Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 714 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 652 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly. It's the fact that on the surface, it looks like a really good children's story, and then once you start reading, all the religious references take you right out of the story. They did me, anyway. It kind of bummed me out, because I was looking forward to reading those books and enjoying them. Oh well.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

but it didn't disturb you in, say, Desperation, right? I mean, if any "idea" seems organically fitting into the book, one wouldn't give a fuck whether it fits their own views - I mean, if one is a real confirmed reader. Many of the books I love are blatantly anti-Christian, atheistic, which was to be expected since they were written by Soviet atheist authors... and they are great anyway.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, it didn't bother me in Desperation at all. It felt like a part of the story, not a sermon.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

exactly what I mean!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Great minds think alike!

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So Dag, have you read the Golden Compass books?

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, not yet. Are they similar to the Narnia books?

Country
    Country Flag

actually they're supposed to be like them but the anti-thesis i guess. the author calls himself an evangelical atheist. i haven't read the books but i was wondering about it because i did see the movie and it didn't really seem all anti-religion as everyone was making it out to be... but then again i'm like Brice and i just watch/read things for the story.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't see the Narnia movie, but I heard that it wasn't religious, either. So I'm guessing they left that out to make it suitable for the masses. I'd imagine The Golden Compass would be the same.

I'm just not big on any message being shoved down my throat. If you can effectively write it into the story, go for it. Otherwise STFU already.

Country
    Country Flag

i haven't read Narnia either... i was too advanced for it when we read it in elementary school and i just never went back to it... when someone was talking about how it was this huge Jesus story i was just like "wha??"

anyways i'm still reading Neverwhere.... it has never taken me this long to get thru a book. i love how he writes in this one tho... in American Gods it was like a British person trying to do American and this one reminds me of Douglas Adams language which is the only other modern British writer I think I've read.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still slogging through Dreamcatcher. I'm liking it better than the first time around, but it's still slow going.

Country
    Country Flag

i'm not sure if i ever finished Dreamcatcher.....

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll let you know how it goes.

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it presents an attitude towards life which I find loathsome, and expresses the essense of a whole school of thought I dislike intensely. Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.
    As I can guess you don't like the existentialism school, don't you? I like that school, but only when the book is reaally good and it's not boring. When the book has something more to show.
    In fact, I haven't finished The Stranger yet. I'm on the half since three months ago.
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

About to start reading Joyride by Ketchum.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I love Rage. I read it at least every couple years, if not more often.

Today I started Camus' The Stranger.

Today I finished Camus' The Stranger.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PedroPáramo View Post
    As I can guess you don't like the existentialism school, don't you? I like that school, but only when the book is reaally good and it's not boring. When the book has something more to show.
    that's exactly what we've been talking about with Daghain. And you are so right - I don't like existentialism... and I found the book boring (thank God it's so short)

In fact, I haven't finished The Stranger yet. I'm on the half since three months ago.
    No wonder...

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroPáramo View Post
    that's exactly what we've been talking about with Daghain. And you are so right - I don't like existentialism... and I found the book boring (thank God it's so short)

No wonder...

I remebered it 'cause you told me you don't like Murakami.
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Re reading Fahrenheit 451.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just about to start "Joyride" by Jack Ketchum. Anybody read it?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I read all of Ketchum's books I could find last year.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post

i haven't read Narnia either... i was too advanced for it when we read it in elementary school and i just never went back to it... when someone was talking about how it was this huge Jesus story i was just like "wha??"

I'm almost halfway through Narnia now. I haven't seen anything that seems to signify Jesus (yet?).
    I didn't hear anything about religion being involved in the story before I started it, but when I was reading the very first chapter and it was telling the story about the beginning/creation of Narnia, I could definitely feel biblical undertones in it. But, I don't know if it was intentional or if it was just me analyzing too much.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post

I'm almost halfway through Narnia now. I haven't seen anything that seems to signify Jesus (yet?).
    I didn't hear anything about religion being involved in the story before I started it, but when I was reading the very first chapter and it was telling the story about the beginning/creation of Narnia, I could definitely feel biblical undertones in it. But, I don't know if it was intentional or if it was just me analyzing too much.
    C. S. Lewis was a Christian author and there are religious undertones throughout the series. Personally (although I am not religious) it doesn't bother me. I just view it as a nice little story.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

The Scarlet Letter

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    The Scarlet Letter
    I'm sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 714 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 652 ... LastLast