Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 632 of 713 FirstFirst ... 132 532 582 622 630 631 632 633 634 642 682 ... LastLast
Results 15,776 to 15,800 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I bet that made it even creepier!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears have been reading tons of Russian horrors

didn't even know such a genre existed. It sure hadn't before ten or fifteen years ago, except some classics (like Gogol) and elements of horror in regular novels of various authors. Well, the genre exists and, quite unexpectedly, prospers. There are authors who write genuinely creepy, scary, sometimes incredibly sick things - that don't read like anything I've read before; I mean, it's not imitation of anything already existing in the world (which I feared for some reason), but mainly totally original approach, based on our lore, history, locale, folk tales and urban legends etc. Bears are very impressed and only regret can't share none of it here.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    My list of unread King books is so small and I'm really debating finally giving Pet Sematary a go sometime soon. I've shied away from it because I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived.
    Thought #1: You haven't read it yet?!

Thought #2: Oh yeah, it'll destroy you.
    1. I saw the movie so much growing up that it took away any interest I had in reading the book because I felt like I already knew the story.
    2. I know, right?
    I still have a feeling I'm gonna give in one day and read it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John
    Ooh, talk about setting the right "tone" for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John
    That is cool, John! I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift. This was about time that Grunge music had hit the airwaves and I had it playing softly in the background while I read. So every time I hear a song from that time period, it takes me back to those long nights spent with Stu and the gang. And of course the Walking Dude.
    Awesome! I love it when music has the ability to take me back to a specific book/story. It's pretty neat how, no matter how many years pass, you can't not think of that story when you hear a certain song.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading:

So far it's about a dysfunctional rich family mostly drinking booze and lamenting, though they've yet to come together. I have a feeling once they come together, this novel is going to get quite entertaining and funny.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read the Poet by Connolly?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm in a reading slump right now. I'm halfway through The Body and it's just not holding my attention. I'm over halfway through an Otis Redding biography and haven't picked it up for days.
    I really really need a good book to be obsessed with right now.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was going to say now might be the time for Pet Sematary, but it might bum you out during the holidays.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Right?! I can't chance having my holidays ruined, Ricky! haha

And I still really want to read The Demonologist, but it's not available at the library right now and I don't know if I want to read it post-Halloween.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. This is pretty refreshing and rejuvenating stuff; his ideas and imagery are to my thirty-nine-year-old self what Verne and Wells were to me when I was nine. I'm surprised Subterranean Press hasn't already moved in on Liu.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Soooo anyone read the Poet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And I still really want to read The Demonologist, but it's not available at the library right now and I don't know if I want to read it post-Halloween.
    Yeah, skip Pet Sematary until January and after the holidays...that way when you read it iit's extra sad with your post-holiday slump.

And I initially read The Demonologist during a Halloween season, but imagine it would be just as enjoyable "off-season." Though I can see why you'd want to wait.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading cereal boxes while at breakfast
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading The Woman by Jack Ketchum. Guy has a real talent for making readers squirm uncomfortably in their seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Yeah, skip Pet Sematary until January and after the holidays...that way when you read it iit's extra sad with your post-holiday slump.

And I initially read The Demonologist during a Halloween season, but imagine it would be just as enjoyable "off-season." Though I can see why you'd want to wait.
    1. Pet Sematary combined with post-Christmas depression would be an awful combination.
    2. And I'll probably get around to reading The Demonologist before Halloween anyway. Hell, if I wait until Halloween, I'll probably forget all about it next year. haha

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'm reading The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. This is pretty refreshing and rejuvenating stuff; his ideas and imagery are to my thirty-nine-year-old self what Verne and Wells were to me when I was nine. I'm surprised Subterranean Press hasn't already moved in on Liu.
    When they do (and I'm sure they will) I'll be ready!

I missed the first book of the Imperial Radch trilogy and had to pay dearly for a complete set...

They are also the ones who introduced me to The Expanse series: I got the preorder email saying that Leviathan Wakes was almost sold out. I had never heard of it (somehow!) but I decided to go ahead and order a copy. SOOOOO happy I did! Cibola Burn is on its way to me as I type!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Last night I finished The Second World War, Volume IV: The Hinge of Fate by Winston Churchill.

Some interesting and/or amusing quotes:

“I had to burden the House for nearly two hours. They took what they got without enthusiasm.”

“The post of Ambassador to the Soviets has been found extremely unattractive by all British and Americans who have been called upon to fill it…”

“…things are increasingly a-quiver.”

“…our hands are too full, but I do not want them tied.”

“All this shows how much luck there is in human affairs, and how little we should worry about anything except doing our best.”

“As we gradually descended towards the Potomac River I noticed that the top of the Washington Monument, which is over five hundred and fifty feet high, was about our level, and I impressed upon Captain Kelly Rogers that it would be peculiarly unfortunate if we brought our story to an end by hitting this of all other objects in the world. He assured me that he would take special care to miss it.”

“The President drove me all over the estate… Mr. Roosevelt’s infirmity prevented him from using his feet on the brake, clutch, or accelerator. An ingenious arrangement enabled him to do everything with his arms, which were amazingly strong and muscular. He invited me to feel his biceps, saying that a famous prize-fighter had envied them. This was reassuring; but I confess that when on several occasions the car poised and backed on the grass verges of the precipices over the Hudson I hoped the mechanical devices and brakes would show no defects.”

“I was given a ‘walkie-talkie’ to carry. This was the first time I had ever handled such a convenience.”

...and three bonus quotes from FDR to Churchill:

“Stalin hates the guts of all your top people.”

“Once a month I go to Hyde Park for four days, crawl into a hole, and pull the hole in after me.”

“For the love of Heaven don’t bring me into this..."
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This morning I began The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I started Strange Weather by Joe Hill.

Traveler InsufficientData is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

At the moment I'm re-reading the DT books, including Insomnia (which I'm on now). Of the DT books, I'm half-way through The Wind Through The Keyhole.

After having a difficult time getting into most of what I've started lately, I decided to dive into Robert McCammon's Swan Song last night. It's a beast of a book, but it did grab my attention with the first two chapters and all I can think of is getting out of work so I can read it.
    That's a good sign.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now taking a break from The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill in order to fit in my annual read of A Christmas Carol.

Country
    Country Flag

Dean Koontz - Strange Highways

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just completed A Christmas Carol and returned to The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Now taking a break from The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill in order to fit in my annual read of A Christmas Carol.
    Have you heard about "Mr Dickens and His Carol", by Samantha Silva?
    I thought it was a wonderful "backstory" for the holiday classic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 632 of 713 FirstFirst ... 132 532 582 622 630 631 632 633 634 642 682 ... LastLast