Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 670 of 714 FirstFirst ... 170 570 620 660 668 669 670 671 672 680 ... LastLast
Results 16,726 to 16,750 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I imagine those that rated We Are Not Ourselves low or more middling aren't into stories that don't have a strict plot. It's very much a book that meanders, a collection of moments in a lifetime. But it's excellent and very easy to read 100 pages at a time unless you're a reader who needs a strong driving narrative to keep you going.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Helen Marshall - The Migration

She's a local girl (Sarnia, Ontario) and this is her first novel. I just read 100 pages in one sitting. Gaiman's endorsement is right on the cover.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished A Game Of Thrones (I made it past my initial trouble with sheer character overload, and it paid off big-time). Wildly exciting, chaotic and unpredictable; even as large forces (alliances, grievances) shift and evolve, immediate events drive it all. There are so many "WTF" things:

Spoiler:
    Bran pushed out a window; incest among the powerful; King Robert's death, actual dragons; Eddard executed; Jaime captured; Dany killing Drogo, Viserys' "gold crown"

...you really never know when the wheels are going to come off next.

Martin does a great job creating interesting characters (Tyrion is fantastic, Arya rocks, Joffrey is a giant douchebag; I could go on and on) and memorable scenes; it's good to finally understand what all the fuss was about.

I will start A Clash Of Kings tonight and can't wait to jump in. Unfortunately, my reading of ASOIAF will have to pause for several months after that; I have 2 Arthur Machen volumes (from Centipede Press and Oxford University Press) to work on in October/early November, then mucho Christmas reading (A Christmas Carol, 2 volumes of other Dickens Christmas Stories, and The Greatest Gift by Philip Van Doren Stern (which was the basis of It's A Wonderful Life)) from November through December.

And even then, since these (ASOIAF) are my daughter's books, I can't read A Storm Of Swords until she does - although she finished ACOK a few months ago, she still doesn't plan to get to ASOS by January - so, it could be almost a year before I get to that. Bah!

I know I should consider this wait a good thing, given that only 5 books are finished and I'll just end up having to wait for 6 & 7 with the rest of the world, but I want to race through them all right now.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...a bit more about A Game Of Thrones:

As basically everyone knows (and I suspected, before reading), AGOT is not "quest-y," like LOTR (destroy the ring before it destroys all of you!) or Harry Potter (destroy Voldemort before he destroys all of you!) or even The Kingkiller Chronicle (no clearly defined "quest" but feels as if it's working toward something having to do with the [REDACTED]); basically, the concerns here are much more pedestrian and human - although this is still fantasy by any definition, and as I said before, quite exciting.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I finished Nick Cutter's The Troop in one day. Guys, seriously, when Stephen King said it was "old-school horror at its best", he wasn't kidding. It was a damn good book that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a solid, well-written, scary story.

Currently reading: Will Save the Galaxy for Food by Yahtzee Croshaw

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you read The Deep by Cutter?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Did you read The Deep by Cutter?
    Not yet. But after reading The Troop, I want to check out The Deep.
    Did you read The Deep?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it's creepy as shit. I know for sure you'll like it.

Yes, it's creepy as shit. I know for sure you'll like it.
    You had me at "creepy as shit".

I can't wait to read it. Not only for the scary factor, but I really really enjoyed Cutter's writing style with The Troop. It felt like I easily slipped into the story just like I do with King's books and that doesn't happen often for me.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I finished Nick Cutter's The Troop in one day. Guys, seriously, when Stephen King said it was "old-school horror at its best", he wasn't kidding. It was a damn good book that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a solid, well-written, scary story.
    You read the whole book in one day?!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I did! Now, to be fair, I accomplished absolutely nothing else in that 24 hours other than lounge around, but still- I didn't want to to anything other than read the book. I'm telling you, Ricky. It was good!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got The Troop on my couch right now.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just listened to Where the Crawdads Sing. I needed to see what all the fuss was about. I'll preface this by saying that this isn't my normal type of book to choose to read, but I didn't care for it at all. It was also giving me major Glass Castle vibes. And that's another book I hated, so maybe that's also why I didn't enjoy it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I've got The Troop on my couch right now.
    Nice!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started A Clash Of Kings, now about 70 pages in. Very exciting, in line with AGOT. Joffrey needs a beating more than ever before, and I'm sure it will only get worse.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finished The Migration. Solid 4 out of 5. It loses a little momentum in the second third but that's just the quiet before the literal storm. Or extinction event rather. The spirit of the book is similar to Greg Bear's Blood Music and ACC's A Childhood's End but the author is coming at the story from a more human (vs. scientific) angle.

I'm going to tackle Tremblay's collection Growing Things but I can't say I'm excited about it. First two stories were of the "choose your own adventure" type with ambiguous endings, and you know, I used to be all about that but these days I don't have an endless amount of patience and time to parse the meaning out of some convoluted 10-page story.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I started A Confederacy of Dunces last night and I already want to wring Ignatius' neck with my bare hands. Holy hell, he is insufferable.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did! Now, to be fair, I accomplished absolutely nothing else in that 24 hours other than lounge around, but still- I didn't want to to anything other than read the book. I'm telling you, Ricky. It was good!
    That's high praise if you read it that quickly!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrika View Post
    I read Looking for Alaska by John Green. That man is rather pretentious and his books are formulaic. He always seems to recycle his plotlines and characters. It's like he keeps writing the same book over and over again.
    Time to move on.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So that means The Need is as good as The Troop

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just finished Boy's Life. What a great book. I will fully admit that it took me a little bit to get into due to the lack of an overall plotline, but once I got passed that, I really began to enjoy it. The writing is wonderful, and it's really a book that I think I'll continue to reflect back on.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just downloaded The Troop based off your recommendation. Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Just finished Boy's Life. What a great book. I will fully admit that it took me a little bit to get into due to the lack of an overall plotline, but once I got passed that, I really began to enjoy it. The writing is wonderful, and it's really a book that I think I'll continue to reflect back on.
    Oh man, I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I loved that story so much, so I always like hearing of other people's opinions on it. I really want to get around to rereading it one day.

Nice! Let me know how you end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

So that means The Need is as good as The Troop
    Yes, Matt. The Need and The Troop were both excellent books.

Country
    Country Flag

Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Phenomenal stuff.

I'm actually rereading the first hundred or so pages, it's that good.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! Let me know how you end up liking it.
    100 pages in. So far, so good!

I love Cutter's descriptive powers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 670 of 714 FirstFirst ... 170 570 620 660 668 669 670 671 672 680 ... LastLast