Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 714 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 651 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    I think I have read it 3 times already
    so have I

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by citiesburnred View Post
    I'm just started reading Starship Troopers
    This is one of my favorite Heinlein books. Just be prepared for all the "propaganda" that he loves to salt in his work. The story itself is great!

John

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

nothing. i am reading nothing. it's hard to read when you are depressed.

but i am listening to "neverwhere" read by neil gaiman. ::sigh::

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the book, maerlyn

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Blaze is good Alex.

I'm reading Roadwork for the first time. Quite a powerful story.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Let's just say... Rorschach is my new desktop wallpaper.

It was a little odd getting into the swing of things since I've never read a comic before :gasp: but after the first chapter I found myself really enjoying it. I'll definitely be looking into some other graphic novels now.
    Excelleeeeeent..... [/Mr. Burns]

Your next destination? The Sandman by Neil Gaiman!

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I just read that Rage is out of print, has anyone else read it lately?
    I didn't know that when I bought it!
    SK requested a stop due to the high school shootings. There are many copies of The Bachman Books still out there and they include the entire story. If you manage to snag an original first edition paperback of Rage, it's worth a few dollars.

Good story. Classic writing style.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Rage is awesome, IMHO.

And, I really enjoyed Blaze as well.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I need to reread Cell. I was less than impressed the first time.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, read The Stand! It's far more superior, IMHO.

And yeah, I can see where that is coming from.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Curse you double post!

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

-David Copperfield,
    Charles Dickens.
    -In cold blood,
    Truman Capote
    -Kafka on the shore,
    Haruki Murakami
    (I <3 Kafka on the shore jeje)
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Your next destination? The Sandman by Neil Gaiman!
    Actually...... On my last Barnes & Noble trip (yesterday) I picked up the first volume and read the first two chapters. I've heard way too many good things about this one NOT to read it. (Yeah, I lurk in the Comic Tower sometimes...)
    I'm not supposed to be spending money right now though. My problem is I would much rather buy a book than borrow it or just read it in the store.
    What if I have to reference it later? How can I do that if I don't have it with me?!?!?

(So if anybody has an extra copy lying around somewhere, I'm not too proud to beg: Please?)

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I guess I need to reread Cell. I was less than impressed the first time.
    No, you don't.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Rage. I read it at least every couple years, if not more often.

Today I started Camus' The Stranger.

Today I finished Camus' The Stranger.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

how was it? one of the books I thoroughly loathe (Rage being another, though)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What? The Stranger? I actually liked it quite alot. I tore through it in a couple hours. I haven't done that with a book in awhile now.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

::nods gloomily::

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it really make a bear gloomy when someone likes a book he doesn't?

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

no, when someone the bear likes is happy the bear is always happy too, whatever the reason

but the bear is always gloomy when he thinks of certain books

::broods::

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

May I ask why (if there is a specific why) you loathe it so much?

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

it presents an attitude towards life which I find loathsome, and expresses the essense of a whole school of thought I dislike intensely. Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am generally only interested in the story even in those types of books. I can manage my own morality without them.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.
    You have actually hit on the reason I hated the Narnia books - I felt like I was getting religion shoved down my throat every 10 seconds. GRRR.

Country
    Country Flag

yes. I haven't read them, but I see the point - when an author is trying to write something "philosophical", or "religious", or "socially responsible", or "with deep moral impact", it's usually disgusting. The skeleton - the "ideas" - stick out like so many sore thumbs, and it is almost always at the expense of the story (characters and language including). There are, of course, cases where the fabrics of story is itself made of philosophy or religion or social concern, as it is the case with J.L.Borges or G.K.Chesterton or J.Swift or some other chosen few, but it is 1) rare; 2) quite another kettle of fish; 3) in all listed cases the story and the writing is superb anyway, and it is all that is really needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 714 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 201 251 651 ... LastLast