Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 644 of 714 FirstFirst ... 144 544 594 634 642 643 644 645 646 654 694 ... LastLast
Results 16,076 to 16,100 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
    I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.
    I felt the same way when I finally got around to reading it. It's not something I'll ever read again, but I guess I'm glad I read it the one time.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I felt the same about The Exorcist. I hadn't seen the movie before I read the book, so that wasn't a factor. I guess it had just been so built up as the scariest movie/book of all time, that I was a little let down. Like Heather said, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it, but I doubt I'll read it again. I think I might have even liked Legion, the sequel, better.

Any opinions on The Outsider yet? I'm about 170 pages in and think it's a little slow going. Definitely better than Sleeping Beauties so far, but I do wish the writing was a little tighter. I'm wondering how he's going to sustain another 400 pages.

Side note: I almost wish the cover would've been different, too, because it all but tells you there's something
    Spoiler:
    supernatural going on (which takes some of the tension out of the "How could Terry be two places at once?" question). Of course, I could be totally off base here, but I'd bet money it's something supernatural.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved The Outsider! I really enjoyed it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts was great. It's his first book since Echopraxia, a book with which he said he "self-pwnt" himself (and I can't really disagree with that). The Revolution is much more concise and has an actual plot. I finished it on one sitting. Check it: https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Frame-...rrL&ref=plSrch

I was really looking forward to Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World. It was a quick read but the book was very disappointing overall. What little there was of the plot was very disjointed, characters were boring and the so-called ending ... well, in my Amazon review I said maybe the final chapter got lost in the mail. Compared to this The Mist and especially Cell will feel satisfying. I believe Tremblay meant for the reader to come to their own conclusion, but really it felt like he gave up because he wrote himself into a corner. The end of this book could easily be part one in a 600-page apocalyptic tome. TL;DR version: this is really lame Cloverfield fanfic.

I'm going to pick up Laird Barron's and Michael Marshall Smith's new jams in hopes of forgetting The Cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Micha...fpL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Standar...iKL&ref=plSrch

Oh yeah, I'm also reading The Best of Richard Matheson a story each day. I have the Penguin Classics edition.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Starting “Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories” by Harlan Ellison. Admittedly I’ve never read anything by him before, but with all the posts here and on Facebook about his death, I must be missing out on some great reading.
    Yes! This isn't his best collection but if anyone needs to be convinced of the man's way with words, Doing Hard Time will fuck you up in ten minutes flat.

I love his absolute disregard for his readers' feelings and sensibilities.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Starting “Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories” by Harlan Ellison. Admittedly I’ve never read anything by him before, but with all the posts here and on Facebook about his death, I must be missing out on some great reading.
    Yes! This isn't his best collection but if anyone needs to be convinced of the man's way with words, Doing Hard Time will fuck you up in ten minutes flat.

I love his absolute disregard for his readers' feelings and sensibilities.
    I read Mefisto in Onyx last night and I completely get what you’re saying. The last couple of pages were an emotional roller coaster of fuck no! and fuck yes!, ending with a huge hell yeah. Guess I’m reading Doing Hard Time next, haha.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts was great. It's his first book since Echopraxia, a book with which he said he "self-pwnt" himself (and I can't really disagree with that). The Revolution is much more concise and has an actual plot. I finished it on one sitting. Check it: https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Frame-...rrL&ref=plSrch

I was really looking forward to Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World. It was a quick read but the book was very disappointing overall. What little there was of the plot was very disjointed, characters were boring and the so-called ending ... well, in my Amazon review I said maybe the final chapter got lost in the mail. Compared to this The Mist and especially Cell will feel satisfying. I believe Tremblay meant for the reader to come to their own conclusion, but really it felt like he gave up because he wrote himself into a corner. The end of this book could easily be part one in a 600-page apocalyptic tome. TL;DR version: this is really lame Cloverfield fanfic.

I'm going to pick up Laird Barron's and Michael Marshall Smith's new jams in hopes of forgetting The Cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Micha...fpL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Standar...iKL&ref=plSrch

Oh yeah, I'm also reading The Best of Richard Matheson a story each day. I have the Penguin Classics edition.
    Got to agree regarding Tremblay. Read "Head Full of Ghosts" and thought it was so blatantly derivative and without any depth of characterisation. He's one of the most over-hyped authors today - and I put the blame squarely at the feet of King.

Laird Barron, on the other hand. An amazing talent, although I'm a little anxious about his turn to crime noir (do we really need another school-of-hard-knocks, tough talking, tough as nails vigilante?) Let us know what you think of it...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    I thought it was terrible. Far too long as usual with King's books. He needs an editor who does not suck up to him and leave everything in.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    I thought it was terrible. Far too long as usual with King's books. He needs an editor who does not suck up to him and leave everything in.
    Have to agree with you here. The investigation could have taken half the time. They should have devoted more time to the villain. You know, to actually develop the character.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Have to agree with you here. The investigation could have taken half the time.
    This.

If we didn't know whether or not
    Spoiler:
    Terry did it, the investigation would've been more interesting. But since we pretty much know he didn't do it, all the clues and pieces of Ralph & Co. investigating weren't as engaging.

However, I'm really liking Holly's involvement. Makes me wish she was the sole investigator from the beginning.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Christine by Stephen King (for the first time).

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Ooh! Fun! I really enjoyed Christine a lot when I finally got around to reading it.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Awesome, Tommy! One of my favorites that I've read several times. Very rare that I read a book twice or more.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
    I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.
    Oh that’s a bummer. It’s coming up soon for me and I was looking forward to being scared senseless. Will you let me know if it’s as scary as people say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I felt the same way when I finally got around to reading it. It's not something I'll ever read again, but I guess I'm glad I read it the one time.
    I ended up giving up. It just couldn't hold my attention. I find that happens with books that are slow build ups or over talked about.

I moved on to Wayward Pines and I am loving it so far

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Wayward Pines is AWESOME!

Country
    Country Flag

Seconded!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    It really is. He writes damm well. I wanted Paul to do a Suntup set of the Pines series!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    +1 loved the trilogy

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I need to reread ASAP!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, I need to go back and finish books 2 & 3. WP1 was great.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Wayward Pines trilogy was really good. Thanks again, Heather & Amanda for recommending it.

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Wow this Wayward Pines is getting great reviews on Goodreads. It sounds really good too. Thanks for posting about it!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wayward Pines is awesome. One of my favorite set of books.

Feev, what are you waiting for?!?!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow this Wayward Pines is getting great reviews on Goodreads. It sounds really good too. Thanks for posting about it!
    Adam.... heather told me about it. GET your hands on the series. It was my fav read of that year (2015 I think)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read and liked In Cold Blood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 644 of 714 FirstFirst ... 144 544 594 634 642 643 644 645 646 654 694 ... LastLast