Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 436 of 714 FirstFirst ... 336 386 426 434 435 436 437 438 446 486 536 ... LastLast
Results 10,876 to 10,900 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm starting Blaze tonight. So far I have only read the intro.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saint, Dawn Eden

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Bear, here I'm going to have to disagree with you. If the story isn't appealing, no amount of excellent writing will save it. To me, both are equally important.

John
    I am not sure. One of my favorite books of all times is Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis, and I am not sure it has any story at all. Dickens's Old Curiosity Shop is as lousy a story as can be, but the book is absolutely awesome (the same goes for Nicholas Nickleby). Most Huxley or Waugh novels don't really have stories, and Dostoyevsky novel's are so sloppy, story-wise, they can match Dickens's storytelling. I absolutely adore all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I agree as far as that goes and personally if I must choose between good writing and good story I'll choose story every time.
    well, there must be some difference between bears and brices?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Jean, let me know how you like it. I still keep putting it off.
    so far it has been excruciating: very, very fantasy. I will persevere, because feverish and brice promised it would be good, - then it must be, eventually.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Honestly, your criticism of Dickens's stories bears but praise of his writing has really grabbed my interest: Dickens has never been an author who has interested me much, or at least, the number of BBC and film adaptations of his work that seem to crop up on a regular basis, although the one story I have read, The Signalman, was one I really enjoyed. I just didn't like the idea of reading something a lot longer than that, tbh, especially as none of the stories have interested me at all. But if you think his writing is that good, I'm gonna need to check it out.

How far into A Game of Thrones are you, btw? Again wondering if it's one of those things like Lost that bears will disagree with feev, Brice and me on, really.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Honestly, your criticism of Dickens's stories bears but praise of his writing has really grabbed my interest: Dickens has never been an author who has interested me much, or at least, the number of BBC and film adaptations of his work that seem to crop up on a regular basis, although the one story I have read, The Signalman, was one I really enjoyed. I just didn't like the idea of reading something a lot longer than that, tbh, especially as none of the stories have interested me at all. But if you think his writing is that good, I'm gonna need to check it out.
    Try Martin Cuzzlewit first! If it doesn't work, nothing will.

How far into A Game of Thrones are you, btw? Again wondering if it's one of those things like Lost that bears will disagree with feev, Brice and me on, really.
    2% in - reading it on my Kindle. Maybe it will get better.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Let us know when you're more into it. If you continue to find yourself put off by it, look on the bright side: you've got another LoM analysis by me to read!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

oh! at last!!

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    The Long Walk is one of my favorites as well. I reference it often when working with students on Lord of The Flies projects and now with the Hunger Games being so popular.
    That's awesome I was not the only one to draw that connection!

I just finished Pale Gray For Guilt- really liked it but kind of a let down after the previous McGee book- and started Wind Through the Keyhole this morning.
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Finishing the last 100 pages of Human Action.

http://t.qkme.me/364hve.jpg

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first Dickens I read was Great Expectations, which is very good. Oliver Twist is also good. Janis correct that the stories are not amazing, but his writing is very good. The one that sticks out to me is The Pickwick Papers. It's more like a biography of his adventure not much point to it, but very well written.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I agree as far as that goes and personally if I must choose between good writing and good story I'll choose story every time.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Affirmative Action Around The World: An Empirical Study, by Thomas Sowell

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Affirmative Action Around The World: An Empirical Study, by Thomas Sowell
    Everything I've read by Sowell is very good.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.
    To quote a famous movie, "We'll always have Children of the Corn."

I may have paraphrased a bit.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Along the Path of the Beam Faddah Callahan is on a distinguished road Faddah Callahan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well, why do you think Dickens is bears' favorite author ever? His stories suck like nobody's business, but the writing, oh Lord, the writing...
    Have you read "Drood" by Dan Simmons? This is connected...

Country
    Country Flag

no, I haven't!

: interested :

Along the Path of the Beam Faddah Callahan is on a distinguished road Faddah Callahan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    no, I haven't!

: interested :
    Give it a shot, I suggest! Mr. Simmons' historical fiction is usually quite interesting, and "Drood" is all about the last years of Charles Dickins from (friend-and-fellow-author) Wilkie Collins' point of view. With some fantastic elements thrown in. And it was wrapped up in, I thought, a very satisfying manner. I thought of it cos Collins says, as you said, that Dickins' writing style is what makes him so worthwhile (although he's a bit miffed by that, cos he believes himself to be the superior crafter of plots and characters, if not as good a writer).

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is definitely a great book.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I am trying to download it now

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Incredibly, I haven't read a single page in a few days. I ran out of books on vacation and haven't had the motivation to pick anything up.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Last night I read a few more pages of Skeletons in the Closet. I've really slowed my reading lately.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I change my mind: Tom Piccirilli - Every Shallow Cut

+ Reply to Thread
Page 436 of 714 FirstFirst ... 336 386 426 434 435 436 437 438 446 486 536 ... LastLast