Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 621 of 714 FirstFirst ... 121 521 571 611 619 620 621 622 623 631 671 ... LastLast
Results 15,501 to 15,525 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I'm thinking of making The Terror by Simmons my next read.
    Well it's about time...
    Lol yeah seriously. I've seen the title thrown around so often, the curiosity got the better of me.
    I swear I recommended it to you years ago. If not I should have. It's one of my all-time favorite books. I really do hope you read it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.

I liked it (as I did TKAM); I enjoy that storytelling style.

Like many others, I suppose my main takeaway was

Spoiler:
    disappointment in Atticus.

Bottom line: if you liked TKAM, read this (and you probably didn't need me to tell you this).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

This is another one my daughter happened to have, and since many people rave about Gaiman, I thought I'd give it a try.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

My daughter actually has a shelf on one of her bookcases called the "disappointment shelf," dedicated to books that, well, you get it. She had seen quite a bit of heavy praise for this book, and it failed to match the resultant expectations.

I actually had no expectations; I hadn't read the jacket copy or Barnes & Noble blurb etc., so I simply hoped to enjoy it. I did enjoy it, but I didn't think it was a world-changer etc.; (to me) it was just a decent book that wasn't quite good enough to guarantee that I'd read more by that author (although I am likely to try a longer work of his, given the curiosity that his popularity here has created in me). I thought it had interesting things to say about how foreign childhood and adulthood are to each other (in that way, it was like a bite-sized version of It, although the stories told are completely different). I felt like it could've (or should've) gone a bit deeper with some things, but then again, the simplicity of the story (and the relation of
    Spoiler:
    one time period to another
    ) possibly means it was best left as it was. Still, I was entertained.

Any recommendations on what longer work of Gaiman's I should move on to next?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Starting my first Sanderson novel. Elantris
    It's awesome IMO

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Starting my first Sanderson novel. Elantris
    It's awesome IMO
    I am loving it so far. About half way though. Trying to decide it is will jump right into mist born after this or grab a quick King read then go back

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Moby Dick, odd, slow, but ultimately rewarding, then blasted through The Great Gatsby, which I loved. Now picking up Heart of Darkness and The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Horns. FANTASTIC book. On par with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Just finished Moby Dick, odd, slow, but ultimately rewarding, then blasted through The Great Gatsby, which I loved. Now picking up Heart of Darkness and The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain.
    I feel like you are my old English teacher in hiding. I hates all of those books except Great Gatsby. Other one I likes was of Mice and Men and that's all

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Just finished Horns. FANTASTIC book. On par with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box in my opinion.

That is my favorite Hill book to date. I loved that one.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I never could finish Moby Dick.

Heart of Darkness is very good. You'll have to watch Apocalypse Now again when you're done.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In an effort to break out of my 2+ month reading slump, I bought a hardcover copy of Gerald's Game (one of my last remaining SK books to read) for $4. It's in almost new condition and was cheaper than B&N's paperback copy, so you can't go wrong! Hoping to start it this weekend. Then I'll be ready for whenever Netflix decides to release the movie. (Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the adaptation of Delores Claiborne that I've had for a year.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Paul Tremblay's "Head Full Of Ghosts", prompted after king's glowing recommendation. The premise was good (modern-day exorcism as 'reality TV'), but I was disappointed on several levels: It didn't really explore the potential you could mine behind the values of a modern society and the exorcism (i.e., celebrity, religion, fundamentalism, scientific rationalism - it started to touch on these areas, but nothing significant enough); all of the characters seemed flat (or, at worst, mildly annoying - like the first-person protagonist); and - the book's fatal - it just was not scary. It had the POTENTIAL to do so much more in all of these areas, could have had some terrifying moments, but it didn't.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    In an effort to break out of my 2+ month reading slump, I bought a hardcover copy of Gerald's Game (one of my last remaining SK books to read) for $4. It's in almost new condition and was cheaper than B&N's paperback copy, so you can't go wrong! Hoping to start it this weekend. Then I'll be ready for whenever Netflix decides to release the movie. (Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the adaptation of Delores Claiborne that I've had for a year.)
    Opinion appears to be mixed about Gerald's Game. Personally, I loved it. I think it helps if you read it in as few sittings as possible, so you can dive deep into its quiet build-up of tension. Because the ending, for me, has stuck in my mind over a decade later. Enjoy!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Opinion appears to be mixed about Gerald's Game. Personally, I loved it. I think it helps if you read it in as few sittings as possible, so you can dive deep into its quiet build-up of tension. Because the ending, for me, has stuck in my mind over a decade later. Enjoy!
    Agreed!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Also loved GG.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Now, see what you did. Got me reminiscing and digging into the archives...

Here's some pictures of a floor display I made in my store back in '92 when the book was released. I just noticed that cool promo item in the background, which unfortunately I don't have anymore. And look at all those minty-fresh UK 1st editions...

Spoiler:

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty cool display, Paul! LOL
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The Dark Iceland" series by Ragnar Jonasson. Four books so far in this excellent detective/mystery series set in Iceland. Goldsboro Books carries signed copies.

http://ragnar-jonasson.squarespace.com/

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Norse Mythology by Gaiman. Well-written but just...silly, maybe? I wish he'd stop already with retelling and reimagining of stories/myths and write his own damned original novel (for adults).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Halfway through Horns by Joe Hill and I'm loving it! I don't think I've ever laughed out loud as much while reading. Some sad stuff in there as well though
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I enjoyed it; it was simple and moving. It's about a young girl living in Nazi Germany, so comparisons to Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl abound but really aren't appropriate.

I thought I would tire of the device of
    Spoiler:
    death telling the story in third person
    , but it didn't intrude on the narrative as I'd feared it would.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started The Kennedy Tapes: Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis by Ernest May & Philip Zelikow. I'm fascinated by the CMC and, as one of the most significant books on the topic, this should be a good one.
    Last edited by St. Troy; 04-11-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: can't spell for shit

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Elantris by Sanderson. I loved the book! Not too much detail but just enough to give great visuals and a wonderful story. I am going to start The Emperor's Soul by him so I can finish off the Selish system before I move onto my first Pratchett.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Saturn Run by John Sandford.
    I don't know if I should have heard of him before now, but I only randomly picked this book up off the shelf at Walmart because I recently quit a book mid-read and was desperate for some fantastic sci-fi story to quell my thirst. I am really really enjoying this book so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 621 of 714 FirstFirst ... 121 521 571 611 619 620 621 622 623 631 671 ... LastLast