Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 660 of 714 FirstFirst ... 160 560 610 650 658 659 660 661 662 670 710 ... LastLast
Results 16,476 to 16,500 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I started reading The Strain the other day and am really enjoying it so far.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been slowly wading into "The Expanse" series by James S. A. Corey, and have almost finished Caliban's War. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, happy to discover a series that's already so established - I don't have to wait years for the next installment!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Just started reading Dark Matter by Michelle Paver the other day. It's so good, I can't put it down. Of course I'm a sucker for scary books that take place in the Arctic.
    Ooh, I Just looked this up and it sounds interesting. Let me know if it ends up being a good one.

Also, did you finish The Dead Zone? And did you like it?
    Not yet, but I should finish it this week. I think I've only got about 5 hrs left. I'll let you know when I finish it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Fire & Blood is pretty awesome!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Just started reading Dark Matter by Michelle Paver the other day. It's so good, I can't put it down. Of course I'm a sucker for scary books that take place in the Arctic.
    Ooh, I Just looked this up and it sounds interesting. Let me know if it ends up being a good one.

Not yet, but I should finish it this week. I think I've only got about 5 hrs left. I'll let you know when I finish it.
    Nice!
    I'm living vicariously through you with the whole Dead Zone reading.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Nice!
    I'm enjoying it way more that I ever thought I would. For some reason it's always been near the bottom of my King to-read pile. I'm glad I finally got to it.

I'm enjoying it way more that I ever thought I would. For some reason it's always been near the bottom of my King to-read pile. I'm glad I finally got to it.
    Heck yeah! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's one I need to do another re-read of one day soon.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so are bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I need a new book. I want a REAL page turner. ANYONE have one book that they could not put the hell down???
    Anything by Michael Crichton.

So I read Dark Matter by Michelle Paver yesterday while I was stuck home in the snow. It was the perfect book for the day, I really enjoyed it. I do wish it had been scarier, but then again it's pretty rare for me to find a book that will actually scare me. Has anyone read anything by her? I'm planning on starting Thin Air tonight.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Anything by Michael Crichton.
    this!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So I read Dark Matter by Michelle Paver yesterday while I was stuck home in the snow. It was the perfect book for the day, I really enjoyed it. I do wish it had been scarier, but then again it's pretty rare for me to find a book that will actually scare me. Has anyone read anything by her? I'm planning on starting Thin Air tonight.
    Any relation to the Television Series?

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Just looked it up because I never heard of a tv series, but no. This story is about a team of researchers in the 1930s who head to the Arctic for a year, however the area where they decide to stay is haunted.

Country
    Country Flag

Just looked it up because I never heard of a tv series, but no. This story is about a team of researchers in the 1930s who head to the Arctic for a year, however the area where they decide to stay is haunted.
    Sounds like an interesting concept... if you liked that, conceptually it sounds a bit similar to "The Deep" by Nick Cutter, which I would recommend.

If you've never read any of his horror, he comes recommended and well reviewed by King himself, but his horror...it doesn't stop, it just smothers you and doesn't let up. Very different than what I was used to, but interesting in it's own right.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love the Snowman! I’m killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Sounds like an interesting concept... if you liked that, conceptually it sounds a bit similar to "The Deep" by Nick Cutter, which I would recommend.

If you've never read any of his horror, he comes recommended and well reviewed by King himself, but his horror...it doesn't stop, it just smothers you and doesn't let up. Very different than what I was used to, but interesting in it's own right.
    I'll check it out. I've had his books on my to-read list for awhile now, but haven't gotten to them yet. Maybe I'll bump that one up.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Caitlin R. Kiernan - Black Helicopters. This is the expanded version.

Amanda and Jean, I finished The Dead Zone! I loved it. I'm really glad they picked it for bookclub this month otherwise it would probably still be sitting there waiting for me to read it. I have seen the movie, but it's been so many years that I can't really remember much from it, and quite possibly this isn't even in the movie, but

end spoiler

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My answer would be because the message of The Dead Zone seems to boil down to

Spoiler:
    life isn't fair

and that's the most consistent conclusion with that, just as how, in Cujo,

Spoiler:
    Tad had to die in order to maintain the "things fall apart no matter what you do" message I see in it - happy endings would've worked against both books.

Of course I don't know King's thoughts on those specific details; that's just how I see it.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    My answer would be because the message of The Dead Zone seems to boil down to

Spoiler:
    life isn't fair

and that's the most consistent conclusion with that, just as how, in Cujo,

Spoiler:
    Tad had to die in order to maintain the "things fall apart no matter what you do" message I see in it - happy endings would've worked against both books.

Of course I don't know King's thoughts on those specific details; that's just how I see it.
    Completely agree about the conclusion of both books.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Here's the thing with Cujo:

Spoiler:
    When I first read the book, I didn't care that Tad died.

When I saw the movie, I was pissed that Tad lived; I thought they had weakened the story for "Hollywood" purposes.

(Many years pass)

I re-read Cujo a few years ago; Tad's death (despite my knowledge of it) hit me hard (the fact that I was now a parent might've played a role in my changed perspective). I knew it made sense for the reason mentioned above, but it seemed like one disaster too many. I think I felt like, can't we stop just short of a child's death? Everything else went wrong - can't Tad just make it out alive?
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Here's the thing with Cujo:

Spoiler:
    When I first read the book, I didn't care that Tad died.

When I saw the movie, I was pissed that Tad lived; I thought they had weakened the story for "Hollywood" purposes.

(Many years pass)

I re-read Cujo a few years ago; Tad's death (despite my knowledge of it) hit me hard (the fact that I was now a parent might've played a role in my changed perspective). I knew it made sense for the reason mentioned above, but it seemed like one disaster too many. I think I felt like, can't we stop just short of a child's death? Everything else went wrong - can't Tad just make it out alive?
    I think about this book a lot for the same reason. I’m a damn fool but I’ve ultimately arrived at two conclusions on this:

1 - our maestro doesnt even remember writing it, so best not to linger too long on the moral compass of a coke binge’s thought process

2 - many of the characters (puppy included) had good or at least not bad intentions, but their choices yielded the worst possible outcome anyway. Cujo was just sniffing a hole in the ground (we’ve all been there), the cop was just trying to protect/serve and mom was just trying to protect her child. Sometimes life rabies happens to good people

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think Cujo was a very good book at all. It's been a few years since I've read it and a lot of the things I disliked have faded out of memory. But I remember not liking it much at all.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

but...
    end spoiler
    Agree with your observation but it led to one of SK's most poignant scenes in chapters 9-13 from Part III-Notes From The Dead Zone.

I agree with what everyone has said

Dead Zone spoiler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 660 of 714 FirstFirst ... 160 560 610 650 658 659 660 661 662 670 710 ... LastLast