Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 714 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 600 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It really is a great book, I can't wait to read it again!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

glad. Once he hooks up with beezer and his crew, it gets good and it moves along fast.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Just started Insomnia...

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

you'll love that! I did.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

If you love them I will too?
    I'll be sure to check with you before starting books from now on.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Oh wow....

I just finished Chapter 21 of Black House, and I have to say....

I have NEVER so thoroughly changed my mind about a book (certainly a Stephen King book) in my recollection. It used to be a chore just to get a single chapter read, but now I don't want to put it down!

I still think it's a shame that the first half of the book was so boring, but at least it's going somewhere now....

Great to see!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Unfound, just be prepared for a very slow, long start....
    I'll let you decide whether it is "good" or not.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Just started Insomnia...

Another awesome book.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Unfound both Black House and Insomnia are the most closely connected to the Dark Tower Saga of all of King's books, also Low Men in Yellow Coats too. They really bring some insights into the series and are just great as stand-alone books. Like Monte said Insomnia does start slow, so be prepared for that.

Yeah that's what I've been told. I'm excited to see how.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    If you love them I will too?
    I'll be sure to check with you before starting books from now on.
    damn skippy. since you are (almost) as cool as me, it's only natural we love the same books.

I'll keep that in mind.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I still think it's a shame that the first half of the book was so boring, but at least it's going somewhere now....
    i blame it on straub. the later it gets in the book, the more it feels like king.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i blame it on straub. the later it gets in the book, the more it feels like king.
    It's funny....I never even thought of that.
    Hmph. I like this line of thinking....it was his fault.

Now...who can I blame the boring 3/4 of Insomnia on?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It's funny....I never even thought of that.
    Hmph. I like this line of thinking....it was his fault.

Now...who can I blame the boring 3/4 of Insomnia on?

i still love insomnia, but it does start off pretty slowly.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I just started The Hobbit a little while ago.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I don't know what anyone's talking about, with Insomnia--I got into it FAST!

Black House took over half the book to pick up, that I saw, but Insomnia--I went into that expecting NOT to like it (at least at first) and being wrong.

Must be just that subjective, I guess, then, huh?

EDIT: As for Peter Straub, I haven't read anything of his that wasn't co-written with Stephen King, so I hate to prejudge him as an author--unfortunately, though, the low points in the Stephen King books I've been reading so far have mostly been in The Talisman and Black House, so it's hard not to....

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter Straub is a great author. Not to everyone's taste, sure, but you might well enjoy some of his work. You're right to avoid developing a bias, if you can, before giving some a try.

Of course, I may just have a different view of things than you do: I was into Black House from the very start.
    Spoiler:
    (I'm mad about linguistics & I'd already read about Albert Fish.)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Black House took me a little longer than The Talisman to get into the first time I read it. I'm not reallt sure why.

I agree Path, Straub is great.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I hated both Insomnia and Black House on my first read. Black House was especially disappointing, since I LOVED The Talisman so much.

I am going to reread both this year. We'll see if I change my opinion.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Angelic

Yeah, I don't want to boycott an author just because what little I know of him doesn't impress me much. I won't buy out my local bookstore's whole selection of him and force myself to read each one, but if I see something of his that looks like it might be my thing, I can try it out, see what I think. As I said before, it's subjective--what some love, others don't, and vice versa.

I've been wanting to reread The Dark Tower series at some point (probably next year at the soonest), but now I'm thinking of possibly also rereading Insomnia, "Low Men in Yellow Coats," and Black House at the same time, just to see if my opinion of them changes with time (and to refresh my memory of everything, as well as pick up on things I might be missing this first time, since I don't know everything about it yet).

Just something to think about, especially since I don't reread whole novels as a rule (though I'm thinking of rereading The Shining at some point).

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Straub's Lost Boy Lost Girl not too long ago, and let's just say I was less than impressed.

Not a bad story, but totally predictable, IMHO. Trust me, if I can figure it out, the plot's too easy.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Angelic

Yeah, as I said, I haven't read anything of his that he didn't co-write with Stephen King, but I did read about some motifs that he keeps bringing back, which sound an awful lot like Black House to me....

They may be all right as stories, but I don't want to keep reading the same story over and over with different names....

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you're gonna' read Straub at some point his earlier stuff is best IMO. Try, Ghost Story, Floating Dragon, Julia, Shadowlands, or If You Could See Me Now. Or if you prefer short stories Houses Without Doors is good.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I've heard Ghost Story was good. I'm not sold yet, however. He seems very John Saul-ish to me - too easy to figure out.

But, for mindless entertainment, I'd go there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 714 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 600 ... LastLast