Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 636 of 714 FirstFirst ... 136 536 586 626 634 635 636 637 638 646 686 ... LastLast
Results 15,876 to 15,900 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy a few days ago.

I guess you could call it a "small town story," the kind where everyone knows everyone else, gossip is mean, everyone is critical and no one is perfect.

Having read this, I'm not in a hurry to find similar works by other authors, but if JK did a sequel, I'd look forward to reading it. I did enjoy it.

Just before this, I read The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, and now I am ready to read something that...

Spoiler:
    ...doesn't end with the troubling death of young children. And the deaths here came as surprises; I immediately thought "if King had written this, we'd have had 6 - 8 tipoffs that it was coming."
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Recently started J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling (I plan to read the full Cormoran Strike trilogy without break); I'm now about 100 pages in.

The feedback I've gotten from everyone who's read The Casual Vacancy and the Cormoran Strike trilogy was unanimous that the trilogy was much better, but so far, I can't agree. While TCC has been very focused in a way that The Casual Vacancy wasn't, the two main characters seem mighty cliched - like what you might expect from a children's author attempting to write for adults (having read TCV first, I can't say that's what's going on; TCV was populated with individuals I feel as if I know personally).

I said I will be reading the full trilogy...but since the entire trilogy is based around one of the characters I (so far) find to be cliched, I suppose it's possible I will tire of him and have to bail out. Given how much I loved Potter and how deep TCV ended up being (and given how angry my daughter will be if I do bail), I suppose I will stick it out and give JK the benefit of the doubt. We'll see.

Speaking of bailing out (and I think this has come up here recently), I don't think I've ever stopped reading a book. I came close with Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas; I think I was 22 pages in when I seriously considered walking away. I'm glad I didn't, but I can't say OT was better than just okay, and anything it did well just felt wasted by all the things it didn't do well.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll sometimes pick a theme and run with it for an entire month. March is "books originally not published in English" for graphic novels, and science fiction for books.

I have a few things on the go right now:

Collected PKD Vol. 3 - one story a day
    Arthur C. Clarke - A Fall of Moondust - main read
    Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life and Others - at work

Along the Path of the Beam Starkraven7 is on a distinguished road Starkraven7's Avatar

Still working my way through Stephanie Meye's new one called The Chemist. Pretty good but I keep getting lost in the weeds.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    You know, I've had this one on waiting on my shelf for a while. Let me know what you end up thinking of it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

A couple of stinkers in it but overall very enjoyable. Chiang writes with heart, it's not just hard science fiction.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

The Stand, 1984 by George Orwell, and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (which I think can really complement The Stand if you imagine Flagg as being Uncle Screwtape).

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Finished J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy a few days ago.

I guess you could call it a "small town story," the kind where everyone knows everyone else, gossip is mean, everyone is critical and no one is perfect.

Having read this, I'm not in a hurry to find similar works by other authors, but if JK did a sequel, I'd look forward to reading it. I did enjoy it.
    Just finished The Casual Vacancy and thought it was pretty good. Rowling's peeling back the surface of small town relationships and inner workings brought to mind 'Salem's Lot, Needful Things and Peyton Place. I too would read a sequel.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Just finished The Casual Vacancy and thought it was pretty good.
    very good news for bears. I was afraid I was the only one to have liked it. I was a little disappointed by the overdramatic ending, but otherwise found it very enjoyable.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I was a little disappointed by the overdramatic ending, but otherwise found it very enjoyable.
    The ending certainly was dramatic, but I found it a suitable and sensible depiction of the consequences of the combination of apathy and nosiness the novel was all about.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    You know, I've had this one on waiting on my shelf for a while. Let me know what you end up thinking of it.
    I posted a review of this but the post seems to have vanished. I'll just say it wasn't all that as a collection but the title story is a masterpiece.

Reading: Upon the Dull Earth, collected PKD 3.
    Clifford D. Simak - All Flesh Is Grass

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I posted a review of this but the post seems to have vanished. I'll just say it wasn't all that as a collection but the title story is a masterpiece.

Reading: Upon the Dull Earth, collected PKD 3.
    Clifford D. Simak - All Flesh Is Grass
    The site went a bit wonky there for a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get around to it soon. I remember reading the first few pages at some point, but may not have been in complete reading mode at the time so it didn't grab me. But I didn't give up on it altogether.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, The Casual Vacancy (good) by JK Rowling, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.
    I want to read Jackrabbit Smile. I’ve recently begun Reading Joe Lansdale, so far so good. I read Don’t Let Go by Coben. Was disapointed with it too, I usually like his work and was surprised with that one.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Do we have a thread or place where we can exchange Goodreads usernames? I’d sure like to connect with you fellow Constant Readers and see what else you’ve read.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.
    I want to read Jackrabbit Smile. I’ve recently begun Reading Joe Lansdale, so far so good. I read Don’t Let Go by Coben. Was disapointed with it too, I usually like his work and was surprised with that one.
    Hope you enjoy your Joe Lansdale experience. He's a versatile and talented author.

Country
    Country Flag

I found a nice first edition of The Terror in Detroit this past weekend so that's what I'm reading right now.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm currently listening to Identical by Scott Turow.

I really like Turow. His characters are flawed in realistic and interesting ways.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I found a nice first edition of The Terror in Detroit this past weekend so that's what I'm reading right now.
    I just finished my re-read. Is this your first time reading it?

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I heard it's one of his best plus the TV show gave me extra motivation to finally read it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, I heard it's one of his best plus the TV show gave me extra motivation to finally read it.
    It's one of my all-time favorites, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's one of my all-time favorites, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.
    Need to read Terror as well. With Summer of Night being up there for me, will be interesting to see how much I like Terror.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Need to read Terror as well. With Summer of Night being up there for me, will be interesting to see how much I like Terror.
    Summer of Night is my other favorite of his. They're very different books though.

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished ‘The Listener’ by Robert McCamman. My oh my was this a great book. Such an enjoyable read. Even though it was a different story, it had that Boy’s Life feel to it. This one was a 5 star for me. If you like McCammon, I highly recommend. If you’ve never read McCammon, give it a shot.

WTB:

My Mood
    Chatty

I just finished ‘The Listener’ by Robert McCamman. My oh my was this a great book. Such an enjoyable read. Even though it was a different story, it had that Boy’s Life feel to it. This one was a 5 star for me. If you like McCammon, I highly recommend. If you’ve never read McCammon, give it a shot.
    Coincidentally I read a few samples of his today and knew immediately he’s an author I’ll enjoy. Planning on starting with either Swan Song or the Matthew Corbett series.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

+ Reply to Thread
Page 636 of 714 FirstFirst ... 136 536 586 626 634 635 636 637 638 646 686 ... LastLast