Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 642 of 713 FirstFirst ... 142 542 592 632 640 641 642 643 644 652 692 ... LastLast
Results 16,026 to 16,050 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just started "The Listener" by Robert McCammon. On pg 100 not too exciting yet. Hoping it gets better....
    It doesnt.... A very bland book for me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I was on the fence about picking up The Listener because of the mixed reviews and i also thought the last two books were pretty bland. I'll read it but I'm getting it from the library.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Just started "The Listener" by Robert McCammon. On pg 100 not too exciting yet. Hoping it gets better....
    I will finish it out no matter what. Luckily it is not real long..

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it! One of the better McCammons imo.

sk

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Matthew Bartlett's "Gateways to Abominations"... It's a quick read, disturbing little nightmarish vignettes that loosely hang together and stay with you after reading - reminded me of David Lynch imagery. Liked it a lot.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I will finish it out no matter what. Luckily it is not real long..
    I finished "The Listener" and it did get better around pg 200 of 320. It reminded me of a Mathew Corbet novel in that it had a lot of historical information about what it was like to live in that time period. I enjoyed it, but it was slow to develop.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Started The Immaculate Void by Brian Hodge.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Started Goblin by Josh Malerman the other day. Only 2 stories in, but so far it's really good.

Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up. It seems to be considered his best book, but right now I probably wouldn't even have it in my top 5. I started it once before and got about 500 pages in before I stopped. I'm not too much further than last time, but I don't really have a strong draw to read it. This happened before and I put it down and never picked it up again until now.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Started Goblin by Josh Malerman the other day. Only 2 stories in, but so far it's really good.

Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up. It seems to be considered his best book, but right now I probably wouldn't even have it in my top 5. I started it once before and got about 500 pages in before I stopped. I'm not too much further than last time, but I don't really have a strong draw to read it. This happened before and I put it down and never picked it up again until now.
    I found it really slow as well but I couldn’t put it down for some reason. I think the character development is where King shines his brightest with this book. All I can say is this book is about the ride more than anything else. That’s how I felt anyway.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely keep going! I felt the same about the slow moving plot, and to be honest, my expectations for the book were way different. I was thinking something along the lines of The Road, or Mad Max. While not my favorite, I still hold the book in high regard, and would easily recommend it. Hopefully at some point the book will find it's groove for you!

On a side note, I just finished Black House tonight. At first, I thought it was just alright, and actually liked The Talisman more. Now? I think it's pretty damn hard to chose, like apples to oranges. I really hope that rumored third book happens

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Should I give it a try? I liked Bird Box a lot but for some reason I haven't felt the urge to pick up any of his other books.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

It was pretty slow for me too, Heather. And I also think it was just so over-hyped for me by the time I got around to reading it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I finished The Passage a few days ago and am now about a quarter of the way into The Twelve.
    I am really really digging this book.
    Spoiler:
    I love how the timeline has jumped all the way back to the beginning of the story.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I finished The Passage a few days ago and am now about a quarter of the way into The Twelve.
    Spoiler:
    I love how the timeline has jumped all the way back to the beginning of the story.
    I really have to bump this up on my tbr list. I’m guessing then you like it a lot more that The Stand?

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Should I give it a try? I liked Bird Box a lot but for some reason I haven't felt the urge to pick up any of his other books.
    I have Birdbox on my to read list still but seeing his newest book "On This, the Day of the Pig". I just had to draw a line. Just reminds me of a book I picked up a long time ago called "Apocalypse Cow" and now animal zombie books are out for me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Glad to hear I'm not alone on The Stand. Funny thing is it started out really good, but now seems to be dragging a bit. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead? And don't worry I plan to finish it this time. It's our book for bookclub this month and next month. I'm just hoping I can finish it in time because I think it's taken me about 2 months to get halfway though Normally long books don't take me that long if I'm fully invested in them. Finished It, The Terror, and 11/22/63 all within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a collection of 6 novellas all taking place in this town called Goblin. I've seen it referred to as his version of Derry or Castlerock, which I can see. I'm three stories in, three more to go, but so far they've all been solid. My favorite so far is Kamp, what a great story. I've only read Bird Box by him as well, but I would put this up there near that one. I really like his writing style. Hoping to get to Unbury Carol soon, as I've heard great things about that one.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also halfway through The Stand...did anyone else find it a little slow going?
    I don't consider it slow, but it is the kind of book where you feel like you live side by side with the characters for a long time, and for some readers, that's pretty much the same thing. I can't remember a part of the book where something or other wasn't unfolding, though, so for me, it's all pretty exciting.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Spoiler:
    I really have to bump this up on my tbr list. I’m guessing then you like it a lot more that The Stand?
    A lot more.

. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead?
    I wondered the same thing when I read it. Going in, I thought: "Well, of course I'm gonna read the expanded version so I get more story", but maybe the original was better.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If you're the type of person that thinks The Stand is slow or drags, you're probably better off reading the original, shorter version.

On the other hand, if you're not digging it that much, and may only end up reading it once, but you're a FOMO type of person, you may still want to read the uncut version so that you never have to wonder what you missed.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead?
    I wondered the same thing when I read it. Going in, I thought: "Well, of course I'm gonna read the expanded version so I get more story", but maybe the original was better.
    I prefer the original but it was interesting to read the uncut version as well. I first read The Stand upon publication in 1978 so the hype factor wasn't there to set expectations. I enjoyed the story but wasn't thinking magmun opus. Same with IT. Both are good books but neither resonate with me today. There are a handful of SK books that still do and those are the ones that I like to revisit from time to time.

My Mood
    Chatty

I can’t imagine how the original could be better. One of the best parts was the Trashcan Man and The Kid storyline. For me at least.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up.
    It was pretty slow for me too, Heather. And I also think it was just so over-hyped for me by the time I got around to reading it.
    I remember feeling the same when I read it and thinking, "When is this gonna get to the 'amazing' level that people keep talking about?" I don't think it ever did in terms of shocks or suspense or fast pacing (which is what I had imagined prior to reading), but the characters were incredibly real and captivating, which made up for it. It's definitely a book to read for the characters.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    seeing his newest book "On This, the Day of the Pig". I just had to draw a line. Just reminds me of a book I picked up a long time ago called "Apocalypse Cow" and now animal zombie books are out for me.

And I saw that CD was doing a limited of his new one, but the plot synopsis does nothing for me. I hear from a lot of people who have read other things by him that Bird Box was his peak and everything else wasn't so great. Opinions? I've only read Bird Box (and enjoyed it).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Thanks for the feedback on The Stand everyone. Seems like I was expecting something different from it. I'll post back in a month when I finish it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A follow up to this:

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    This morning I began Moby Dick...

I'm reading a special edition of this...

My main concern is that I do my reading on the train, and this is a huge, pristine (for now) white book. Last night, on the train home, a young boy in a stroller brandished a soggy half-eaten Oreo at his fellow travelers, only a few feet away from me and my copy of Last Call. I was not worried; my copy of LC is a very used ex-library copy, with stains, tape marks and anything else you can think of - if he'd thrown the Oreo my way, I would've snapped it up in the book and returned it to his mother. But with MB, I'll have to be a bit more protective. Still, my train riding experience has shown damp foodstuffs in small hands to be the exception rather than the rule, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
    I'm still reading my giant white Moby Dick, and last night, the mother sat down next to me and pulled the stroller in front of both of us. No Oreos this time, but at least two containers of cookies were employed, as well as one drink (and why is train time meal time?). So, I thought: do I stash the book? Maybe I'm worried about nothing - but by the time the cookie flies, it will be too late to take action. Well, my general tendency toward inertia held, I did nothing, and nothing happened. But still...my luck. If I see the kid again, I think I'll have to take the universe's hint and tuck the book away. Stay tuned...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 642 of 713 FirstFirst ... 142 542 592 632 640 641 642 643 644 652 692 ... LastLast