Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 714 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 640 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk and am rerading Dolores Claiborne.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    you know, i'm rereading IT right now. but you people keep talking about rage and the long walk so now i have to go dig out my bachman books. :sigh:

These are my two personal favourite apart from the Tower, so go ahead, they're brilliant!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Me also, it was a great book

I'm reading a sci-fi book called The Eyre Affair, set in an alternate universe where time travel and allsorts are possible. However, people have managed not only to travel in time, but within time in books and this pyschotic villain and his gang have kidnapped Jane Eyre and are causing all sorts of havoc - its excellent!
    OMG, that sounds absolutely brilliant!

You would love it! I've honestly been thinking of you while I've been reading it, because another main theme of the story is corrupt government and misuse of time travel to their own ends - for example, they have engineered it so that the Crimean war is still ongoing and allsorts of other madness.

Its a series of...5 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    still reading American Gods.... i can't remember the last time i took this long to read a book... but i've been distracted by Final Fantasy 9..

anyways i'm at the part where
    Spoiler:
    Shadow is staying in Lakeside.. and he and Wednesday already went to Las Vegas to meet the god that i CANT FIGURE OUT WHO HE IS!!!! Who is that guy????

I wish I could help you Beams , but it's been so long since I've read that book. I do remember what part you're talking about, though. Maybe Lisa could you, she's read it also.
    I have, but I sort of can't help as Neil Gaiman has refused, thanks to some other author sticking his oar in, to let on who the unknown god is.

Basically, Neil was going to reveal it and then some other author posted a message on his board saying - its such a cool mystery, please don't tell us who he is, is far more fun guessing!
    And Neil was like - ok, no problem!

However, theres this cool fan site where a guy has listed all the gods/goddesses and also has collated info on who the forgotten god could be. Neil Gaiman even links to this guys page on his site - so he must be close

http://www.frowl.org/gods/forgotten.html

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I finished The Stand five minutes ago,
    Yay! You made it!

I'm going to start Duma Key sometime today.
    I'm so, so sorry...
    i'm sorry too.

but i'm glad you finished the stand. are you feeling okay? we all seem to get sick when we read that book.
    YAY! The Stand is fantastic. It's my favorite King.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    About 10 pages into The Long Walk.
    Oooh, that's my favorite in the book. Let me know how you like it.
    Will do. Its so highly recommended by people that I admire. I'm sure it won't disappoint.
    The Long Walk is awesome. I really felt it when I was reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Phantoms by Dean Koontz
    Assorted works by de Sade
    Some LOST magazines
    Kootz's Phantoms is one of my real favorites, at least for the first half or so of the book. The sense of dread is almost overpowering!

John
    I know what you mean. The resolution is not so much, but the set up is fantastic. I enjoy Koontz even if I think he is not the greatest writer. His characters seem less real and more 2D than King's. For me, reading Koontz is like having a bag of chips and a coke as opposed to a real meal.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Poisonbat

I am currently reading Everything's Eventual. I cheated, I started with The Little Sisters of Eluria. I finished On Writing just a few days ago. That book made me tear up when he talks about his accident.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Just finished Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk and am rerading Dolores Claiborne.

Oh great book, imo.

I was supposed to start Duma Key like three days ago but I just can't seem to start it. I have it borrowed from the library on audio and I think I just need to get the book. I don't have time right now for audio. Grrr.

So, I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.

Fever, let me know when you start PoA and I'll get right on that with you.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Because he's cool! Don't you have a crush on him? I totally did

Read Fragile Things after you finish American Gods...
    How could you not crush on Shadow?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have, but I sort of can't help as Neil Gaiman has refused, thanks to some other author sticking his oar in, to let on who the unknown god is.

Basically, Neil was going to reveal it and then some other author posted a message on his board saying - its such a cool mystery, please don't tell us who he is, is far more fun guessing!
    And Neil was like - ok, no problem!

However, theres this cool fan site where a guy has listed all the gods/goddesses and also has collated info on who the forgotten god could be. Neil Gaiman even links to this guys page on his site - so he must be close

http://www.frowl.org/gods/forgotten.html

Why????? i want to know who he is!! there's no way to really guess it accurately!
    :fuminglion:

thanks for the link tho Lisa

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You guys are making me really want to start American Gods. Matt lent it to me but I was saving it for my job next week where I sit around and do nothing and get really bored. Maybe I'll just start it anyway and bring a second book so I don't run out of things to do. I read way too fast for my own good.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it's good.... but is Neil Gaiman American? he doesn't seem like it... the voice of the book is just kinda different to me... but it's great. i'd be done if it wasn't for Final Fantasy 9

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    How could you not crush on Shadow?
    One of the many reasons that you are uber cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    You guys are making me really want to start American Gods. Matt lent it to me but I was saving it for my job next week where I sit around and do nothing and get really bored. Maybe I'll just start it anyway and bring a second book so I don't run out of things to do. I read way too fast for my own good.
    Do it, do it, do it! then for a second book get either Anansi Boys or Fragile Things - both by Gaiman and both containing treats for American Gods fans

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    it's good.... but is Neil Gaiman American? he doesn't seem like it... the voice of the book is just kinda different to me... but it's great. i'd be done if it wasn't for Final Fantasy 9
    No, he's English - but lives in America.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think foreigners have a much better understanding of America than Americans do a lot of the time. One of those "clear eyes see far" issues, to quote Roland.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I love flying. I'm 2/3 of the way through Dolores Claiborne already. Next on deck will be Hotel New Hampshire, by John Irving.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Traveler GraneeWetherwaxx is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Reading 2, listening to 1

I am currently reading the expanded version of The Stand. I read the "original" release about 10 years ago, and of course loved it. I went down to my basement a couple of months ago to re-read some of my SK's and found that the box with my hard backs had gotten damp, and they were all moldy. Including my hard back extended Stand. It was like a dagger in my heart.

I was in my favorite used book store last month and they had a bunch of hard backs on sale for $2 each, so I was able to replace a few of my ruined books, including The Stand. It was Ka, friends....

I am also re-reading The Golden Compass. I had loaned out my only copy, and found a really lovely edition, also at my used book store, so I bought it. I hate people who borrow books and don't return them. Philip Pullman creates a universe that is utterly real and a total masterpiece. I don't think many authors achieve the level of Tolkein, but Pullman does with the His Dark Materials Trilogy. It is multi-layered, so don't be fooled if all you saw was the movie. The book asks some intriguing questions that will leave you thinking long after the last page is read. I know the right wing christians have put up a stink about these books, but Pullman just asks What If...? I think that a belief that can't stand up to a question isn't much of a belief.

The audio production of His Dark Materials Trilogy are among the best I've listened to. The books are performed by an entire cast, and the audio books are far more enjoyable than the movie was, even if the movie was cast very well.

Finally, I am listening to The Amulet of Samarkand, the first book of the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. The book is read by Simon Jones who takes a sort of devilish relish in performing the part of the Djini, Bartimaeus. He definitely accomplishes the author's goal of bringing the story to life. While this is advertised as a children's story, it is one of the good ones that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. With the level of magic, violence and fright, I would not let a child younger than 12 read it, personally.

I have a 3 hour commute and my audio books are an absolute MUST to get me through. It's also nice to be able to enjoy a book during those times when you cannot read. I stopped reading books while I walked shortly after our favorite author had his accident. But I never leave home without 2 mp3 players (one as back up). There are some amazing productions out there, although it's getting to harder to find ones that I haven't listened to already. The author alone is capable of transporting his reader to another world, like SK with the DT. Then you get someone who is completely in tune with the book, and is an amazing performer, and you really are IN THE STORY. Sometimes it's a shock to "come back" to the real world. Once I got a taste for these books and performances, the great ones like Harry Potter read by Jim Dale, Cell read by Campbell Scott, The Dark Tower read by Frank Muller, it's hard to sort of downshift into a mediocre story told by a mediocre talent.

Anyway, those are my books for now. I plan to move on to some Michael Connelly and Terry Pratcett soon, and I might try to get into Neil Gaiman again. For some reason he and I haven't clicked yet. It's going to be time to re-read LOTR again soon, too.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Right now I am reading The Green Mile by Stephen King and I am loving it. I think that it may be SK's best novel, but that is just my oppinion.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

have i mentioned how much i love this thread? it gives me so much to add to my "to read list" and reminds me of so many i read and loved (and hated).

neil gaiman is truly a wonder of literature. jeff lindsay rocks. jasper fforde is f'n hilarious. i could go on and on. and usually do, but this time i will spare you.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I finally got myself to finish The Hobbit tonight.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

I'm reading IT, and it's absolutely incredible!
    Just finished the grownups section, and I'm about to re-visit 1958.
    I'm starting to think it's going to be my favorite Sai King book...

SJ - i'm rereading that right here and now. mike is making his phone calls as we speak.

amanda - do you know that i have never read anything by tolkien (and i don't even know if i'm spelling his name correctly). i have the entire lotr trilogy and never read it. and i have a dramatization of the hobbit on cd that i've never listened to (that's him, right?). am i damned forever?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The Hobbit is the only part of the series that I have read. I'm interested in reading the rest, but I have to 'forget' the movies first.
    I wouldn't say that you're damned. Every book has it's time, and maybe eventually you'll pick them up and fall in love.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    i was gonna get the Green Mile, but they didn't have number 3
    Its available as a complete hard cover at B&N Got a 1st ed myself

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    The Hobbit is the only part of the series that I have read. I'm interested in reading the rest, but I have to 'forget' the movies first.
    I wouldn't say that you're damned. Every book has it's time, and maybe eventually you'll pick them up and fall in love.

so, do you have the lotr books, or do you want mine? (completely serious here).

...No, I won't take your LOTR books. But, thanks for the offer.
    My sis actually has the whole series. I figure I'll borrow hers when I finally get to reading them one day.

damn, so i'm still on the hook then.

sure you don't want them? no? oh well. :wanders off to build a fire:

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Save the Males, Kathleen Parker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 714 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 640 ... LastLast