Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 490 of 714 FirstFirst ... 390 440 480 488 489 490 491 492 500 540 590 ... LastLast
Results 12,226 to 12,250 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    I feel like this is more of an excuse for Tolkein to squeeze in as much of his world-building as possible, instead of actual plot. I thought George R. R. Martin was bad about that, but this is really blowing my mind. I don't need every song to be typed out word for word.
    Yes! Thank you. I've just read The Hobbit, but that was enough. I wanted more of a plot, and the songs definitely got on my nerves. In case you ever want to be a multi-million dollar author, here's the formula you should use:

Fantastical, woodsey setting + quest that doesn't pick up speed until the last 20 pages + 2 page song complete with lyrics inserted randomly + characters walking through forest + continuous talk about how the quest is so dangerous, yet few people actually die + another song (this time, 3 pages) + walking through forest (but wait! it's dark out, now!) + setback in quest that doesn't lead anywhere + singing while walking through the forest = happy ending with no emotional payoff whatsoever.

You're welcome.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    The Damnation Game by Clive Barker
    Just read that a few weeks ago. It starts off really well but then turns flaccid about midway through ...

Let me know what you think of it.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i've got a few Barker books already, all six books of blood, weaveworld, cabal and the hellbound heart, even got a signed copy of the anthology tales hellbound hearts

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read Imajica (which I loved), and The Damnation Game (eh).

Really want to do The Great and Secret Show next.

Country
    Country Flag

i'm waiting for The Scarlet Gospels still

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tolkien sucks.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I don't need every song to be typed out word for word.

I hate it when songs are typed out in books.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Finished Horns. Really enjoyed it.
    Starting Heart Shaped Box tonight
    bears would love to know which you loved better. To me, they seem like in entirely different leagues.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Halfway through The Brothers Karamazov. Its marvelous.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I knew that! I knew that!!!

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I feel like this is more of an excuse for Tolkein to squeeze in as much of his world-building as possible, instead of actual plot. I thought George R. R. Martin was bad about that, but this is really blowing my mind. I don't need every song to be typed out word for word.
    Yes! Thank you. I've just read The Hobbit, but that was enough. I wanted more of a plot, and the songs definitely got on my nerves. In case you ever want to be a multi-million dollar author, here's the formula you should use:

Fantastical, woodsey setting + quest that doesn't pick up speed until the last 20 pages + 2 page song complete with lyrics inserted randomly + characters walking through forest + continuous talk about how the quest is so dangerous, yet few people actually die + another song (this time, 3 pages) + walking through forest (but wait! it's dark out, now!) + setback in quest that doesn't lead anywhere + singing while walking through the forest = happy ending with no emotional payoff whatsoever.

You're welcome.
    Exactly! In the book, he's all "oh, another hobbit stayed at Frodo's house to make people think he hadn't left... they wouldn't realize how dangerous that was until later." Yeah, you know what happens? The riders knock on the front door and the hobbit runs out the back door. Oh yeah, super dangerous when he could get away in about three seconds.... They don't even go after him.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit was originally a kids book hence the songs, after the success of Hobbit his publishers wanted to know if he had anything else they could publish so he presented them the original Silmarillion and they didn't like it so they asked for a sequel to The Hobbit which was Lord of The Rings

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I knew that! I knew that!!!
    I haven't read his stuff pre Notes From Underground, I assume I should, should I?

Country
    Country Flag

Hard to tell. I love everything he wrote, so I am not the best advisor. I absolutely adore The Village of Stepanchikovo (1859), but I can't imagine it in English. Though, come to think of it, I can't imagine his other stuff in English, either

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Im going to have to learn Russian to read it in its true text, Thats how good he is. Dostoevsky or Tolstoi, which do you think was the greater writer?

Country
    Country Flag

Dostoevsky!!!!!!!!! Not a shadow of doubt about it!

Do learn Russian, I will help you if needed!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have five Tolstois...War and Peace, Life, My Religion, The Physiology of War and My Confession. Have you read them?

Country
    Country Flag

Never managed to make it through any of them.

Country
    Country Flag

i've been hit round the face with a hardback copy of war and peace

Country
    Country Flag

did the plastic surgery ruin your family?

Country
    Country Flag

no, just dislocated my jaw

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    The Hobbit was originally a kids book hence the songs, after the success of Hobbit his publishers wanted to know if he had anything else they could publish so he presented them the original Silmarillion and they didn't like it so they asked for a sequel to The Hobbit which was Lord of The Rings
    Good to know this so I can change my expectations. On the other hand, I love tons of "children's" books (Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Ender's Game) and LOTR is just not holding my attention.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Ka-Mai, try reading The Simarillion, now that is a challenge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 490 of 714 FirstFirst ... 390 440 480 488 489 490 491 492 500 540 590 ... LastLast