Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 652 of 713 FirstFirst ... 152 552 602 642 650 651 652 653 654 662 702 ... LastLast
Results 16,276 to 16,300 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    This morning I finished The Letter, The Witch, And The Ring and began The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn, which will complete my Bellairs mini-marathon.
    How are they resonating with you? I dug him so much as a kid but am worried that I’ll be so underwhelmed by reading them now after having built those childhood reading experiences into near mythological proportions of joy that it’ll almost tarnish my childhood memories of bonding with his stories
    They are resonating with me just great.

Certainly you become a different person and a different reader as you age; I've found books that have "aged" poorly for me (of course, the book hasn't changed, I have), but the Bellairs books held up perfectly.

I think King once referred to his work as the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries; you could say that Bellairs' work was the literary equivalent of cookies and milk, with a basic, cozy combination of mystery, creepiness (not quite "horror"), simply sketched yet intriguing characters, in plots that are complex enough to hold interest but don't strain to reach some kind of literary height. Ordinary (adult) novels take on heavier loads; there is more potential fault to find when a more advanced, observant "you" re-reads something that had impressed you years earlier. With Bellairs, I don't think there are any plot holes to find, tropes to worry over, strained prose, inconsistencies etc.; again, these are chocolate chip cookies, not baked alaska, and Bellairs made good cookies.

If, like me, you haven't outgrown cookies, you might not have outgrown Bellairs. If the idea of creaking stairs, secret passageways, bits of magic lurking here and there, and the ticking of an unseen clock still catch the attention of the part of you that just wants to hear or read a story, you may still be as in tune with these books as you were. I hope you get the result I did.
    Fine, I’ll read one again but now I just mostly want cookies

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Just started “The Fisherman” by John Langan. It’s been described by one reviewer as “Lovecraft but more comprehensible, King but less manic” (wtf!). Anyway, so far so good.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm really enjoying it so far.

When you're done that one, you can read his wonderfully upbeat "Little Star." And by that, I mean it will disturb the living shit out of you.

I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable reading a novel.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really know what "King but less manic" means, but this actually felt like a lost Peter Straub book to me. Incidentally, Straub praised this book so I don't think my assessment was too off. Enjoy the ride, if you can. The writing is superb but the story moves like snails through peanut butter.

I recently finished The Halloween Children. Fun read but I can't say I "got" any of the characters' motivation. Or what purpose they served at all.

I'm forcing myself to finish Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu. I might start a Brian Keene book next. Something light and gory might strike my fancy right about now.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started with Geistkrieger / Ghostwarrior from Sonja Rüther.
    Its a native american crime fiction novel

Spoiler:

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Just started “The Fisherman” by John Langan. It’s been described by one reviewer as “Lovecraft but more comprehensible, King but less manic” (wtf!). Anyway, so far so good.
    Picked up this book when I saw him last weekend. Let me know how you enjoy it. I'm dying to read it but I have so many books on my pile to read that I don't know how quickly I'll get to it.

Currently reading The Woman in Black. Hoping to finish it soon so that I can start The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren before Halloween.

And I'm almost done with Needful Things. I was reading the actual book, but I started it over a month ago, got halfway through and need to finish it for bookclub next week. There's no way I would be able to finish it that quickly, so I switched to the audio book narrated by King. I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ...The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren...
    Do let us (me, really) know how this is once you get to it.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up this book when I saw him last weekend. Let me know how you enjoy it. I'm dying to read it but I have so many books on my pile to read that I don't know how quickly I'll get to it.

Currently reading The Woman in Black. Hoping to finish it soon so that I can start The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren before Halloween.

And I'm almost done with Needful Things. I was reading the actual book, but I started it over a month ago, got halfway through and need to finish it for bookclub next week. There's no way I would be able to finish it that quickly, so I switched to the audio book narrated by King. I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.
    I just finished Needful Things a few days ago. I’ve never been an audiobook person but I think I would struggle with that as well bc there’s so much jumping around from character to character. If you get distracted while driving etc, you might not even know you’ve switched to different characters in a diff part of town.

Really loved the book though. Reminded me so much of the town I was born in

And then I watched the movie. Yeesh. So much potential and quite a few talented actors. Also I was hoping for a kiefer Sutherland cameo that never happened

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I don't really know what "King but less manic" means, but this actually felt like a lost Peter Straub book to me. Incidentally, Straub praised this book so I don't think my assessment was too off. Enjoy the ride, if you can. The writing is superb but the story moves like snails through peanut butter.
    I have no idea what that meant either. This is silly but I felt slightly compelled to go on the defense for King when I saw it. Luckily my senses came back and I remembered I was reading it on Goodreads, home of countless self-affirmed professional critics.

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest. Incidentally, I fell asleep reading The Fisherman last night but, in all fairness, I was doped up on cold medicine and exhausted from a long day. I didn’t want to fall asleep though because, as you said, the writing is superb.

Sure thing! I envy you for seeing him at Merrimack. A friend of mine was there getting some books inscribed for me and I only found out after it ended that Langan was there. Would have been great to get a copy of this book inscribed as well.

I just learned about The Demonologist a few days ago! It’s what The Conjuring movies were based on, right? Definitely want to read that one, too.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How's The Woman In Black, Heather? I saw the movie before I knew it was a book and thought the movie was just OK.

however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.
    This is exactly what happens to me when I don't have a physical book in front of me. Unless I'm the one reading the words, I just can't pay attention. Same thing when listening to others read live.

The Demonologist is so good! Perfect read for the Halloween season.

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest.
    I think I remember enjoying Ghost Story, but it was kind of slow. More atmospheric than memorable characters or plot, I think.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm really enjoying it so far.

When you're done that one, you can read his wonderfully upbeat "Little Star." And by that, I mean it will disturb the living shit out of you.

I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable reading a novel.
    Jeez, you sell it so well.
    "You're gonna be so uncomfortable when you read this book".

And like a fool, I'll do it anyway and curse you for it.

I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. .
    This is the reason I can't do audiobooks. I'm kinda jealous of people who can because they are able to fly through so many books, but when I tried before, I also found myself just daydreaming about random things and not listening to anything. haha

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest.
    I just recently tried to give Straub a chance with Ghost Story. I sampled the book online, found it to be very intriguing, and rushed out to the bookstore to buy it before they closed on a Sunday night. I really really enjoyed about the first 20-30 pages, then suddenly, it became super boring out of nowhere. I didn't finish it and don't think I ever will.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet...
    Try Shadowland.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sure thing! I envy you for seeing him at Merrimack. A friend of mine was there getting some books inscribed for me and I only found out after it ended that Langan was there. Would have been great to get a copy of this book inscribed as well.

I just learned about The Demonologist a few days ago! It’s what The Conjuring movies were based on, right? Definitely want to read that one, too.
    I don't know how far away you are, but it's such a fun event. I'd definitely recommend going. All the authors are super nice and approachable. I have a huge stack of books to read now And I picked up a few cool prints from Glen Chadbourne.

John was really nice. We got there first thing because we couldn't stay too long, and he was the only one not there. I was worried I might miss him, but luckily he appeared before we left. Also I've never seen anyone write so tiny in a book

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    I just finished Needful Things a few days ago. I’ve never been an audiobook person but I think I would struggle with that as well bc there’s so much jumping around from character to character. If you get distracted while driving etc, you might not even know you’ve switched to different characters in a diff part of town.

Really loved the book though. Reminded me so much of the town I was born in

And then I watched the movie. Yeesh. So much potential and quite a few talented actors. Also I was hoping for a kiefer Sutherland cameo that never happened
    Finished Needful Things today. I enjoyed it, and I want to go rewatch the movie now. I saw it ages ago, and remember nothing of it. I'm not expecting much from it either, but I'm curious to see it since I just finished the book.

So the funny thing is that I listen to audiobooks all the time. I normally don't have a problem with them as long as the story is good and the narrator isn't atrocious. And I've listened to King narrate Bag of Bones, which I enjoy (although the book is way better) so I don't think it's his narration. Not sure what it is, but I will say there is some really bizarre music in it. I'd like to go back and read the second half when I get a chance.

How's The Woman In Black, Heather? I saw the movie before I knew it was a book and thought the movie was just OK.
    Well I just started, and he hasn't even made it to the house yet But it's a short book, so hopefully I can set aside some time this weekend and finish it.

The Demonologist is so good! Perfect read for the Halloween season..
    Yes, I remember you raving about it, and I've been dying to read it.

And speaking of Needful Things, I thought I'd share the window in our local bookstore with you guys. Sorry, it's impossible to take a picture without getting a reflection in it.

Country
    Country Flag

If you end up liking his writing, Let the Right One In is better than Little Star (which, aside from the aforementioned discomfort, is kind of slow). I haven't read Harbor yet.

And speaking of Needful Things, I thought I'd share the window in our local bookstore with you guys. Sorry, it's impossible to take a picture without getting a reflection in it.

I love when local stores/bookstores do cool stuff like that. Take note, Barnes and Noble!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Chatty

Default What are you currently reading?

I think I remember enjoying Ghost Story, but it was kind of slow. More atmospheric than memorable characters or plot, I think.
    “Slow burn” was a repeat descriptor in the reviews I saw. The way I see it, sometimes a good ending needs a slow buildup, or at least makes me appreciate it more. “The Terror” for instance ended up becoming one of my favorite books, but I didn’t really start loving it until the last third or so.

I just recently tried to give Straub a chance with Ghost Story. I sampled the book online, found it to be very intriguing, and rushed out to the bookstore to buy it before they closed on a Sunday night. I really really enjoyed about the first 20-30 pages, then suddenly, it became super boring out of nowhere. I didn't finish it and don't think I ever will.
    Ah bummer. Would that be called a “fast burn” then? I was just saying above how I had to power through the first 2/3’s of “The Terror” but then it really paid off. It was interesting how it happened. I kept giving up on it but I kept going back because I oddly remained interested in where it was going. So I’d go back, read 50-100 pages and put it down again. Must have read five other books throughout the process. Then after I got to a certain point I couldn’t put the thing down. After finishing it I was even tempted to start over to enjoy the first 2/3’s again because, at that point, I loved what I had previously been bored by. Anyway, I guess I’m rambling but my point is maybe Ghost Story will eventually call you back.

Try Shadowland.
    I will, thanks!

I don't know how far away you are, but it's such a fun event. I'd definitely recommend going. All the authors are super nice and approachable. I have a huge stack of books to read now And I picked up a few cool prints from Glen Chadbourne.

John was really nice. We got there first thing because we couldn't stay too long, and he was the only one not there. I was worried I might miss him, but luckily he appeared before we left. Also I've never seen anyone write so tiny in a book

Spoiler:
    Unfortunately it’s not very close so I doubt I’ll ever make it there. It definitely sounds fun, though! And based on the inscriptions I’ve been seeing around on Facebook, it’s not hard to believe the authors were super nice. I hear even Laird Barron was in a good mood

Glad to hear you got to see John! Congrats on all the pick ups.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. .
    This is the reason I can't do audiobooks. I'm kinda jealous of people who can because they are able to fly through so many books, but when I tried before, I also found myself just daydreaming about random things and not listening to anything. haha
    I can't do audiobooks either.

I'm a daydreamer too.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Oh man, that's so awesome! I love it.
    If you own an independent bookstore and aren't doing things like this, what's the point of having the bookstore? I know there's the whole selling of books thing, but still...haha

If you end up liking his writing, Let the Right One In is better than Little Star (which, aside from the aforementioned discomfort, is kind of slow). I haven't read Harbor yet.
    You know, I was actually curious over Let the Right One In before you even mentioned Handling the Undead to me. I'll keep it in mind because I am enjoying his writing.

Ah bummer. Would that be called a “fast burn” then? I was just saying above how I had to power through the first 2/3’s of “The Terror” but then it really paid off. It was interesting how it happened. I kept giving up on it but I kept going back because I oddly remained interested in where it was going. So I’d go back, read 50-100 pages and put it down again. Must have read five other books throughout the process. Then after I got to a certain point I couldn’t put the thing down. After finishing it I was even tempted to start over to enjoy the first 2/3’s again because, at that point, I loved what I had previously been bored by. Anyway, I guess I’m rambling but my point is maybe Ghost Story will eventually call you back.
    It is definitely possible. Hell, it took me multiple tries to get into The Gunslinger.
    I won't toss Ghost Story out..yet.

I love when local stores/bookstores do cool stuff like that. Take note, Barnes and Noble!
    Oh man, that's so awesome! I love it.
    If you own an independent bookstore and aren't doing things like this, what's the point of having the bookstore? I know there's the whole selling of books thing, but still...haha
    I think I posted pics when they opened up because they also have a Stephen King themed bathroom, a Stephen King bookclub, and have done numerous King themed windows. Not to mention everyone there is just wonderful. Really couldn't ask for a better bookstore in town.

Country
    Country Flag

Now that you mention a Stephen King bathroom, I do remember you posting pics.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Artemis by Andy weir and loved it!!! It was a cool story with some cool science to back it up, just like the Martian.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I am just starting The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon. So far so good. It will take a while since it is 600 pages.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Neil Gaiman - Angels & Visitations

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Tim Willocks : "Memo From Turner.
    If you have never read Willocks try "Green River Rising".
    I doubt you will be disappointed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 652 of 713 FirstFirst ... 152 552 602 642 650 651 652 653 654 662 702 ... LastLast