Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 558 of 714 FirstFirst ... 58 458 508 548 556 557 558 559 560 568 608 658 ... LastLast
Results 13,926 to 13,950 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I loved Song of Kali - so heart wrenching! Summer of Night was tremendous. If you liked it as much as I did you should go find a copy of the Roadkill Press "Banished Dreams," which is a portion of the novel which as edited out of the completed novel due to size restrictions from the publisher - a very cool piece that shares the haunted dreams of some of the boys. You should also go on a read Children of the Night, which is not a sequel, so much as some of the characters make a return visit - great stuff! I can kind of take and leave Bentley Little.

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Since I last posted, finished Summer of Night by Dan Simmons! Read Let's All Kill Constance by Ray Bradbury (finishing up that trilogy), then stormed through Song of Kali by Dan Simmons (what an awesome novel). Then read Little by Little by John R. Little and have started The Influence by Bentley Little (first of his I've read.)
    Yeah, Song of Kali really went in a few completely different directions then I thought it would, which was a plus for me! Very heart-wrenching
    Spoiler:
    but ultimately somewhat positive at the end
    . I did read Banished Dreams on my Kindle Paperwhite and agree that it added to the story. From something else I saw, another reason it may have been excised was
    Spoiler:
    because it kind of gave away that Duane died, as no dreams of his were written...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I loved Song of Kali - so heart wrenching! Summer of Night was tremendous. If you liked it as much as I did you should go find a copy of the Roadkill Press "Banished Dreams," which is a portion of the novel which as edited out of the completed novel due to size restrictions from the publisher - a very cool piece that shares the haunted dreams of some of the boys. You should also go on a read Children of the Night, which is not a sequel, so much as some of the characters make a return visit - great stuff! I can kind of take and leave Bentley Little.

Since I last posted, finished Summer of Night by Dan Simmons! Read Let's All Kill Constance by Ray Bradbury (finishing up that trilogy), then stormed through Song of Kali by Dan Simmons (what an awesome novel). Then read Little by Little by John R. Little and have started The Influence by Bentley Little (first of his I've read.)
    Yeah, Song of Kali really went in a few completely different directions then I thought it would, which was a plus for me! Very heart-wrenching
    Spoiler:
    but ultimately somewhat positive at the end
    . I did read Banished Dreams on my Kindle Paperwhite and agree that it added to the story. From something else I saw, another reason it may have been excised was
    Spoiler:
    because it kind of gave away that Duane died, as no dreams of his were written...
    Yeah, I only recommend "Banished Dreams" to those who have finished the novel for that very reason.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Thinking about giving up on Ready Player One by Ernest Kline. The premise seemed like the book was written for me. I'm 1/4 deep and I can't find a reason to pick it up again. Each time the nerds start one upping each other with inconsequential and mundane details about some irrelevant game, I start losing interest. The issue could be that I'm listening to it and Wil Wheaton is trying so damn hard to sound hip and enthusiastic about every word in the book. Just read the damn story, OK? I'll probably power through it. I listen to it when I'm running so depending on the weather, I should finish it within a week.
    I absolutely loved Ready Player One. Maybe it's the audio like you say. I simply cannot listen to audiobooks. I remember listening to Joyland and I gave up. It was annoying me. Mostly the way the narrator was taking on the different characters accents. Like acting the part. I can't stand that. One exception for me would be the Dolores Claiborne audio. On Joyland I just stopped listening and read the book from the beginning and it was way better. A whole different experience.

You should start over and read the book. It's fantastic. I don't know how old you are, but if you were a kid or teenager in the 80s then you will love it even more. Especially if you played the classic video games. I'm rambling so will stop now.
    I was familiar with most of the games and references in the book. I finished it today and you were right, it got much better. I listen to audio books all the time (driving, running, just walking around) but I'll make sure to steer clear of Wil Wheaton in the future. So dramatic.

Two things bugged me: there was no mention of what happened with the prize (money), and what happened with the Sixers. Those played a crucial part in the story so it would've been nice to get some closure. Other than that, it was pretty good. 8/10. I'll check out his new one when it comes out. Might even order the S/L from Subterranean.

About to start Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, and Gene O'Neill's retrospective collection called The Hitchhiking Effect.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Just finished The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice, much more enjoyable than Memnoch the Devil IMHO.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

About to finish Vittorio The Vampire by Rice as well and it's OK, I guess...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Will be flying to LA tomorrow and have no idea yet which book to choose from my Heathrow WHSmith. Suggestions anyone??

sk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started A Feast for Crows.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just realized that I'm about to start a new series (Hyperion) without having completed the Wayward Pines trilogy...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

r u mad at me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes. What are you waiting for? Did you read the second one yet or only the first?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read the first.

Should I finish the series before I move on to the next one?

I'm like a vampire. I can't deviate my reading course unless someone invites me to, LOL

Finish Wayward Pines! They're such quick reads, it's shouldn't take you long at all.

I'm a little more than half way thru Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer right now. Really loving it so far, and I'm dying to know more about Area X.

Traveler moreotter will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Breezy

I always read two books at once, but I recently found the book I was reading and misplaced, so now I'm juggling!

Unseemly Science by Rod Duncan- The 2nd in The Bullet-Catcher's Daughte/Gas-Lit Empire series, it's kind of a steampunk urban fantasy thing. Not mind-blowing, but well written with an interesting world.

Dune by Frank Herbert- I think this is new, and kind of obscure? I'll share my thoughts once I finish!!

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker- This was the missing book. I'm so thrilled I found it, as I agree with a lot of fellow readers already that it's a modern masterpiece.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I will! GOSH.

And I loved Annihilation. Still haven't read the second book though... (are you sensing a pattern here? LOL)

Yes I am I'll let you know how the second one is when I get to it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I'm like a vampire. I can't deviate my reading course unless someone invites me to, LOL
    Yes, you should finish the series!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've started my copy of Go Set a Watchman a few minutes ago. I've been avoiding all the reviews and discussions so as to not spoil anything.

John

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Yes, you should finish the series!
    I already ordered book 2 from Amazon.

Along with Fables 19

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll have to get an e-book of Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. I've borrowed the hardcover from the library and the page layout is bugging me. The text starts really close to the middle of the book and goes nearly all the way to the edge of the page. That probably sounds silly but long, dense paragraphs are more difficult to read. It's not the length of the paragraph/number of words but the layout.

Anyways, I finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. John Scalzi's quote on the cover of the book is "Ann Leckie nails it." He's not wrong. 5-stars for characters, setting, narrative...everything.

Tom Piccirilli passed away a few days ago. I think I'll read something of his now in his honour.

Traveler DarthMalice777 will become famous soon enough DarthMalice777's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started The Martian by Andy Weir. 46pgs in, really digging the science/storytelling so far. Up next is either It or Dark Tower series again

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I've started my copy of Go Set a Watchman a few minutes ago. I've been avoiding all the reviews and discussions so as to not spoil anything.

John
    Just got my copy delivered today but don't plan on reading it yet as I just started a new book. Hopefully Watchmen is good. May re-read Mockingbird first before I start this one.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMalice777 View Post
    I just started The Martian by Andy Weir. 46pgs in, really digging the science/storytelling so far. Up next is either It or Dark Tower series again
    I've been curious about that for a while.

I'm sort of in reading limbo right now, so I'm just doing a re-read of Life of Pi.

Traveler DarthMalice777 will become famous soon enough DarthMalice777's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMalice777 View Post
    I've been curious about that for a while.
    Another 40pgs in, and I'm hooked with Martian. Can't wait to see what happens next!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 558 of 714 FirstFirst ... 58 458 508 548 556 557 558 559 560 568 608 658 ... LastLast