Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 662 of 714 FirstFirst ... 162 562 612 652 660 661 662 663 664 672 712 ... LastLast
Results 16,526 to 16,550 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Frederik Pohl - Gateway

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I finished Peter Straub's Ghost Story.

I've read it at least twice before and knew that I'd quite enjoyed it (not as much as Shadowland, but still a lot); the problem was that I'd forgotten so much of it (most characters, most events) that when some people recently suggested that Ghost Story might make a good novel for Suntup to produce, I thought "yeah, I think so," but couldn't remember enough to know if I'd even want that (my opinion of some books has changed wildly when I've gone long periods of time between reads). Fortunately, Ghost Story passed the re-read test with flying colors (the suck fairy hadn't laid a finger on it); I would love a Suntup (or Cemetery Dance, yes indeed) Ghost Story (but please do Shadowland first!).

At least one person with whom I share much literary taste has tried and failed to get past the first 50 pages or so of Ghost Story because there wasn't a whole lot happening. Well, it doesn't exactly have bodies dropping all over the place, but it does build intrigue and atmosphere in spades with the things that are happening (and being remembered), and I could've spent another hundred pages in...

…the library in Sears James’s house, with its worn leather chairs, tall indistinct glass-fronted bookcases, drinks on the little round tables, prints on the walls, the muted old Shiraz carpet beneath their feet and the rich memory of old cigars in the atmosphere.
    Honestly, the writing was such that, at that point, I really didn't care what events came to pass - sometimes he who tells it matters much to how much I enjoy the tale (and yes, I get a big 249B, East 35th feel from the Chowder Society, although I think Ghost Story predates The Breathing Method - no matter).

A satisfying resolution - a word about which:

Spoiler:
    I found it interesting that the "battle" here was actually quite spread out, taking its own time to build, in the sense that it isn't one conflict between A.M. and the various victims of Milburn, but several:
    - Sears going out on his own (and succumbing)
    - Stella falling into their clutches (and kicking ass)
    - Rick, Don and Peter teaming up to take down Gregory and Fenny
    - Rick, Don and Peter hunting A.M.
    - Don, alone years later, against a new incarnation of A.M.

I really couldn't be more pleased with this, although if I could change one thing...

Spoiler:
    The prelude ("Driving South") basically tells us that Don and A.M. will eventually face off after the events of the main novel conclude - perhaps A.M.'s eventual reappearance would've best been kept under wraps. I have always felt the same about Salem's Lot's prologue.

Some cool quotes:

"Noisy music makes me want to bite someone."
    "...it was hair with unfulfilled intentions."
    "...imagine the peace of lying down with your hands crossed on your chest, imagine sleeping under ice..."

Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't read it but who likes horror fiction enough to find themselves on a Stephen King-oriented site such as this - go to it!.

[Digression:

Speaking of a Suntup edition of Shadowland - if Paul is reading this - you know you pretty much have to include a glass owl with the lettered, right? Right.]
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Last night I started The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy; I'm now 39 pages in.

I've read one of his before (Executive Orders) so I pretty much know what to expect: functional/workmanlike writing, tons of military detail, and intrigue between and within nations, their officials, and others etc. This is one of those books you read to be entertained, not to be surprised, and so far, so good.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Last night I started The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy; I'm now 39 pages in.

I've read one of his before (Executive Orders) so I pretty much know what to expect: functional/workmanlike writing, tons of military detail, and intrigue between and within nations, their officials, and others etc. This is one of those books you read to be entertained, not to be surprised, and so far, so good.
    1) you are pretty spot on in your assessment. I actually thought the first 100 pages were its weakest, so if you’re already in, you’re going to enjoy the ride

2) I love books that sort of have a collision course type approach to them. Start these characters a million miles apart (physically or ideologically) and watch them crash into one another. I think the Jack Ryan books do this well

3) Dude, you take down your Churchill avi and THEN you start reading a book containing one of his most famous quotes??? Are you like Merlin or Ben Button living in reverse?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Gonna start The Strain next. Seems that people are liking it for most part...
    Cool! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it.
    I have read all 3 books of "The Strain trilogy" and I really enjoyed them. Hope you will too.
    LOVING it so far...
    Yes! I'm so glad.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've moved onto the third book in James S. A. Corey's Expanse Series - Abaddon's Gate, I'm only about 70% done but really enjoying myself.

So far this has been the series that keeps on giving, feels a bit like I've stumbled upon something akin to the Game of Thrones a Song of Ice and Fire series, but Sci-Fi as opposed to Fantasy (and yes I am aware of the George R.R. Martin connection to The Expanse). I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the series - in so much as; I'm very late to the party, the series is top quality and clearly beloved, and there's a lot of it to consume, including a well received television adaptation.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    I love books that sort of have a collision course type approach to them. Start these characters a million miles apart (physically or ideologically) and watch them crash into one another.
    That's a good description.

Dude, you take down your Churchill avi...
    Thanks for noticing; I decided to go with another historically great Brit - the incomparable Rik Mayall (and I'd better not be his only fan here...). [After I took Winston down, for a few minutes I did put up a fun Jim Anchower pic, but then realized Mayall would be a vast improvement.]

...and THEN you start reading a book containing one of his most famous quotes???
    Needless to say, I was pleased indeed to see that TSOAF pretty much took its title from Churchill.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I've moved onto the third book in James S. A. Corey's Expanse Series - Abaddon's Gate, I'm only about 70% done but really enjoying myself.

So far this has been the series that keeps on giving, feels a bit like I've stumbled upon something akin to the Game of Thrones a Song of Ice and Fire series, but Sci-Fi as opposed to Fantasy (and yes I am aware of the George R.R. Martin connection to The Expanse). I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the series - in so much as; I'm very late to the party, the series is top quality and clearly beloved, and there's a lot of it to consume, including a well received television adaptation.
    I must have missed your previous posts about this series. When you said "akin to Game of Thrones...but sci-fi as opposed to fantasy", I was very interested. I feel like I'm always searching for that perfect sci-fi adventure. I just added book 1 to my to-read list.
    I'm also apparently late to the party because I knew nothing of it until now.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

I must have missed your previous posts about this series. When you said "akin to Game of Thrones...but sci-fi as opposed to fantasy", I was very interested. I feel like I'm always searching for that perfect sci-fi adventure. I just added book 1 to my to-read list.
    I'm also apparently late to the party because I knew nothing of it until now.
    It's a Space Opera, but each chapter changes narrative perspective to a different character - just like GoT's, so that story telling mechanic gives it a similar feel.

Also, "James S. A. Corey" is a pen name for two writers who collaborate to write this series: Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. Daniel Abraham is a fantasy author and Ty Franck is the personal assistant to George R. R. Martin himself - so there are definitely some strong ties to the GoT's formula. But, you know, in space. It's _very_ good so far. Please let me know if you pick up the first book (Leviathan Wakes) and what your thoughts are.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished the Strain. I would have loved it so much more if I had not watched the show. It literally follows the book almost to a T. So odd in today’s world for that to happen. I mean it was almost word for word. For those of you that have finished the series.... does it deviate from the show? Get better or worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

so there are definitely some strong ties to the GoT's formula. But, you know, in space. It's _very_ good so far. Please let me know if you pick up the first book (Leviathan Wakes) and what your thoughts are.
    I'll definitely let you know when I pick it up. I'm very interested after doing a preview of the first page.

I finished the Strain. I would have loved it so much more if I had not watched the show. It literally follows the book almost to a T. So odd in today’s world for that to happen. I mean it was almost word for word. For those of you that have finished the series.... does it deviate from the show? Get better or worse?

Oh, darn. I didn't know you had already seen the show. I haven't seen it, but I can understand how that would take away from enjoying the book. I can't read books after seeing them in film/tv form. It ruins it.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

First Re-Read of Stephen King's The Dark Half
    12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson
    Lilja's Library by Hans-Ake Lilja

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson
    I’ve been thinking of picking this up; let me know how it goes.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely will, St. Troy. I can tell you now if you watch his classes, speeches (not just sensationalized click bait) then you are pretty much set. I feel the book does not cover or add much more. Just my thoughts. He is very thoughtful. You know he is a serious thinker when you hear him reply to someone with "You know, great question. I have been thinking about that for a FEW WEEKS!" Few weeks? That is some deep thinking. Ha!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

75% through Sleeping Beauties and still really enjoying it
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Ending is different and Nora’s story line is changed in the show. There are other smaller differences if I recall.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Getting this beauty:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm not into the AF, but that book is nicely done, as is the video (a book video with clean sound and steady video is always a treat).

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Finally finished my ARC of The War Within by Stephen R. Donaldson. I took so long not because it wasn't good (it was) but just because Real Life left little time for reading.

I liked it, and am looking forward to the concluding volume. It's quite different from his other work - I'd call it political intrigue in a fantasy setting. There is much scheming and plotting, and a lot of world- and character- building. There is not much physical conflict, and surprisingly little overt sorcery - although sorcery does play a pivotal role in the story. Donaldson's prose and dialogue is as compelling as ever. I've really come to like these characters.

On the downside, the villain hasn't yet manifest in any tangible way, so the threat is a bit nebulous. As a result, story doesn't have the passion or emotional intensity of some of his other work. It also has some pacing problems. But I expect both of these weaknesses will improve in the final volume.

A solid 3/5.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished Tom Clancy's The Sum Of All Fears.

It was the expected good read, no more, no less.

As I've said before about Clancy, you expect "functional/workmanlike writing, tons of military detail, and intrigue between and within nations, their officials," and one reads Clancy "to be entertained, not to be surprised." For me, these are not books I would read a second time or rave about to others, but they entertain, and this did.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Sleeping Beauties and enjoyed it, not loved it. Wanted more for the ending and a few answers to questions in the book. It was a good read though.
    Now I am reading Th Shining and loving it. I became a SK fan when Salem's Lot came out and never read it. Seen and own both the movie and tv series, the better is the series. Going straight to Doctor Sleep next, it is the main reason I finally am reading The Shining.
    I may even finally read Carrie. The problem is it is hard for me to want and read a book after seeing the movie, even though the book will be better. (the exception is Silence of the Lambs, book and movie were equal)
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Just finished Tom Clancy's The Sum Of All Fears.

It was the expected good read, no more, no less.

As I've said before about Clancy, you expect "functional/workmanlike writing, tons of military detail, and intrigue between and within nations, their officials," and one reads Clancy "to be entertained, not to be surprised." For me, these are not books I would read a second time or rave about to others, but they entertain, and this did.
    I really like Jack Ryan books, but have always felt that great spy novels focus not only on what the protagonist/main spy knows, but also when they know it. Clancy tends to focus only on the what and not the when.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Finished Sleeping Beauties and enjoyed it, not loved it. Wanted more for the ending and a few answers to questions in the book. It was a good read though.
    Now I am reading Th Shining and loving it. I became a SK fan when Salem's Lot came out and never read it. Seen and own both the movie and tv series, the better is the series. Going straight to Doctor Sleep next, it is the main reason I finally am reading The Shining.
    I may even finally read Carrie. The problem is it is hard for me to want and read a book after seeing the movie, even though the book will be better. (the exception is Silence of the Lambs, book and movie were equal)
    Man, I loved The Shining when I finally got around to reading it. I also have a problem with trying to read a book if I've seen the movie/tv series, so I put off The Shining for a really long time. I was so engrossed in that story once I started it and finally understood why the movie is referred to as Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. They are so different- with the book being 100 times better.
    I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Now I am reading Th Shining and loving it...Seen and own both the movie and tv series, the better is the series.
    You know it!

(I hope I'm interpreting your post correctly, that you prefer the TV miniseries of The Shining to the Kubrick item).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 662 of 714 FirstFirst ... 162 562 612 652 660 661 662 663 664 672 712 ... LastLast