Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 676 of 714 FirstFirst ... 176 576 626 666 674 675 676 677 678 686 ... LastLast
Results 16,876 to 16,900 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Mic drop.

That book stank.
    On a better note, Full Throttle is his best collection of stories to date.
    I just received an email from the library that my hold is ready for pick up. Once I'm done reading it, it's going to be time to start (over) thinking my Top Ten books published in 2019.

Traveler Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently I am at the last few pages of Four Past Midnight, I am waiting for Gwendy's Magic father to come in.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I won't say it, I won't!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read the new Gwendys? Is it even good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I won't say it, I won't!

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I've heard some say it's pretty good. I plan on listening to it after Full Throttle.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't say it, I won't!
    no comment also
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm reading it now, and it's decent. Chizmar's writing style is very straightforward; he tells rather than implies. Gwendy is well-drawn as a character. I'm about 60 pages in, though, and I'm not sure whether the actual plot has started. Things still seem to be getting set up.

It's also very short - as someone else said, large font, wide margins, blank pages between chapters (and a lot of small chapters). I doubt if it's twice as long as GBB.

Oh, I'm also reading/listening to The Mourner, the fourth Parker novel by Richard Stark. I'm making my way through the whole series in blocks of three books - I read the first three earlier this year.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I just finished reading GWENDY'S MAGIC FEATHER, and I'm very glad I really liked it.

Only two mistakes:

Spoiler:
    1. The last year of the 20th century is 2000. 2. The abbreviation for microphone is mike (or at least it should be).
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Mic vs. mike - it can be both, depends on the context.

Reading: Full Throttle.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading GWENDY'S MAGIC FEATHER, and I'm very glad I really liked it.

Only two mistakes:

Spoiler:
    1. The last year of the 20th century is 2000. 2. The abbreviation for microphone is mike (or at least it should be).
    Did not check out your spoiler (have not read the book yet) but better or not as good as Button Box?

looking for: The Road #208, Hill House #'ed, RB Gift,
    Dead Zone 1st/1st
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The spoiler doesn't give anything important away.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's mic in the US. Why mike? It is short for microphone.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

It's mic in the US. Why mike? It is short for microphone.
    I think to aid correct pronunciation (rhyming with bike, not brick). I somehow learned it as “mike” growing up, but have since seen it written as “mic”.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading Elevation at work since the paperback was just sitting there waiting to be purchased when I was out buying something for work.

I liked BUTTON BOX more, but although a lighter read, I still liked FEATHER enough to not regret ordering the limited editions.
    As far as Mic and Mike goes, two Irishmen walk into a bar see, and...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm about halfway through Crime and Punishment. The first 40 pages or so was harder to get through than I remember, but I'm right into it now. The murder scene and the build up to it just so goddamn well done. It's some of the most gripping pages ever written as far as I'm concerned. And for it's time it must have been so impactful because though it's not overly graphic in description, the sensation of it, it's just so visceral, you're just so in the mind of Raskolnikov that a strange sensation comes over you when you read it, as if you're an accomplice. That sense of being right there really helps the aftermath where Raskolnikov is quite mad. I really get the title of the novel so much more on this re-read. It can be taken quite literally, but metaphorically it also captures his mindset after the murder because he seems to be wrestling self-preservation/thrill of getting away with it against the weight of the feverish guilt/desire to turn himself in and accept punishment. The main reason I love Dostoevsky so much is his portrayal of psychology and emotion and his understanding of humanity, which doubly impressive considering he wrote Crime and Punishment 13 years before the birth of Psychology.

Maybe I'll re-read The Brothers Karamazov after this...goddamn that book is a monster.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting Sleeping Beauties again. Bought it when it first came out and read the first few chapters before life and other books distracted me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished IT. FANTASTIC
    Have read a few places that people were not too keen on the ending.
    No problems as far as I’m concerned.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started Hollow Heart by Ben Eads.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Me too. I'm at 25 according to my Kindle app. So far it's just been the set-up.

I'm also finishing Full Throttle. It's not as great as the previous two collections. Hill's stories are best when they feel like Hill stories. Unfortunately, this collection has at least three stories in which he's essentially rewriting Bradbury and his old man. They're okay but not even close to Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released and a few others. Still, I'm enjoying myself, just not as much as I thought I would.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Me too. I'm at 25 according to my Kindle app. So far it's just been the set-up.

I'm also finishing Full Throttle. It's not as great as the previous two collections. Hill's stories are best when they feel like Hill stories. Unfortunately, this collection has at least three stories in which he's essentially rewriting Bradbury and his old man. They're okay but not even close to Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released and a few others. Still, I'm enjoying myself, just not as much as I thought I would.
    Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released: I agree that these are the best of the lot. I highly enjoyed Faun and Dark Carousel as well. For me, it's his best overall collection to date. I was half and half on Strange Weather.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Started Periphery By Michael Winter and I'm liking how it started.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a third through Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It's a Canadian novel about a traveling theatre group traveling around The Great Lakes decades after a plague wipes out most of mankind almost overnight. It's quite good so far. The part I just read threatened to take me out of the story as it goes back to pre-plague stuff for awhile, but it ended up being pretty good stuff and I can tell it will pay off by the novel's close.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I decided to finally re-read East of Eden, which is one of my favourites yet I've never re-read it because it's not exactly a short read at 600 packed pages.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I decided to finally re-read East of Eden, which is one of my favourites yet I've never re-read it because it's not exactly a short read at 600 packed pages.
    I love Steinbeck. If I start rereading Steinbeck, I'll end up rereading everything he's written.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 676 of 714 FirstFirst ... 176 576 626 666 674 675 676 677 678 686 ... LastLast