Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 635 of 714 FirstFirst ... 135 535 585 625 633 634 635 636 637 645 685 ... LastLast
Results 15,851 to 15,875 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Strange Highways by Koontz. Some really good stories in this collection, and some are Christian fiction through and through. I've said this before -- possibly worded differently but the idea was the same -- Koontz comes across as someone who barely leaves his McMansion while constantly judging others' ambitions and their "failings" at modesty. I've never seen anyone misjudge people at such a degree; his idea of what people are like couldn't be any further from my experience. It's like this: King makes poverty and blue collar Joes believable; Koontz writes them as if he did research on them, you know? The suffering doesn't seem legit.

Still, good stories and I guess that's what matters. If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.
    I've never read anything by Koontz but your statement, which made me laugh, has inspired me to give him a try.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Just finished Strange Highways by Koontz. Some really good stories in this collection, and some are Christian fiction through and through. I've said this before -- possibly worded differently but the idea was the same -- Koontz comes across as someone who barely leaves his McMansion while constantly judging others' ambitions and their "failings" at modesty. I've never seen anyone misjudge people at such a degree; his idea of what people are like couldn't be any further from my experience. It's like this: King makes poverty and blue collar Joes believable; Koontz writes them as if he did research on them, you know? The suffering doesn't seem legit.

Still, good stories and I guess that's what matters. If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.
    Have never read Koontz either so not sure of his background. King makes if believable because at one time, he was one of those Joes.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read some Koontz (Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Phantoms, and a couple I might be forgetting) and generally like him, but kind of feel like he's Stephen King lite. It's been a few years since I've read him, but I seem to remember feeling like he's characters weren't completely three-dimensional.

Finished up Bird Box and just started Strange Weather last night.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've read some Koontz (Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Phantoms, and a couple I might be forgetting) and generally like him, but kind of feel like he's Stephen King lite. It's been a few years since I've read him, but I seem to remember feeling like he's characters weren't completely three-dimensional.

I loved the first two stories in SW, the third was a complete miss for me, and the last one was so-so but I started to like it more towards the end. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you're done.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Just started J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy.

As with many others out there, this is the first non-Potter thing of hers I've read.

So far (65 pages in), it's what I was told to expect: a decent and enjoyable read that is neither excellent nor noteworthy in any way.
    I’m surprised you got that far.
    That rough, eh?

Did you try the Cormoran Strike series? I've heard that is much better than TCV.
    Those I like. Read the first two.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

I loved the first two stories in SW, the third was a complete miss for me, and the last one was so-so but I started to like it more towards the end. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you're done.

I also enjoyed the first two stories in SW more than the latter two which i thought had good underlying concepts, but the end result didn't really fulfil the concept.

Other than 20th Century Ghosts, I think Joe's stories have been "good, but not great".

Locke & Key, on the other hand, is outstanding and I really hope he revisits the story in the future.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    I also enjoyed the first two stories in SW more than the latter two which i thought had good underlying concepts, but the end result didn't really fulfil the concept.

Other than 20th Century Ghosts, I think Joe's stories have been "good, but not great".

Locke & Key, on the other hand, is outstanding and I really hope he revisits the story in the future.
    IMO, Snapshot and Loaded are two of his best stories to date. Completely agree about Locke & Key although I'm not sure how I feel about a revisit. I think it's near perfect as it sits.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Jupiter Project by Gregory Benford in a single day. I needed a quick 200-pager after three door stoppers last month.

Currently reading The Iron Tactician by Alastair Reynolds.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vandermeer's "Southern Reach" Trilogy. Book 1 was great. Book 2 and 3 were two of the most boring books I've ever read. Ever. Read S.T. Joshi's review of this on is blog - I think it's spot on.

(I have this rule of finishing books / series, that I start. This trilogy has made me revise that rule).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Vandermeer's "Southern Reach" Trilogy. Book 1 was great. Book 2 and 3 were two of the most boring books I've ever read. Ever. Read S.T. Joshi's review of this on is blog - I think it's spot on.

(I have this rule of finishing books / series, that I start. This trilogy has made me revise that rule).
    Safe to say you haven't placed an order with CD then

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bummer to hear. Still need to give the first one a read. Never good when a trilogy is strong by 1.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree. Loved the first. The good thing is you can read the first and just leave it as a standalone book. The last two aren't necessary to enjoy the first.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I agree. Loved the first. The good thing is you can read the first and just leave it as a standalone book. The last two aren't necessary to enjoy the first.
    That is good to hear. Will probably go that route. Too many books to read.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

That trilogy made my short list but after seeing the negative reviews, I'll just watch the movie instead.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the 1000 pages of The way of kings. It was great bit I need a smaller easy read for a day or so.
    I picked up miss perrigrines school for peculiar children

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm always amazed at folks who will decide whether or not to read something based upon another's comments on a message boards.

Different strokes for different folks, i guess.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Country
    Country Flag

It’s nice to hear others opinions and those that seem to have the same taste in books. However, I agree it can always be something you can like when others don’t. With so many books to read, I pretty much stick to the first 25 pages. Sometimes less, but I like to give books a chance if they come recommended. If I’m not drawn in by then, I move to the next. Forcing yourself through a book is never fun.

I was doing the ol’ literary agent ‘the four firsts’ method for a while, but that seemed too agressive and not giving the author a good enough shot.

I enjoy reading feedback and goodreads reviews and scores. Kinda gives me a rough starting point as to the ‘order’ in which I stack my ‘to read’ list.

WTB:

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara
    Oh, that is on my must-read list! How is it so far, Bev?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Oh, that is on my must-read list! How is it so far, Bev?
    Really good -- she's an excellent writer, and it's as much about her quest as it is about the mystery itself.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started American Gods. Ok so far... good book throughout for those of you that read it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was okay but at the same time it made me decide not to invest too much time in reading Gaiman. But that's strictly my opinion, I know many people love the guy!

Country
    Country Flag

American Gods was an interesting one for me. Overall I thought it was a good book, but there are parts, mainly historical flashbacks, that seemed distracting to me and I found myself skimming at times. Which didn’t detract from the story. I have always felt that had those parts been cut it would have been a much better read. It’s a good story for post reading discussion.

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    i'm always amazed at folks who will decide whether or not to read something based upon another's comments on a message boards.

Different strokes for different folks, i guess.
    Isn't that the point of reviews though? I trust the judgement of people on here. Over the years I've become familiar with certain people's literary taste, and I value their input. On the flipside, some books I run away from because people whose taste is at odds with my own have recommended them.

William F. Nolan - Dark Universe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 635 of 714 FirstFirst ... 135 535 585 625 633 634 635 636 637 645 685 ... LastLast