Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 714 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 684 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I really want to pick up a Palahniuk novel, but I am >extremely< picky when it comes to picking up novels outside of the horror, fantasy, or science fiction genre.

I would definately urge you to check him out. He's not for everyone, but I think you might enjoy some of his stuff. I'd recommend you start with either Fight Club or Lullaby. I'd advise you to not read Haunted first. That was my first introduction to him, and to be honest I didn't really care for it too much. There were a few good stories in there, but the overall book I just thought was a bit too much. However, I luckily enjoyed his style of writing enough to pick up some of his other books, and now I'm hooked.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

as for palahniuk, start with lullaby. definitely.

as for vonnegut. :: bleh ::
    i gladly sent cat's cradle to a certain russian bear. and would gladly send every vonnegut book in existence to that same bear if i could.

i SHOULD be reading just after sunset RIGHT HERE AND FUCKING NOW but am i? no. and why not? because even though i paid for the more expensive shipping option, amazon.com has decided to use the slowboat to t/song route to get my book to me.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Those bastards.

thanks for the support paula. if it's not here tomorrow i'm going to have to hire razz to do something nefarious to them. . . .

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Reading The Day Of The Triffids which I highly recommend. It was written in 1951, but doesn't come across as dated. In many ways it reminds me of The Stand, very post apocalyptic and groups of people struggling to survive and rebuild with very differing viewpoints.
    Excellent book!

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    just finished Infinite Jest. took me over a month.
    What did you think of it?
    i liked it. it 's really a monster though. books, even of that size, take me about a week to read. 47 odd days is huge for me. but i liked it, overall
    Yeah, it may have been all those endnotes that slowed you down. I remember this one took me awhile the first time I read it too.

All the books I've been reading are on hold. This happens when a new SK book comes out everytime. I got it this morning and am a little more than a third of the way through with it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    I am working on the Complete and Unabridged works of H.P. Lovecraft now... haven't gotten to anything Cthulhu related yet though... well some foreshadowers, but nothing directs.... and this Lovecraft dude was a nut excellent writing though

Here is the Cthulu Mythos in their published order (including other author's/friends in Lovecraft's life who contributed to it).

http://www.epberglund.com/RGttCM/chrono01.htm

They can be read in any order though. I read them out of sequence and sometimes just a story or two all the time.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahhhhh!! Goblet of Fire just got here! Can't wait for break time!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Just started Rose Madder.

Oh.

My.

God.

i know!

you should listen to it. sai king can really do norman. i mean REALLY!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finishing the last little bit of Just After Sunset.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i know!

you should listen to it. sai king can really do norman. i mean REALLY!
    I'd be scared to hear that....

But I'm enjoying this book--I'm barely into it and he's hooked me already, and tugging on the line! I might well finish this sooner than I expected to!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

just finished a book called body bags...daughter gave it to me from a friends mother...was a good suspense book...never thought working as a pathologist could be so much of a thriller.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Rereading Just After Sunset.

John

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

The Disapparation of James - Anne Ursu
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    I'm on a reread
    (really a re-listen)
    of Wizard and Glass.
    And this time I am not cheating and skipping over the whole Mejis story.
    I'm enjoying Mejis more than I thought I would.
    I've been listening to the series too and I'm also on WaG. The audio makes it better for me than the book, but I'm still all, "Get back to the CURRENT story!"
    That's what I thought for the first half of WaG, but then I somehow got lost in the tale and ended up absolutely loving the entire book.

Currently reading The Stand, but it's a bit daunting to say the least. 1300+ pages and so far it's not even very good. (I'm still pretty early in the book, it keeps making me sleepy)
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not uncommon for people reading The Stand to start developing flu-like symptoms. But sleepy? I've never heard of that!

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Rereading Just After Sunset.

John
    did you JUST get that book? like, yesterday?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but I got the proof a while ago and read that. Now I'm rereading the book!

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading JAS, too - got my copy just before I left for HI!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

JAS also

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

reading JAS

listening to needful things (goddamn stephen king can read a fucking book!)

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    reading JAS

listening to needful things (goddamn stephen king can read a fucking book!)
    incidentally, i watched needful things yesterday onsci-fi, i think, and am reading JAS

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Outlaw school a sci-fi story but so far it's sad

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Finally got around to ordering a copy of JAS. Hopefully it'll come in soon, I'm dying to read it, and I can't bare to touch my signed copy.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Thank God, I finished Lullaby. Don't remember struggling with the last 50 or so pages of a book that hard since The Eyes of the Dragon. Reading Cell, and now it reads great!
    You didn't like Eyes of the Dragon?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 714 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 684 ... LastLast