Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 466 of 714 FirstFirst ... 366 416 456 464 465 466 467 468 476 516 566 ... LastLast
Results 11,626 to 11,650 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's just one of those books that has been on my radar forever that I haven't gotten around to, honestly. (I'm sure everyone here has a few of those )

I guess since I'm so intimately familiar with the films my inclination to read the novels has lessened over time ... if however you tell me that the novel completely blows the film away I might have no choice but to read it just for comparisons sake!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That stinks, Jen. I never understood pre-ordering books (unless they're signed/limited). If you don't get it the day it's released, what's the point. And it really sucks because it's B&N and I've never had any problems with them. But I'm betting you that they'll pull the "we're backed up with Christmas orders and shipping is a little slow" excuse.
    I usually don't do it either, but in the same case you mentioned. Hence the pre-order this time. but oh well...I have to make a run into town today so I'll just pick it up then...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm tapping out of The Casual Vacancy. I'm 80 pages in and I've found myself skimming through fairly substantial portions of it (something I hardly ever do) and have no interest in any of the characters or desire to see it through to the end. I gave it a shot, but it jus wasn't for me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'm tapping out of The Casual Vacancy. I'm 80 pages in and I've found myself skimming through fairly substantial portions of it (something I hardly ever do) and have no interest in any of the characters or desire to see it through to the end. I gave it a shot, but it jus wasn't for me.
    yes, this is what most people say

bears, however, are looking forward to a reread... maybe it's just not fit for human consumption

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

if however you tell me that the novel completely blows the film away I might have no choice but to read it just for comparisons sake!
    I thought the book was an excellent accompaniment to the film and visa versa. The movie offers visuals (example the town of Corleone) while the book offers character insight not easily gleaned from the movie (example Michael and Apollonia's relationship). One of my favorite reads - but of course Im biased...
    reality continues to ruin my life

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, I'm not far into it at all, but I'm really enjoying how the writing allows me to get a little closer to the character's thoughts and histories (Tom Hagen is definitely one obvious example of this so far). Oddly enough, I spoke to my mum about just starting the novel, and apparently she's not only read it but thought it was brilliant. Didn't think it'd be her kind of novel, really. Definitely eager to read the rest of it, now.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Peter Straub - The Floating Dragon
    Dan Simmons - Endymion
    China Mieville - Perdido Street Station
    Brian Hodge - Picking the Bones
    Garth Ennis - The Boys, Definitive Edition Vol. 1
    Alan Moore - From Hell

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Peter Straub - The Floating Dragon
    Dan Simmons - Endymion
    China Mieville - Perdido Street Station
    Brian Hodge - Picking the Bones
    Garth Ennis - The Boys, Definitive Edition Vol. 1
    Alan Moore - From Hell
    Im always impressed with your ability to read more than one at a time - I just cant do it. Gives me a brain ache.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Yeah, I'm not far into it at all, but I'm really enjoying how the writing allows me to get a little closer to the character's thoughts and histories (Tom Hagen is definitely one obvious example of this so far)
    The Tom Hogan character is a perfect example - the book really adds depth to him

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Really enjoyed Cold Days, and the twist at the end was badass. I can't wait for more.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Really enjoyed Cold Days, and the twist at the end was badass. I can't wait for more.
    The ending actually took me by surprise. I loved it.

Now I am starting Trapped, book 5 of The Iron Druid Chronicles. Anyone who likes The Dresden Files should really give the series a shot.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Facebook me some links, yo.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    if however you tell me that the novel completely blows the film away I might have no choice but to read it just for comparisons sake!
    I thought the book was an excellent accompaniment to the film and visa versa. The movie offers visuals (example the town of Corleone) while the book offers character insight not easily gleaned from the movie (example Michael and Apollonia's relationship). One of my favorite reads - but of course Im biased...
    Godfather I and II are in my top five movies of all time. I read this book a very long time ago and have a vague memory that reflects TN's sentiments. All this discussion makes me want to read it again.

Looking forward to your thoughts, DoctorD.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I have a *ton* of anthologies. Mostly sci-fi from the "Golden Age" but also lots of horror and some general collections as well. Right now I am about halfway through Hartwell's The Dark Descent. I've been planning on starting Stories or perhaps one of the recent Cemetery Dance publications (The Stoker Winners: Horror Hall of Fame or the two-volume The Century's Best Horror Fiction). Before this horror kick, I finished up Conklin's The Best of Science Fiction; Robert Silverberg's Science Fiction Hall of Fame; and a couple other collections (Science Fiction of the '50s and Space Odyssey).

Other recent reads were Roger Caras' Treasury of Great Cat Stories; Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts, and Joyce Carol Oates' The Museum of Dr. Moses.

I actually keep a speadsheet of all the stories, including my personal rating (1 to 4 stars) and a brief plot synopsis so I can keep track of what I've read over the years! For example, here are some 4-star stories from my current reading (first half of The Dark Descent):

The New Mother (Lucy Clifford)
    Young Goodman Brown (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
    Sticks (Karl Edward Wagner)
    Vandy, Vandy (Manly Wade Wellman)
    The Roaches (Thomas M. Disch)
    Bright Segment (Theodore Sturgeon)
    The Monkey (Stephen King)
    The Rats in the Walls (H.P. Lovecraft)
    Just finished up The Dark Descent. More of the 4-star stories:

Born of Man and Woman (Richard Matheson)
    Good Country People (Flannery O'Conner)
    Seven American Nights (Gene Wolfe)
    Crouch End (Stephen King)
    Clara Militch (Ivan Turgenev)
    The Repairer of Reputations (Robert W. Chambers)
    The Beckoning Fair One (Oliver Onions)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Godfather I and II are in my top five movies of all time. I read this book a very long time ago and have a vague memory that reflects TN's sentiments. All this discussion makes me want to read it again.

Looking forward to your thoughts, DoctorD.
    Absolutely loving it. Again, really like how it does expand on more than a few characters. Most surprising of all is where I'm at now with Johnny Fontane - a tiny, one-scene only character in the film, but here, he has his own sub-plot, which I really like. Actually reminds me of the Sopranos, where it'd focus on not just the main characters, but also occasionally look at those who've been affected by them and their "business", so I'm really appreciating that. Overall, I'm just loving the whole story and reading at a pretty fast pace by my standards, so while I'll take a couple of days break to catch up on my 2000AD reading (again, one of those times when I've been missing out on an amazing story, of course), I should hopefully finish this book by next week.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished 'Never More'...I have to say that I am disappointed with this book's ending...as in there wasn't any closure for me...the story was good but the ending was horrible. It was like James Patterson was in a hurry to finish it up or something. Some of the characters that were in the book didn't get an ending, he just left them on the side of the road...he usually has some stuff at the end of these books but in this one there isn't anything...no blog entries(in the whole Maximum Ride series one of the characters has a blog and he puts them at the end of the book.) I just hope he does put out more for this series besides this last book.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

Absolutely loving it. Again, really like how it does expand on more than a few characters. Most surprising of all is where I'm at now with Johnny Fontane - a tiny, one-scene only character in the film, but here, he has his own sub-plot, which I really like.
    I love that. When you watch the movie again it will be like viewing it in 3D with all the added character insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    All this discussion makes me want to read it again.
    Ditto!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooooooooooo, it looks like I need to read the book

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooooooooooo, it looks like I need to read the book
    What book?

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Hobbit last night. It was okay. It definitely took me awhile to get into it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you read the LotR trilogy, then? Because if you found the Hobbit to be a bit slow...you might not like the Lord of the Rings.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Have you read the LotR trilogy, then? Because if you found the Hobbit to be a bit slow...you might not like the Lord of the Rings.
    I haven't read any of the LOTR books. The Hobbit was the first JRR Tolkien that I've read. I just didn't like the episodic nature of the book. Too much "creature of the chapter" rather than a more "flowing" story. It was a decent enough read, but I wasn't too impressed.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I think The Hobbit is much slower than TLotR. The latter has this inner tension - it is actually packed, even if not exactly with events

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy

I've read them all because at the time I pretty much thought of them as nerd required reading but I doubt I'll ever read them again. Slowest story ever. Besides, I walk into Mordor whenever I fucken want to, YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 466 of 714 FirstFirst ... 366 416 456 464 465 466 467 468 476 516 566 ... LastLast