Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 391 of 714 FirstFirst ... 291 341 381 389 390 391 392 393 401 441 491 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,775 of 17828

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I loved utd... And i feel no obligation to finish a book i'm not enjoying. If within 50 or so pages a book doesn't hold my attention i put it down and move on.
    Same here. Although I rarely even give it 50! A quick glance at my bookshelf and I probably have almost 20 books that are partially read If a book doesn't grab me immediately I usually move on. My only exception is a few King stories like Lisey's Story or Insomnia. I had to finish just because, even though I really didn't want to

And I really enjoyed Under the Dome. And considering it's length I didn't think it dragged at all.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post

For example, right now I really want to read a great love story that isn't corny or depressing and is realistic but maybe has like time travel or aliens or magic in it and also takes place in a place that isn't Earth. Am I going to find this book? Probz not.

Granted I haven't read the books myself yet, but I have a friend who is obsessed with the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and from how she's described it to me, that sounds a lot like the series. Minus the not Earth thing.

From wikipedia:

The novel is not easily classified by a single genre. On one level, the work is a romance novel with a focus on the romantic relationship between the two main characters. The book could be described as a work of historical fiction with a detailed account of 18th century Scottish clan life. The novel could also be considered science fiction with a plot propelled by time travel as Claire journeys from 1945 to the 18th century.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I read the Outlander series recently. An easy way to describe it while yet not doing it justice is calling it The Matrix, but better.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    When you have your most interesting character sitting in a cell for 500 pages and make it so that the most noteworthy thing he does is drink out of a toilet bowl, you know you got a problem.
    Can you elaborate? what is a character expected to do? what exactly is wrong with sitting in a cell for 500 pages? what kind of problem do you mean?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

King used to be able to write a classic and have it end in 500 or less pages. He'd breathe life into his characters, put them through hell and break your heart and it wouldn't take you a lifetime to finish that book.

I don't need any further physical proof than my bookcase. The first shelf is early works, up to Misery. The next one starts with Tommyknockers. That shelf has less books because they're thicker and is made up of King's less desirable works. We can all find redeeming qualities in all of them but for the most part, they're bloated and not as consistently mind-blowingly amazing.

Jean, are you really going to tell me King hasn't been overwritting lately? Seriously, I'd rather re-read The Shining than take a chance on Dreamcatcher.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, I'm reading Phases of Gravity by Simmons and The Flood by Ian Rankin. I don't usually read two books at the same time but Simmons is a limited edition and I'm not taking it to work. I'm liking it so far but I'm 60 pages in and don't really know which way the book will go.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Jean, are you really going to tell me King hasn't been overwritting lately?
    I totally agree. The only book I have liked in last (don't really know how many) years is UTD, and the only one I loved was Duma Key. No, my question was different: I just don't understand the kind of complaint feverish has voiced. I do not see how the main character's doing or not doing this or that, being active or passive, winning or losing, talkative or silent, says anything about the quality of a book.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    When you have your most interesting character sitting in a cell for 500 pages and make it so that the most noteworthy thing he does is drink out of a toilet bowl, you know you got a problem.
    Can you elaborate? what is a character expected to do? what exactly is wrong with sitting in a cell for 500 pages? what kind of problem do you mean?
    There's nothing wrong with it as a contingency in the story, but when you stick your central character in that situation, the one who - up until that point - was fleshed out the most and had the most layers to his persona, and leave the rest of the (painfully uninteresting) supporting cast to carry the narrative forward, then the story becomes dull. That's my problem with it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmm, I think I need to put UTD and Duma Key on my 'to-read' list for next year. And also improve my reading speed - still haven't finished American Gods yet. (Just 60 pages away from finishing, as well!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Hmm, I think I need to put UTD and Duma Key on my 'to-read' list for next year. And also improve my reading speed - still haven't finished American Gods yet. (Just 60 pages away from finishing, as well!)

Duma Key is one of my favorites by King.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

bears' too!

feverish: now that you put it this way it makes perfect sense. It sure can seem (it didn't to me, but I see very well how it could) a big structural flaw. In fact, it most likely is.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think that's a valid statement, in that Barbie is an important character in Under the Dome, but there are lots of other very interesting characters in there too. I see it more an ensemble cast than many of King's other books, such as The Shining, Misery, etc, which do feature one or two main characters. Think The Stand, another ensemble cast that works very well.

John

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Please don't compare the cast of The Stand to that of Under The Dome. Please.

Country
    Country Flag

I am afraid most misunderstanding between readers and UTD stem from their attempt to compare the two.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

i was just commenting that both novels have an ensemble cast, unlike others of King's works. That's all. Don't read more into my comment than that.

John

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    King used to be able to write a classic and have it end in 500 or less pages. He'd breathe life into his characters, put them through hell and break your heart and it wouldn't take you a lifetime to finish that book.
    Read Full dark, No Stars.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I am waiting for November 8th to get here so I can get my hands on a most anticipated book that I have been waiting for and now it is coming to an end that week. The last book in the Christopher Paolini series. Inheritance comes out that day. Will Eragon take down Galbatorix in this story...am waiting on pins and needles for this one.

on another note will also get the third book in the Abarat series also this month as I just found out it came out in September and didn't even know it.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Listening to something short in anticipation of 11/22/63 out next Tuesday. Frank Muller's reading of the Shawshank Redemption is simply awesome.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Grimm Brothers fairytales

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Bad Moon Rising, third time. Amazing book.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Storyslinger ... IS THAT YOU !?!?!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

In the text! How's it going?

Country
    Country Flag

at last!!!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys will make me blush.

Country
    Country Flag

come to the Castle, tell us everything

+ Reply to Thread
Page 391 of 714 FirstFirst ... 291 341 381 389 390 391 392 393 401 441 491 ... LastLast