Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 473 of 714 FirstFirst ... 373 423 463 471 472 473 474 475 483 523 573 ... LastLast
Results 11,801 to 11,825 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Library.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

A few ideas -
    1. Some public libraries have some of the Sandman volumes.
    2. There's a chance you could still find the single issue reprints Vertigo did for cheap; look in the back issue bins at your local comic store. (Possibly under "S" for Sandman, "V" for Vertigo, or "E" for "Essential Vertigo") http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Es..._Sandman_Vol_1
    3. Discounts on the collection volumes (called the "graphic novels" by some) by joining science fiction book club.
    4. Best condition used through eBay or Amazon.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Library.
    Yeah, I don't use the library I have this issue where I don't like to give books back/I don't know what other people do with the books when they have them. Once got a book there that had a used bandaid in it. Never again...*shudders*

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Time to see what all the hype's about. It's really good so far.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?
    , should have figured you had Graveyard Book under your belt already!

The Sandman is his most complete work, and my personal favorite with American Gods nipping at it's heels. If rumors are to be believed he's working on a follow up to the series so now would be as good a time as ever to hop on board. You are aware however that is is a graphic novel series, correct?
    Not a rumor, but it is a prequel to explain why Morpheus is so weak at the beginning and where he was.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/neil-...el-five,82448/

He announces it in the video on that link.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?
    , should have figured you had Graveyard Book under your belt already!

The Sandman is his most complete work, and my personal favorite with American Gods nipping at it's heels. If rumors are to be believed he's working on a follow up to the series so now would be as good a time as ever to hop on board. You are aware however that is is a graphic novel series, correct?
    I know. Isn't it great! I have seen lots of pictures from it, amazing art from such legend artists. Not even mentioning Dave McKean.

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I would so love to get into The Sandman stuff, but graphic novels are so damn expensive! Any suggestions as to how one might obtain them cheaply? Because for as much time as I spend actually reading, it's just not a good idea to spend that much.
    Graphic Novels are rare here. Rarely translated. It feels bad when you have to pay for international shipment more than you pay for the book itself.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, started it a while back, but I think I need to sort out some time to properly read it. Only read the first couple of chapters of the first volume. From everything I've heard, it sounds like a true epic in 10 volumes.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started Rough Crossings by Simon Schama.

I enjoyed his History of Britain so I hope I enjoy this too.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely have to re-read Wind Through Keyhole. Listened to it originally, and it definitely not the same.

Anyhoo...currently listening to Dan Simmons "THE TERROR." So far it's good...anyone read this? Opinions? (without spoilers)

Thanks.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am reading it now, it's awesomeness incarnate!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    Definitely have to re-read Wind Through Keyhole. Listened to it originally, and it definitely not the same.

Anyhoo...currently listening to Dan Simmons "THE TERROR." So far it's good...anyone read this? Opinions? (without spoilers)

Thanks.

G
    The Terror is very good. Dan Simmons is a genius at writing historical fiction.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks.

G
    I haven't read it yet but I'll get to it eventually. I wouldn't bother with the audio book though. It's an abridged version with about 2/3 of the book left out.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Terror, along with his Drood, are among my favorite Simmons books. The Terror is great!

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

totally

I don't want it to ever end
    (luckily, it doesn't seem like it ever will)

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    totally

I don't want it to ever end
    (luckily, it doesn't seem like it ever will)
    Bahahahha...too funny. Finished it today. Really liked it. Second Dan Simmons book i should read?? I have Children of the Night in my iPOD already... DROOD??

Next book i'm reading (just started) is Neil Gaimann's Anasi Boys. Thoughts?

Gabriel
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Drood, but I'm also a huge fan of Charles Dickens.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    bears too!! and I can't start Drood after The Terror, because The Mystery of Edwin Drood is one of the VERY few Dickens' novels I haven't read yet!

: bangs head against wall :

though, on the other hand, I can read Dickens right after I finish The Terror... what a good idea... now if only I can find it in downloadable format

ETA: found it on Project Gutenberg!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    bears too!! and I can't start Drood after The Terror, because The Mystery of Edwin Drood is one of the VERY few Dickens' novels I haven't read yet!

: bangs head against wall :

though, on the other hand, I can read Dickens right after I finish The Terror... what a good idea... now if only I can find it in downloadable format
    I have not read Dickens' Edwin Drood, but thoroughly enjoyed Simmons' Drood.

I hesitate reading Edwin Drood because it was never actually finished. I think it would drive me crazy.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, but bears have nothing to lose in this respect

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

Thanks.

G
    I haven't read it yet but I'll get to it eventually. I wouldn't bother with the audio book though. It's an abridged version with about 2/3 of the book left out.
    Cool! Though I normally hate abridgements. I found this book could have/should have been MUCH shorter. In fact I got about two thirds in and gave up on it. And I like most of what I've read by him...some of it I love.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if I will feel the same when I am two thirds in, but at 55% I just can't get enough.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, if you like Simmons, check out Tim Powers and Gene Wolfe. Both are absolutely fantastic.

Reading: Koontz - Dragon Tears, Tim Powers - The Drawing of the Dark, Haruki Murikami - 1Q84

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am just shocked to learn there are Dicken's stories bears haven't read.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 473 of 714 FirstFirst ... 373 423 463 471 472 473 474 475 483 523 573 ... LastLast