Strangelove.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post

Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove - I'm probably going to get stabbed for this, but I generally don't enjoy most of Stanley Kubrick's films. I did however, really enjoy Dr. Strangelove.
    They'll have to go through me first. You're quite right.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan - Inception

...people, animals, and psychopaths.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey

sk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I DISAGREE WITH YOU.

This is great, btw. I see so many posts that go like, "I know you'll argue, but I think The Stand is worthless." So you argue, and then they act surprised!
    A Clockwork Orange. ...what isn't (debatable) is the impact it's had on cinema as a whole.
    Eh, I'm not so sure. Could you elaborate? I mean, I can't think of anything exactly the same.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll let this list speak for itself :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ockwork_Orange

Check it out.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll let this list speak for itself :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ockwork_Orange
    No, it doesn't. Like no list does, or especially not any Wikipedia entry - especially not if you're asked to elaborate on your statement. I would like to hear your thoughts, and I believe, so would path.

Country
    Country Flag

sorry guys, I know my post above is syntaxically imperfect, but I for some reason can't edit my posts: buttons just don't work (neither do the format buttons, like italics etc)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get home from work.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I DISAGREE WITH YOU.

J/K. Although not my favorite, I still love The Shining.

It's ok, I still love you
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    sorry guys, I know my post above is syntaxically imperfect, but I for some reason can't edit my posts: buttons just don't work (neither do the format buttons, like italics etc)
    Uh-oh. Glad that I've had no such trouble.
    Sure, I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get home from work.
    Cool. No pressure, but I would indeed like that, I bet.

Besides, when you look at that list, it isn't so very extensive, anyway, in cinema in particular. Punk, rock, metal, hip hop; okay, not surprising. Mostly TV references... Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Rocko's Modern Life, SpongeBob SquarePants, Duckman, Recess, Doug... uh, yeah, um, seriously, what is this supposed prove?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to show that it's influence extends much, much further than the realm of film.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I know that there's a sizable number of people who like the movie, but still don't think that that page on its own shows much at all about actual influence, or really anything very meaningful.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well then, that's like , your opinion, man.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Nolan: Inception. Perfection. I love its story and the idea construction creating the universe of the movie.

Kubrick: A Clockwork Orange. Because he created Alex DeLarge with that movie.
    Though, this is a tough choice for me to decide between A Clockwork Orange and The Shining which has a deep impact on me with espacially its scenery. So, I am with you there, Heather.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

*cough* *cough*Burgess*/cough*

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think she meant to say 'brought him to life'. Burgess created him, sure, but it was Kubrick's artistic vision that helped imprint Alex's image into the back of our minds.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

As well as Jack Torrance.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No comment.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I think she meant to say 'brought him to life'. Burgess created him, sure, but it was Kubrick's artistic vision that helped imprint Alex's image into the back of our minds.
    Shizzie, that's exactly how I see it.

Alex that I find lyrical is the one I met in the movie. Though his origin was shaped in the book, I still meant to say Kubrick created him. Because for me, Kubrick's interpretation makes quite a different Alex.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Full Metal Jacket. Why? Because it wasnt directed by Nolan.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast