Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 713 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Oh man, who remembers the Choose Your Own Adventure books?

I loved those things. I bet I've read them all.
    my favorite was the one about the magic carpet, i think it might still be at my moms house in a box somewhere......
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I actually read every single Laura Ingles Wilder(The Little House on the Praire stuff) book when I was 12 years old, and I have absoloutely no explanation for it. haha.
    one summer that i was away from a library and school i read 4 romance novels my mom has gotten in the mail as one of those book club things. sometimes you just hafta read.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    i'm currently reading a bunch of kids books i hadn't rad since I was way younger, like Maniac Mcgee, Red Badge of Courage, Call it Courage, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Banner in the sky. ...
    I loved ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS when I was elementary school. Now that you brought it up, I want to read it again.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I loved ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS when I was elementary school. Now that you brought it up, I want to read it again.
    while you're at it, read Call it Courage. It's the same caliber type book, but it's about a boy.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Christopher Pike
    Wasn't that the name of the captain that was in a weird wheel chair in the very first Star Trek pilot?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    That dummy one was horrifying.

I also read all the Christopher Pike books when I was a pre-teen. I was preparing myself for Stephen King.

I also loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid and the Bobsey Twins. I also liked the Little House on the Praire books.
    Now your talking! Nancy Drew and the Bobsey Twins!!! And Little House in the Big Woods was my favorite.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wasn't that the name of the captain that was in a weird wheel chair in the very first Star Trek pilot?
    I do believe it was.

John F. Kennedy That Joking White Guy is on a distinguished road That Joking White Guy's Avatar

I've been reading quite a bit recently

I finished 2 books in the past few days that are fairly decent
    "Why Orwell Matters" By Christopher Hitchens
    "Jerusalem Syndrome" By Marc Maron

and right now I'm reading through "The Book Of Five Rings" By Miyamoto Musashi
    which is also fantastic, if you're into that kind of Japanese Samurai culture thing.
    “As I never tire of saying, heat is not the antithesis of light but rather the source of it.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

My Mood
    Breezy

It's not in Japanese or anything, is it?

If not it sounds like something I might enjoy reading.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

while you're at it, read Call it Courage. It's the same caliber type book, but it's about a boy.
    OK, thanks. I don't think I read that one, I'll look for it when I start getting caught up on my reading list.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

The last two I've read were:

Thomas F. Monteleone - Fearful Symmetries
    - if you like short fiction, Thomas is very good at it. This was a great collection of short stories, and I highly recommend the book. I was turning page after page with ease, I loved it!

King - From A Buick 8
    Reading this book after reading The Colorado Kid produced some some obvious similarities. This book is a story about the mystery of the Buick 8. Even though we are given hope that there will be a closure to the Buick 8 at the end of the story, it really isn't the meat of the story, the meat is the mystery.

Also, The Buick 8 is the main character of the novel, just like the the dead man from Colorado was the main character from The Colorado Kid. I found these two novels to be similar in delivery, it's just one had a supernatural aspect, but in reality they were almost the same story.

I give it a grade of C

Currently I'm almost finished with the first Discworld book, Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's ok, and I can't help but to compare him to Piers Anthony and the Xanth novels. It's a fun little read, but it has nothing substantial that I can take away from this novel. Another C, at this point (we'll see...)

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

currently re reading a game of thrones By GRRM
    also reading cell by SK
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

John F. Kennedy That Joking White Guy is on a distinguished road That Joking White Guy's Avatar

It's not in Japanese or anything, is it?

If not it sounds like something I might enjoy reading.
    Nah, it's a very popular and influential book so it's been widely translated into english and other languages. You can find it for free online(in english) pretty easy but I saw a copy for cheap at Barnes and Noble and I would rather read a book in bed than sit at my computer.
    “As I never tire of saying, heat is not the antithesis of light but rather the source of it.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Numenorean ManOfWesternesse is on a distinguished road ManOfWesternesse's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently on (yet another) re-read of Lord of the Rings.

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

you're always re-reading lord of the rings
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

Numenorean ManOfWesternesse is on a distinguished road ManOfWesternesse's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sai delgado View Post
    you're always re-reading lord of the rings
    No,no, only once a year (and it takes a couple weeks).

The Master sai blaine is on a distinguished road sai blaine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A Feast For Crows - GRRM

My Mood
    Breezy

MOW! glad you could make it, buddy!

JWG, i alos would rather read a book in bed. I'll have to look for it soon. Although I doubt they have it at the local Hastings, I'll probably have to get it next time I go to a bigger city. (No barnes & noble or borders here)

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Currently I'm almost finished with the first Discworld book, Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's ok, and I can't help but to compare him to Piers Anthony and the Xanth novels. It's a fun little read, but it has nothing substantial that I can take away from this novel. Another C, at this point (we'll see...)

Discworld is a great series. The books get funnier as you go along.
    In Digitized Remorse

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fall of Gilead View Post
    Discworld is a great series. The books get funnier as you go along.
    yea FoG, that's what I was expecting (and hoping). Since this book is his first, I had a feeling he got better as a writer. I also have The Light Fantastic, and Thud. So I should get a better feel of him as a writer, after a couple more of his works.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    No,no, only once a year (and it takes a couple weeks).
    I do the same thing.

The last time was an unabridged version on about 30 CD's
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    yea FoG, that's what I was expecting (and hoping). Since this book is his first, I had a feeling he got better as a writer. I also have The Light Fantastic, and Thud. So I should get a better feel of him as a writer, after a couple more of his works.
    Any scene with Death is the funniest. Check out his books with Death as the main character, such as Soul Music, Mort or Hogfather.
    In Digitized Remorse

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read (or heard of) The Golden Compass books? I heard there's a game being released based on the books for the PS3.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm double reading.

I am reading: "If the stars are gods" AND "The drawing of the three"

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

Bone by Jeff Smith
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Unknown Soldier by Various Writers

And contemplating on starting Floating Dragon by Peter Straub
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 713 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast