Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 645 of 713 FirstFirst ... 145 545 595 635 643 644 645 646 647 655 695 ... LastLast
Results 16,101 to 16,125 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Has anyone read and liked In Cold Blood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    of course, it's a "Classic" and on most HD must reading lists in my ecollection. At least when I was in HS back in the day ('70's).
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some how this event seems vaguely familiar

I might have to check out WP. I checked out on the TV show.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

You're kidding right? Truman Capote? The Novel? man, the younger generation!! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

Spoiler:
    You're just fucking with me, right? lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

You're kidding right? Truman Capote? The Novel? man, the younger generation!! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

Spoiler:
    You're just fucking with me, right? lol lol
    Spoiler:
    Whatever do you mean
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Wayward Pines is AWESOME!
    Has anyone read any other works by Blake Crouch? I have Dark Matter but haven't started it yet.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I read Dark Matter and liked it a lot as well. Have not yet read any of his other books.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default What are you currently reading?

Finally finished The Terror. Might have been the slowest book I’ve ever read. But, it all pays off doesn’t it? What a ride.

Spoiler:
    I kept seeing reviews saying there’s nothing supernatural about this book. Complete and utter bullshit, right? The thing on the ice was a spirit that took the shape of a white bear and sucked souls out of real people. How is that not supernatural? Unless these people are saying that it was all a bunch of Eskimo mumbo jumbo and it was really just an unnaturally gigantic polar bear that the Esquimaux falsely believed was a spirit? What about the premonitions? Or how the bear didn’t eat Hickey? Or how the bear chewed off Crozier’s tongue? It’s based on true events but it was still fiction. I’m in Camp Supernatural on this. Curious if anyone here disagrees.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Phew, so glad you liked it man, after my ravings. I personally found the first third slow, and then it sucked me in and I chewed through it quickly. Maybe I was ready for something like this (and it was my first Simmons). And yes, absolutely supernatural - I saw the entity as a Lovecraftian nameless Old One.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Interesting comparison to an Old One. I took it as strictly Eskimo lore that turns out to be all true. I couldn’t believe how much the last few chapters changed and how much I appreciated what Simmons did there. That was a delicate thing he did. Could have easily ruined the whole book but it did the exact opposite.

I don’t know if any of that made sense.

My Mood
    Chatty

Oh and I relate to chewing through it once it hooked. Man the first 2/3 for me I was checking the page number all the time and taking forever to get through even 20 pages at some points. Then boom! I would check which page I was on when I put it down for the night and would be shocked by how much I had just read. As far as I’m concerned, the slow beginning, it was all worth it.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Interesting comparison to an Old One. I took it as strictly Eskimo lore that turns out to be all true. I couldn’t believe how much the last few chapters changed and how much I appreciated what Simmons did there. That was a delicate thing he did. Could have easily ruined the whole book but it did the exact opposite.

Yeah, I know what you mean re the ending. Masterful. And also, I think the Old Ones and Eskimo lore (which is definitely the link Simmons wants you to make) could possibly be the same thing. The nameless thing in the ice, indifferent and before time, etc

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I think the Old Ones and Eskimo lore (which is definitely the link Simmons wants you to make) could possibly be the same thing. The nameless thing in the ice, indifferent and before time, etc
    Spoiler:

I see. I probably just need to read more Lovecraft to fully get what you mean. You’re saying the Eskimo developed their religion around their experiences with an Old One. They’ve named it Tuunbaq but they don’t really know what it is. So do you think Sedna and the Moon and Air spirits (can’t remember their names) are also possibly Old Ones?

Country
    Country Flag

You’re testing my memory of the book a bit here here, but I guess my idea is akin to religions: Hindu, Muslim, Christians have different beamed for their God/Gods but it’s all the same - in the end.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVED the stuff at the end...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    You’re testing my memory of the book a bit here here, but I guess my idea is akin to religions: Hindu, Muslim, Christians have different beamed for their God/Gods but it’s all the same - in the end.
    My bad. I sometimes forget people didn’t just read the book like I did. I get what you’re saying now, that makes perfect sense. My lack of Lovecraft experience I think is why I needed to be spoon fed that explanation.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I finally saw why my wife and daughter were anxious for me to read this.

ATLWCS falls into a niche of historical fiction that has been done before (not that there isn’t room for more good writing in that corner): sympathetic characters in German occupied Europe during WWII. The usual trappings are here: humanity and innocence amidst brutality and apathy, the juxtaposition of violence with kindness, the senselessness of German aggression etc. But, as with all truly good writing, the backdrop, however essential, is not the story, and this story is remarkable both for how it unfolds as well as for the writing that conveys it.

A problem I have when reading historical fiction is the nagging sense that, since I’m aware of the war’s general outcome, I know where the story is going, but surprises (both good and bad) were to be found in ATLWCS. I will say that, if you read the description on Amazon, certain things are overstated, and you may well be expecting a different tale from what is here.

What is here:
    - Smooth, at times dream-like, writing that doesn’t simply support the idea that good can live amidst the evil, but that it is the quality that is essentially us (effective writing can sometimes be like a hammer (functional and direct), but other times, like a violin (smooth, beautiful, evocative); that of ATLWCS is definitely the latter).
    - Characters ordinary enough to allow us to identify with them, on journeys with a gradual enough accretion of emotional and psychological impact to allow a rich payoff without the necessity of an overkill-laden finale. It is all subtle, it is all ordinary, and in the end, it is anything but.

I would be lying if I said this was up there with It and Shadowland (read it! you fools!) as one of my personal favorite books – I don’t read books to feel sad, or really to feel anything too deeply, but I would be lying if I didn’t pass along the fact that this was a damn good book. If this book seems at all like something you might be willing to try, do so.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just started One Second After by William Forstchen.

It's still early (p 57), but I've read enough to know two things: I'm enjoying it, and Forstchen's style is more hammer than violin (fine by me, given my interest in the subject matter).

One Second After is about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US (the book is said to be based on an actual Congressional study that looked into this threat) and is the first book of a trilogy; hopefully it will go well enough for me to read the other two.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Has anyone read any other works by Blake Crouch? I have Dark Matter but haven't started it yet.
    I've read most of his books. The only ones I haven't are the serial killer ones. I read the first one, but it's just not my cup of tea so never read the others. I'd definitely recommend checking out his other books.

My personal rankings would be:
    Wayward Pines series
    Run
    Dark Matter
    Fully Loaded (collection of short stories)
    Abandon
    Draculas (written with three other authors)
    Snowbound

and these last few I wasn't overly thrilled with:
    Desert Places (first of the serial killer books)
    Eerie (written with his brother)
    Famous

Finally finished The Terror. Might have been the slowest book I’ve ever read. But, it all pays off doesn’t it? What a ride.

Spoiler:
    I kept seeing reviews saying there’s nothing supernatural about this book. Complete and utter bullshit, right? The thing on the ice was a spirit that took the shape of a white bear and sucked souls out of real people. How is that not supernatural? Unless these people are saying that it was all a bunch of Eskimo mumbo jumbo and it was really just an unnaturally gigantic polar bear that the Esquimaux falsely believed was a spirit? What about the premonitions? Or how the bear didn’t eat Hickey? Or how the bear chewed off Crozier’s tongue? It’s based on true events but it was still fiction. I’m in Camp Supernatural on this. Curious if anyone here disagrees.
    There's definitely a supernatural aspect to the book. Suprised that some people say there isn't. What I liked about it though, was that aspect of the story took a backseat to the main storyline. I didn't find it to be slow one bit. But I am fascinated by the arctic so I loved all that stuff. So glad you enjoyed the book
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I finally finished The Stand

I'd give it a 4/5. I'm glad I read it, and can appreciate it, but I doubt I'll ever read it again. It started off really good with the flu being unleashed, but then it drastically slowed down and I struggled with it for hundreds of pages. It did finally start to pick back up again once things started coming together though. I kind of wish I had read the original version, I think I might have liked it a bit more because there did seem to be a lot of unnecessary stuff that slowed down the story for me.

Spoiler:
    My biggest complaints were in Book III. There was all this buildup about Harold and Nadine going to the darkside, but once they leave, Harold is killed instantly, and Nadine is killed right after Flagg impregnates her. I wish there was a bit more story concerning those two. Also once things started happening it seemed to move super fast. I kind of wish he had omitted the slow unnecessary portions early on and added a more details at the end. I also have a question as to why Mother Abigail was bringing everyone to Boulder? Why closer to Flagg? Was it just that it would be easier to rebuild there versus where she was living?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Those who've studied it more and/or recall it more clearly can do better than I but here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So I finally finished The Stand...

Spoiler:
    My biggest complaints were in Book III. There was all this buildup about Harold and Nadine going to the darkside, but once they leave, Harold is killed instantly, and Nadine is killed right after Flagg impregnates her. I wish there was a bit more story concerning those two.
    I believe the point there was that
    Spoiler:
    Harold and Nadine were just tools, cast aside once Flagg had used them as he'd intended. Because Harold had failed in his attempt to kill the main group, Flagg was none too pleased with him, and that usually only means one thing...

Spoiler:
    I also have a question as to why Mother Abigail was bringing everyone to Boulder? Why closer to Flagg? Was it just that it would be easier to rebuild there versus where she was living?
    I guess you could say
    Spoiler:
    she wasn't bringing everyone to Boulder; whatever was leading her was also leading everyone else to Boulder, which was in good shape, as post-apocalyptic American cities went. I suppose proximity to Flagg was necessary, given the intended battle.

That makes sense.
    Spoiler:
    I can understand the Harold thing, even though his quick death wasn't as spectacular as I would have liked But Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:
    ...Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.
    I think that is because
    Spoiler:
    that's getting to the point of the story where things are starting to turn bad for Flagg (just why his plans had to all rot like fruit is a discussion for another day...), and Nadine foiling his attempt to father a child was a big part of that.

I think Flagg literally only wanted one thing from each of them (Harold and Nadine).

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Heather19;1116626]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    I've read most of his books. The only ones I haven't are the serial killer ones. I read the first one, but it's just not my cup of tea so never read the others. I'd definitely recommend checking out his other books.

My personal rankings would be:
    Wayward Pines series
    Run
    Dark Matter
    Fully Loaded (collection of short stories)
    Abandon
    Draculas (written with three other authors)
    Snowbound

and these last few I wasn't overly thrilled with:
    Desert Places (first of the serial killer books)
    Eerie (written with his brother)
    Famous

Thanks for the ratings. I plan on reading Dark Matter next as I picked it up cheap at HPB.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

As I've said, I'm all in on Wayward Pines.

I bought Run but haven't read it. I also have Dark Matter and haven't read it.

I think I'll give Run a go.

(I still have some recent King to catch up on too.)
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Spoiler:
    ...Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.
    I think that is because
    Spoiler:
    that's getting to the point of the story where things are starting to turn bad for Flagg (just why his plans had to all rot like fruit is a discussion for another day...), and Nadine foiling his attempt to father a child was a big part of that.

I think Flagg literally only wanted one thing from each of them (Harold and Nadine).
    That’s how I understood it.

Spoiler:
    Flagg threw her off the roof immediately after she told him she ruined his chance of impregnating her. If I’m remembering correctly, that is. I can’t remember how she ruined his chances though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 645 of 713 FirstFirst ... 145 545 595 635 643 644 645 646 647 655 695 ... LastLast