Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 667 of 714 FirstFirst ... 167 567 617 657 665 666 667 668 669 677 ... LastLast
Results 16,651 to 16,675 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    House of Lies, Ian Rankin

I love Rebus.
    Me, too!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Recursion by Blake Crouch. I'm trying to go slow and make it last for a while since I know it'll be forever before we get another new book by him. Good thing is I've been so busy I've barely had any time to sit down and read. I'm really enjoying it so far.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let me know how it is! I loved Dark Matter, so I've been looking forward to the new one. I'm reading the new Michael Koryta now, but am thinking it'll be my next one.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm sure I'll love it and be raving about it once I finish Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself with that statement...
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Recursion by Blake Crouch. I'm trying to go slow and make it last for a while since I know it'll be forever before we get another new book by him. Good thing is I've been so busy I've barely had any time to sit down and read. I'm really enjoying it so far.
    Man, I've been dying to get that one, but am kinda making myself wait to buy it so I can "save" reading it for a while.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Currently reading: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm expecting it to be just as fun/light as Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Currently reading: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm expecting it to be just as fun/light as Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.
    It is; cut from the same cloth. Eminently enjoyable.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    It is; cut from the same cloth. Eminently enjoyable.
    I know that I REALLY enjoyed Long Dark Tea Time. Such a fun read.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished Mathematics: From The Birth Of Numbers by Jan Gullberg.

How was it? It may seem a bit formulaic on the surface, but it’s not derivative at all, and has more plotting than you normally see. It’s integrated pretty well, and it’s not exactly a book without a point. Looking at it from another angle, in theory there’s a limit to how much I can enjoy a book like this (my patience with nonfiction is finite), but it fulfills its function. Although readership is sometimes divided on these things, the author has powers you can really count on, which is a plus. All things being equal, when you add it all up, I suppose it was my type of book.

...in all seriousness, if you are a mathhead, look it up and see what you think. I enjoyed it.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just started John Steinbeck's The Pearl.

Did I choose it because Steinbeck is a towering genius of American literature? Because it's a timeless, penetrating classic from which I hope to derive wisdom and insight? Nah; I chose it because it's only 90 damn pages long. The book I really wanted to read right now is still in the mail (I should have it tomorrow) and I needed something mighty short to fill 2-3 days.

I'm only 29 pages in, and it's pretty dull going so far, but that's how it is sometimes. I've never read Steinbeck before, but if I hate it, I still want to read one of his major works (probably The Grapes Of Wrath or Of Mice And Men) to see what his best is, and then, at the very least, I'll know what all the fuss is about.

The book I really wanted to read, and am eagerly awaiting, is something I've never read before...The Exorcist. I'm so excited to read this I'm practically shaking (although not literally shaking).

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did I choose it because Steinbeck is a towering genius of American literature? Because it's a timeless, penetrating classic from which I hope to derive wisdom and insight? Nah; I chose it because it's only 90 damn pages long. The book I really wanted to read right now is still in the mail (I should have it tomorrow) and I needed something mighty short to fill 2-3 days.

I'm only 29 pages in, and it's pretty dull going so far, but that's how it is sometimes. I've never read Steinbeck before, but if I hate it, I still want to read one of his major works (probably The Grapes Of Wrath or Of Mice And Men) to see what his best is, and then, at the very least, I'll know what all the fuss is about.

The book I really wanted to read, and am eagerly awaiting, is something I've never read before...The Exorcist. I'm so excited to read this I'm practically shaking (although not literally shaking).
    Grapes of Wrath is definitely a classic. I have the Excorcist on my read list too. My favorite horror movie of all time (not a very original pick I know) so high expectations indeed.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I read it back in the 70's after the movie came out. I was too young to see the movie and we lived in Taiwan at the time, so american movies were limited to what the air force base would play, which was one movie a week. I drove through Taipei on my bike til I found a bookstore that sold english books. Found it and loved it. The movie , I saw years later, sucked compared to the book. Enjoy
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Grapes of Wrath was torture. I read it in 9th grade and we could have chosen to read Of Mice and Men or The Grapes of Wrath, but get extra credit for Grapes since it was longer. I wish I would've picked Of Mice and Men.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    The Grapes of Wrath was torture. I read it in 9th grade and we could have chosen to read Of Mice and Men or The Grapes of Wrath, but get extra credit for Grapes since it was longer. I wish I would've picked Of Mice and Men.
    Oh man. What does that say about Grapes of Wrath that you were rewarded more for suffering through it? I read it years back and I suspect that the extra credit had nothing to do with its length. That book was pretty torturous. I remember finishing it and thinking "All that for nothing?!"

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

A few years ago I felt compelled to read some of the classics and tried Lord Of The Flies, Of Mice & Men, Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe and The Old Man & The Sea. I finished LOTF, OM&M and TOM&TS but tapped out on RC & MD. In the end I didn't remotely like any of them but was glad I went through the exercise. My takeaway was that I'm a slacker and only want to read books that capture my interest from the outset. The only authors I'm willing to push through with these days are SK and Dan Simmons. Of those two Simmons makes me work much harder than King.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I can see how Moby Dick would be some people's definition of a slog, but I really enjoyed it (lucky for me, since my first MD read was with a $70 special edition on which I splurged without knowing for sure if I'd even like it - more on this at http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...1280-Moby-Dick).

I'm not opposed to dense or wordy "classics" on principle, but there has to be something there for me. Such books can be like a meatless sandwich; I can tolerate unadorned bread, but it had better be good bread.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished John Steinbeck's The Pearl.

As I mentioned before, it started off pretty dull, but then...things happened.

I found myself wondering if this was supposed to be a parable (against greed or possibly colonialism - are we supposed to blame the protagonist or those around him? Is he the "madness" or is he simply reflecting it?) or just a simple tale showing how fragile people and their relationships are, utterly at the mercy of circumstance. Perhaps all of it.

I came into this expecting not to enjoy it at all, but I did find it interesting and found myself caring about the characters. This is not to say that I loved it - it's not the kind of book that makes me say "Wow, I've gotta find more by this guy!" - but given that I have to read one of his longer classics at some point, and given that it made me think enough to write the previous paragraph, I'm not exactly dreading my next encounter with Steinbeck.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished John Steinbeck's The Pearl.

As I mentioned before, it started off pretty dull, but then...things happened.

I found myself wondering if this was supposed to be a parable (against greed or possibly colonialism - are we supposed to blame the protagonist or those around him? Is he the "madness" or is he simply reflecting it?) or just a simple tale showing how fragile people and their relationships are, utterly at the mercy of circumstance. Perhaps all of it.

I came into this expecting not to enjoy it at all, but I did find it interesting and found myself caring about the characters. This is not to say that I loved it - it's not the kind of book that makes me say "Wow, I've gotta find more by this guy!" - but given that I have to read one of his longer classics at some point, and given that it made me think enough to write the previous paragraph, I'm not exactly dreading my next encounter with Steinbeck.
    DUDE... do you read a book a day? Its unreal the amount you can read.... I wish!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I'm not opposed to dense or wordy "classics" on principle, but there has to be something there for me. Such books can be like a meatless sandwich; I can tolerate unadorned bread, but it had better be good bread.
    That's one of the best analogies I've ever heard.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    DUDE... do you read a book a day? Its unreal the amount you can read.... I wish!
    I'm much less impressive than I seem; The Pearl was only 90 pages. I usually read 9,000 - 10,000 pages/year (18- 25 books, depending on the books).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    A few years ago I felt compelled to read some of the classics and tried Lord Of The Flies, Of Mice & Men, Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe and The Old Man & The Sea. I finished LOTF, OM&M and TOM&TS but tapped out on RC & MD. In the end I didn't remotely like any of them but was glad I went through the exercise. My takeaway was that I'm a slacker and only want to read books that capture my interest from the outset. The only authors I'm willing to push through with these days are SK and Dan Simmons. Of those two Simmons makes me work much harder than King.
    I read Moby Dick in my teens and remember enjoying it a lot, although I can't remember anything about it now. I've debated on doing a re-read now, but am scared I'll be so miserable reading it and think "Why did I decide to torture myself like this? And what was wrong with me for liking this before?"

But I completely understand the being a slacker who only wants to read books that immediately capture your attention. I am so bad about giving up on books now. I used to refuse to quit a book before finishing it, but now, I can't even count the number of books I've abandoned because they bore the crap out of me. Reading should be for fun and shouldn't feel like work.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Reading should be for fun and shouldn't feel like work.
    In general I agree; I only disagree (and "disagree" is probably too strong a wrong word here) in the sense that, for me, some books are the equivalent of a walk that I don't feel like taking until I get out, and then the fresh air hits me, the trees look nice, my legs feel better, etc., despite the fact that I'd never leave the couch if I could manage it.

But don't misunderstand - some reading experiences are absolutely fatiguing; my experience with Dune was awful (details on just how awful here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1135723 - I enjoy citing myself).

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading should be for fun and shouldn't feel like work.
    In general I agree; I only disagree (and "disagree" is probably too strong a wrong word here) in the sense that, for me, some books are the equivalent of a walk that I don't feel like taking until I get out, and then the fresh air hits me, the trees look nice, my legs feel better, etc., despite the fact that I'd never leave the couch if I could manage it.

But don't misunderstand - some reading experiences are absolutely fatiguing; my experience with Dune was awful (details on just how awful here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1135723 - I enjoy citing myself).
    Nice analogy. Allow me to fuck up or totally butcher a Hemingway, I mean George RR, or shit I don't know who quote:
    I do NOT like to write, I like to HAVE WRITTEN"

That is how I feel about reading some classics.

I HATE hiking but love the view at the top.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished NOS4A2 last nite, loved it!!!!! Favorite Joe Hill book by far. One of my favorite books ever in fact.
    Started Revival today.....
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll add my own: I loathe running marathons but crossing the finish line is a magical feeling. Unless...

It's too hot. I'm getting sunburned and I still have ten miles to go. I'm having GI issues (read: I need to go boom-boom and the next washroom is 5k away). It's pouring. Or it's snowing. Or I rolled my ankle. Or some slowpoke is in the way and there's no room to pass.

Point is sometimes the battle isn't worth it. If what you're putting in isn't proportional to what you're getting out, just stop. Don't do things that aren't making you happy. Life's too short to gamble on bad books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 667 of 714 FirstFirst ... 167 567 617 657 665 666 667 668 669 677 ... LastLast