Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 641 of 714 FirstFirst ... 141 541 591 631 639 640 641 642 643 651 691 ... LastLast
Results 16,001 to 16,025 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Listener... hated it. Seemed so juvenile.
    Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.
    It sure is... I have always found that fascinating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is interesting how opinions can vary....
    I am still wondering what planet the Harry Potter haters hail from.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I finished The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I enjoyed it a lot (best new (to me) fiction I've read in a while), and I look forward to reading The Wise Man's Fear, but I am concerned about setting myself up for the long wait for book 3 (Pat don't work none too quick).

If I were to quibble, I'd say I wish TNOTW spent less time on
    Spoiler:
    Denna. I get that a teen boy will be fascinated or obsessed with an attractive girl, but this is a very pedestrian feature of an otherwise extraordinary life.

Still, a good book is a good book, and this was.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I started Last Call by Tim Powers.

Still very early in the book; in fact, I haven't come close to even finishing the part I already read in an online sample (through Barnes & Noble's website, I think), which was mighty intriguing. It's been months since I read that; I've really been waiting for this read.

After reading The Name Of The Wind, I'd originally planned to read something recommended by my daughter and wife (All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr), but I enjoyed TNOTW so much that I felt I had to follow it up with something else I might really enjoy (I can't be sure I'll love Last Call, but the sample was long enough and good enough that I am confident).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read any N.K. Jemisin? I have heard she is really good and was considering starting "The Fifth Season" trilogy.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a group of juniors in my English class that are engaged in book clubs right now, so I have four books going at once.

Luckily I am rereading The Long Walk (SK) and Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett). These are two of my favorites, and luckily some of the kids took my advice and jumped on board. Still it's a pleasure to reread each. One of the kids reading The Long Walk just discovered the Vietnam connection - great blogging discussions.

The two new ones that I am reading I had wanted to read anyways. I am reading Redshirts (John Scalzi) and Artemis (Andy Weir). Redshirts is a very funny book with lots of self-referential humor, while Artemis is just a space caper romp. Enjoying both so far (Redshirts a little more). I think both would make great films. I am halfway through each.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Just started The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell. So far so good.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Alma Katsu - The Hunger

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Just finished BONFIRE by Krysten Ritter, the actress from Jessica Jones and Breaking Bad. I was very impressed by it -- a good thriller. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms Ritter over the weekend.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Alma Katsu - The Hunger
    Quoting myself because that's how I roll. The Hunger is essentially the summer time version of The Terror. Highly recommended.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Alma Katsu - The Hunger
    Quoting myself because that's how I roll. The Hunger is essentially the summer time version of The Terror. Highly recommended.
    Ok, you sold me. Now I need to add that book to my list

Currently making my way through The uncut version of The Stand. Think I'm about 450 pages in. Last time I made it to around 570. Hopefully I'm not reading this all summer.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dying to start Kings new book.... anyone here loving it?? I hear lots are elsewhere

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started "The Outsider" and I like it so far. tell you more when i get further along.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just finished The Talisman for the first time, about to start Black House, which I'm excited for

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Just finished The Talisman for the first time, about to start Black House, which I'm excited for
    superb! I so wish I could read BH again for the first time. It's in my top 5 King books.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Just started two books, one new and one a classic. I'm a big fan of Charles Soule's comics (his Daredevil run is incredible and The Death of Wolverine was pretty good too) so picking up The Oracle Year was a no-brainer.

I also just started The Necroscope by Brian Lumley. My first Lumley. Hard to tell how much I'll like the rest of the book, but the prologue has me hooked.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just started "The Outsider" and I like it so far. tell you more when i get further along.
    Over half way through and I think it is great!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah me too. I’m 80 pages in and HOOKED!! It’s like an old King book for me....

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I finished Last Call by Tim Powers.

Although I did enjoy it and plan to read more by Powers (this was the first I've read of his), and I wouldn't use the word "disappointing," it didn't quite hit the highs I'd envisioned when I first read the online sample. I'm not sure I can point to why; it just felt a little "small scale," like I'd thought more would be at stake than there ended up being. Still, I enjoyed the poker/tarot world Powers created, and it ended well.

Some spoilerish comments:

Spoiler:
    Although Scott and Diana knew they were going to get together, I appreciated that Powers didn't dwell on this. Much fiction really likes to layer on the "he gave her a stare; she felt her pulse quicken" cheese when people are attracted to each other, but he stuck to the story.

Is Dondi Snayheever Last Call’s equivalent to Gollum?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I began Moby Dick, which I've never read (I'm almost 50; I probably should've gotten around to this by now).

I'm reading a special edition of this (full details at http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1085753); do check it out.

This is the first book for which I took the leap of faith of buying the special edition without having previously read it (something I won't even do with King). The thing is, I fell in love with this edition (through the online info) and decided to grab the chance to make my first read of MB a special experience by buying this edition. Also, given that MB (from the bits I've sampled online as well as reviews) is a dense 19th century classic, it has a pretty high floor; the worst case scenario would be that I come away with an admiration and appreciation for it without being in awe, and I can live with that.

My main concern is that I do my reading on the train, and this is a huge, pristine (for now) white book. Last night, on the train home, a young boy in a stroller brandished a soggy half-eaten Oreo at his fellow travelers, only a few feet away from me and my copy of Last Call. I was not worried; my copy of LC is a very used ex-library copy, with stains, tape marks and anything else you can think of - if he'd thrown the Oreo my way, I would've snapped it up in the book and returned it to his mother. But with MB, I'll have to be a bit more protective. Still, my train riding experience has shown damp foodstuffs in small hands to be the exception rather than the rule, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    superb! I so wish I could read BH again for the first time. It's in my top 5 King books.
    I didn't anticipate how different it would be compared to Talisman. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I definitely get vibes of Se7en and that Ps3 game Heavy Rain.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the Outsider and I loved it!!! Great story, with gerat characters, and a great ending!! What more can you ask for!!!

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Man that took me forever to finish “The Hungry Moon.” Some scenes kicked some serious ass but I thought it was a little boring at times. Overall I enjoyed it but I was hoping for more...

Spoiler:
    What really bothered me about this story was the lack of a satisfying pay-off. Being blinded was not nearly enough for what those townspeople did. I thought Campbell could’ve at least described some of the associated agony that I assume comes with being blinded by the sun. But it was a matter of a few lines that simply informed us they were now blind. I don’t think I’ve ever been more annoyed or frustrated by a fictional character as I was with three of those vindictive fuckers.

Now it’s time for some pulp horror with Guy N. Smith to try to find some of that missing pay-off. Starting with “The Sucking Pit” and then on to either “The Slime Beast” or “The Crabs” series.

My Mood
    Chatty

“The Imago Sequence” by Laird Barron

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    “The Imago Sequence” by Laird Barron
    Hell, yes! Nothing’s going to be the same again...

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started "The Listener" by Robert McCammon. On pg 100 not too exciting yet. Hoping it gets better....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 641 of 714 FirstFirst ... 141 541 591 631 639 640 641 642 643 651 691 ... LastLast