Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 714 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 229 629 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, an example would be the Harry Potter films - which on the whole I thought were crap.
    I loved Cuaron's directing in POA, but that was it. Rubbish casting, rubbish acting...and now every time I read HP I see bloody Dan Radcliffe!
    Thats how it affects the novel

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So, if a DT movie does come out, and it's uber crap, it's going to make you change your opinion on the series as a whole?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Well, an example would be the Harry Potter films - which on the whole I thought were crap.
    I loved Cuaron's directing in POA, but that was it. Rubbish casting, rubbish acting...and now every time I read HP I see bloody Dan Radcliffe!
    Thats how it affects the novel
    I think everybody by now knows how I feel about the LotR movies. Just wait until there are DT movies and he forum is full of people who think they know everything about DT bc they saw a movie but never read the books and then you will know what I mean. I dealt with it with LotR plenty.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    So, if a DT movie does come out, and it's uber crap, it's going to make you change your opinion on the series as a whole?
    It won't make me dislike the books - I still love the HP books, I just have to concentrate hard to remember how I saw Harry et al before I'd seen the films. But I very possibly won't watch the DT movie in the first place, because it would drive me mad if it was incorrect and deviated from the books in any way (which of course it will ).

Jayson - I felt the same with LotR

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

. But I very possibly won't watch the DT movie in the first place, because it would drive me mad if it was incorrect and deviated from the books in any way (which of course it will ).

Jayson - I felt the same with LotR
    I would seriously consider not seeing the movie(s) as well after my experience with LotR

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a big movie goer anymore, so its unlikely I'd get to see it. I don't drive and the nearest cinema is miles away. Plus, if Rob and I ever get a babysitter we'd rather go out for a meal/drink...y'know, somewhere we can talk to each other outside of parent mode

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It won't make me dislike the books - I still love the HP books
    You still love them? Shouldn't you hate them? After all, the horrible movies completely ruined the books, didn't they?

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If film makers didn't get their ideas from books then we wouldn't have any movies.. are you actually suggesting that filmmakers should come up with their own, original ideas?? *gasp*

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Diary and loved it. Sad book, though.

Reading Survivor now.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

People for whom the movie adaptations ruin the original BOOKS are like fundamentalists for whom scientific notions threaten their worldview even though the former appears to be more accurate--in other words, they didn't have much faith to begin with.

Just my two cents.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

But I'm not saying the book is ruined - but it can mar it visually (ie, my HP example).
    If I love a book I have total faith in it - its the film makers I don't have faith in...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i don't really mind having a visual of a character for me well that's if i see the movie first and then read the book. but when i read it and have my own visual i just usually go 'hmm... that's not what i thought he looked like.' or 'hmm.. they did a pretty good casting job, thats JUST how i thought he looked.'

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    People for whom the movie adaptations ruin the original BOOKS are like fundamentalists for whom scientific notions threaten their worldview even though the former appears to be more accurate--in other words, they didn't have much faith to begin with.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

But I'm not saying the book is ruined - but it can mar it visually (ie, my HP example).
    If I love a book I have total faith in it - its the film makers I don't have faith in...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Wasn't accusing you of such--just speaking in general, based on the conversation being held....

Anyway, USUALLY the movie version is worse, and even if it isn't (even if it's BETTER, which is exceedingly rare), it is still limiting. But I think part of the reason it's usually worse is that movies are usually thought of as a business and a whole bunch of people work on it--rather than being thought of as an art form, the vision of one person, as a novel is.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

Reading Survivor now.
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i read Mt

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Reading Survivor now.
    i can't remember tiffany - did you say you had or hadn't read lullaby?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    i read Mt

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post

Reading Survivor now.

i read Mt
    id don't feel leik explaining it to others, i was just informing on what i was reading. But i already told you about Mt ,Turtle.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm listening to the Bob Spitz biography on the Beatles. Its my first audio book. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Reading Survivor now.

i read Mt
    id don't feel leik explaining it to others, i was just informing on what i was reading. But i already told you about Mt ,Turtle.
    Even if you tried to explain it, I'm not sure anyone would be able to understand the words coming out of your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post

Reading Survivor now.

i read Mt
    Even if you tried to explain it, I'm not sure anyone would be able to understand the words coming out of your computer.
    good. saves me trouble

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading Survivor now.
    Yup, I read it and liked it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Yeah, thanks for the encouragement on reading it. Totally worth it.

I think after this Palahniuk binge, I'm definitely taking a break. Five of his books within a week and a half or so is a bit too much pessimism. I love the writing and the stories are great, too, but they're such bummers. It's really bringin' me down.
    I need a little hope and optimism.
    Last edited by Tiffany; 06-26-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: My brain broke.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

I think after this Palahniuk binge, I'm definitely taking a break. Five of his books within a week and a half or so is a bit too much pessimism. I love the writing and the stories are great, too, but they're such bummers. It's really bringin' me down.
    I need a little hope and optimism.
    so that means what? you're moving on to another king novel?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Atlas Shrugged
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

one of my favorite Ayn Rand books. The Fountainhead though, that's the best.

Currently Reading:

Tamora Pierce's Tortall books (10th reread)
    Raptor, Gary Jennings
    Clan of the Cave Bear
    Men of Honor
    Dances with Wolves
    Streets of Laredo
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 714 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 229 629 ... LastLast