Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 414 of 714 FirstFirst ... 314 364 404 412 413 414 415 416 424 464 514 ... LastLast
Results 10,326 to 10,350 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are rereading Sun Dog, and it is totally awesome

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Still reading Duma Key and loving it, getting to the 100+ page read a day pace for me, that says alot.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key was an engrossing read, much like 11/22/63. I read it at about the same pace, Garrell, and I'm a slow reader, so approximately 70-100 pages a day is huge for me.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I should re-read the whole collection, I read it so long ago, but the great thing is that the stories are still vivid in my memory. But on the other hand, with so much yet to read, re-reading is something I've never done yet.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Love this series:

sk
    Great choice, one of my favorite series ever. I need to pick up Vol. 16.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the 4th book in the Inheritance Cycle series. When I first read Eragon, the 1st book, I was kind of "meh" on it, but the past two books have been AMAZING.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xile is on a distinguished road Xile's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been a fan of King since childhood. I'm currently reading 10/22/63 but am really having some trouble getting into the story. The first time that's happened to me with any of King's work but it just seems to drag on and drag on. I keep hearing from peeps that it gets better but right now I'm struggling to get past the love affair of the main guy and the temp. I'm about to give up, I swear.

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, 11/22/63 grabbed me from the first few pages and never let go.

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Hmm, 11/22/63 grabbed me from the first few pages and never let go.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell is going on with me and this story. I guess I'm just overly anxious for him to kick the shit out of J-W-B, heh.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, maybe it's just ridiculously high expectations. Everyone's loving this book atm. (Well, everyone except you and Jean.) That's why I'm waiting a long while before reading it: judge it on its own terms rather than the hype surrounding it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key was an engrossing read, much like 11/22/63.
    I would say exactly the same, only replacing "much" with "nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I should re-read the whole collection, I read it so long ago, but the great thing is that the stories are still vivid in my memory. But on the other hand, with so much yet to read, re-reading is something I've never done yet.
    Sun Dog is, I noticed, the most underappreciated of the four. I agree that the story might be found wanting (although I personally love it), but the writing is marvelous. It just doesn't get better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xile View Post
    I've been a fan of King since childhood. I'm currently reading 10/22/63 but am really having some trouble getting into the story. The first time that's happened to me with any of King's work but it just seems to drag on and drag on. I keep hearing from peeps that it gets better but right now I'm struggling to get past the love affair of the main guy and the temp. I'm about to give up, I swear.
    I don't think it will get any better. All the "better" I personally found there - except the ending and the story itself (as opposed to the way it is told), that is - was in the first part (about 1 eighth, I think)

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

I always have high expectations when King comes out with another book but imo, he seems to be losing some of his steam since Cell. I know about Lisey's Story (which I believe was released post-Cell) and again, only so-so. Which other books have been released since Cell was put on the shelves? Maybe I missed the good one? Um.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I loved it myself. Xile, did you like Cell? :devil:
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lots of people seemed to have a different opinion, but I really enjoyed Under the Dome.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I liked Cell, loved Under the Dome, and adored Duma Key

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Yeah bud, the brutalness of Cell put me right to sleep at night but I haven't really liked any of his newer ones. Though after reading the two posts above this one, I didn't even know about Under the Dome or Duma Key. Are those horror? I'm not really feeling King's "non-horror" stuff lately but still feel committed to finish 10/22/63 (by next year; 2013) . If we're still here after December 2012 that is. Heh.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Under the Dome isn't horror, per se (i.e. Pet Sematary) but includes some "human-made/caused" horror a la Needful Things, if that makes any sense.

I don't want to spoil the reason for the Dome, so I'll let you read it and decide if it's horror.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Which other books have been released since Cell was put on the shelves? Maybe I missed the good one? Um.
    Plenty of books between Cell and 11/22/63:

Lisey's Story
    Blaze
    Duma Key
    Just After Sunset
    Under the Dome
    Blockade Billy
    Full Dark, No Stars

See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Just started Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the 4th book in the Inheritance Cycle series. When I first read Eragon, the 1st book, I was kind of "meh" on it, but the past two books have been AMAZING.
    there are some that didn't like this series but i loved it to death. I was also amazed that it was written by a person that was in his teens when he started (around 16 i believe)

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Yeah bud, the brutalness of Cell put me right to sleep at night but I haven't really liked any of his newer ones. Though after reading the two posts above this one, I didn't even know about Under the Dome or Duma Key. Are those horror? I'm not really feeling King's "non-horror" stuff lately but still feel committed to finish 10/22/63 (by next year; 2013) . If we're still here after December 2012 that is. Heh.

Well then we're not gonna agree on anything, then, I HATED Cell. But Duma Key is awesome, I think you'll enjoy it.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite comics ever, finally in HC collections.
    Keep 'em coming, Dark Horse!

sk

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    there are some that didn't like this series but i loved it to death. I was also amazed that it was written by a person that was in his teens when he started (around 16 i believe)
    Oh yes, it is incredible when you think about that. And I think his writing just grows with each book. I love the dragons personalities, especially Glaedr's.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky, what a great book. Now starting Of Mice and Men.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

bears love The Idiot! I hope the translation was adequate

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes the translation was very good. The names could get a little confusing a times. with say Rozoghin also being Parfyon, the abbeviated names seemedso different from the longer names. I guess if I understood Russian it would make more sense. I love how he's able to word things and he really is a master of dialogue, especally the speeches. Myshkin's fit at the Epanchin's near the end of the book, when it seemed his entire view of the world poured was excellent. I was hooked from the conversation on the train at the books start, with talk of capital punishment. His writing is dense so it took me longer to get though this than Under The dome which is twice the length.

I've got Notes From The Underground and Crime and Punishment also to read. I was told I'd fly through Notes From The Underground.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 414 of 714 FirstFirst ... 314 364 404 412 413 414 415 416 424 464 514 ... LastLast