Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 619 of 714 FirstFirst ... 119 519 569 609 617 618 619 620 621 629 669 ... LastLast
Results 15,451 to 15,475 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    have only just found out that there's also a collection (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams) that I missed

what are everyone's impressions? I'll probably try this one if I can find it
    It's King's short fiction, he always nails it, in my opinion, and this one has some great straight fiction pieces like Batman and Robin Have an Altercation.
    I agree. I'm almost through it and dig most of the stories. I've read that most didn't care for Blockade Billy but I really liked the story. But I dig most of King's short stuff so......
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never had a taste for King's short stories. His novellas are fine, but the shorter they are, I find the more they are lacking. I can only think of a handful of short stories from him I really, really liked, with Dolan's Cadillac, The End of the Whole Mess, and Survivor Type being three of them. Most of them are pretty forgettable to me. That's why I own most of his short story collections yet haven't read any to completion.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I think BoBD is his weakest collection. If you read it after Night Shift or Skeleton Crew or even Nightmares & Dreamscapes, it becomes pretty clear. There are some gems there for sure but yeah, mostly forgettable.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated?
    Abso-freaking-lutely.

There's a lot of classics where I genuinely don't understand why people like them, but with others I guess there's something to be said for not reading them at the "right time." Also, I have found that my opinion of some has changed upon re-reads. Loved 1984 the first time around (high school), didn't love it as much the second (college); HATED Brave New World the first time (high school), really enjoyed it the second time (college).

But Pride and Prejudice? No way.
    You're right about reading it at the "right" time. There are some I've not enjoyed, but wondered if the mood just wasn't right at the time (of course, I'm not gonna risk it by trying to reread it either. The Scarlet Letter is the book that taught me that life is too short to spend it reading a book that is torture.) Some books came along at the perfect time and I ended up loving them in ways I can't explain. I think I read William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying at some perfect moment in time because it ended up being one of my favorite books. I finished it, then immediately turned around and reread it to try to understand what is was about it that I loved so much. But then I tried reading other William Faulkner books and wasn't very moved by them.
    I have to say that I did try to read Jane Austen one time and ended up quitting about 5 pages into the book. Once again, life is too short!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What Jane Austen book did you try?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I love Faulkner, As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury and Light in August are my favorites.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to finish reading The Sound and The Fury. I'm about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is confusing in parts as different characters have the same name in different time periods and it's not explained all that well, and I had to actually look up a cast of characters for the book for it to make sense to me lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I have to finish reading The Sound and The Fury. I'm about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is confusing in parts as different characters have the same name in different time periods and it's not explained all that well, and I had to actually look up a cast of characters for the book for it to make sense to me lol
    Oh absolutely! It's one of the most confusing books ever. Gotta love that stream of consciousness! I don't mind being confused by a book as long as it's entertaining and/or beautiful. There is a film version of it but I will probably never watch it. I can't imagine the material translating well to screen at all.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    What Jane Austen book did you try?
    I want to say that it was Pride and Prejudice that I tried, but it's been so long that I can't be sure. I just remember being thrown off by the language style.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

currently reading: The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

have no idea whether it is going anywhere at all, but the reading is soothing, almost lulling... bears don't mind

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

have no idea whether it is going anywhere at all, but the reading is soothing, almost lulling... bears don't mind
    I just tried to start reading The Paying Guests last week but couldn't really get into it. This one sounds much better, let me know how it is when you're done.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I CANNOT PUT WOOL DOWN!! Are the other books in the series this good guys that have read it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

They are all good, but in my opinion Wool was the best of them.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just tried to start reading The Paying Guests last week but couldn't really get into it. This one sounds much better, let me know how it is when you're done.
    If. If I am ever done.
    It doesn't feel like it's ever going to end - or to start.
    at 49%, it is now approximately where it was at 10 or 5

I love them slow. I adore them slow. I hate it when tons of events are happening and everyone runs, shoots, shouts, burns, leaps from roof to roof and hangs from cliffs. But. Something must be happening. People must - talk, think, feel - whatever. There must be some drama to what I read, even if it is over what people eat for breakfast; some collision - even if it's about the bus being late. But some - tension; intrigue; articulation of perceptions, ideas, characters; whatever. So far The Little Stranger has been miraculously lacking most of the above; an initially pleasant, but increasingly annoying yarn.

Still am not losing hope for something - anything. Maybe the second half will make up for the first. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

If. If I am ever done.

I love them slow. I adore them slow. I hate it when tons of events are happening and everyone runs, shoots, shouts, burns, leaps from roof to roof and hangs from cliffs. But. Something must be happening. People must - talk, think, feel - whatever. There must be some drama to what I read, even if it is over what people eat for breakfast; some collision - even if it's about the bus being late. But some - tension; intrigue; articulation of perceptions, ideas, characters; whatever. So far The Little Stranger has been miraculously lacking most of the above; an initially pleasant, but increasingly annoying yarn.

Still am not losing hope for something - anything. Maybe the second half will make up for the first. Stranger things have been known to happen.
    I recommend never picking up La Nausee by Jean-Paul Sartre. I read it several years ago, and maybe I'd have the capacity to finish it now, but half way through I just gave up as nothing had happened. And I too like a slow burn.

Country
    Country Flag

LOL, I read La Nausee, and even liked it, but it was about 35 years ago - I was young and thought I liked Big, Real Literature with Thoughts. Now I am sure I wouldn't get past page five.
    (Still love Sartre's plays, though)

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about halfway through John R Little's Little by Little. Every time I have to put it down, I think of when I'll be able to pick it up again. The dude knows how to write! He's easy to read and has a way to quickly immerse you in the story and characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

If. If I am ever done.

Well that does not sound too promising

Country
    Country Flag

I'll keep you abreast of all developments.
    56% today. Still nothing.

Currently reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons. Perfect for a snowed in day Hoping it gets scarier like The Terror was.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons. Perfect for a snowed in day Hoping it gets scarier like The Terror was.
    Loved it but it is no Terror
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Does it get a little creepy at least? I'm not too far in, they're just organizing their trip to Everest now. Can't wait for them to finally get there.

I would love it if he would do a book about Antarctica. He mentioned in the intro that really wanted too, but so far has only written about the Arctic and then Everest. Hopefully it's something he'll do in the future. I'm fascinated by it. I would absolutely love to take a trip down there.

Country
    Country Flag

Does it get a little creepy at least? I'm not too far in, they're just organizing their trip to Everest now. Can't wait for them to finally get there.

I would love it if he would do a book about Antarctica. He mentioned in the intro that really wanted too, but so far has only written about the Arctic and then Everest. Hopefully it's something he'll do in the future. I'm fascinated by it. I would absolutely love to take a trip down there.
    All I will say... is not all is as it seems..................................
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    but it is no Terror
    Nothing is. An amazing, rare book.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Greg Bear - Blood Music
    Nancy Kress - The Best of Nancy Kress

+ Reply to Thread
Page 619 of 714 FirstFirst ... 119 519 569 609 617 618 619 620 621 629 669 ... LastLast