Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 714 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 567 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yes... that's one thing about the book... it really gives a proper perspective to the events rather than what we think WE would have done differently.
    There's a lot about the inconsistencies of the German army as well, which made the Jews in the ghetto never really sure what, if anything, was going to happen next.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (my first time)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    Most of what the Jews had was taken away a little at a time, and they were villified a little at a time. By the time they really could change anything, it was too late.
    Its the "boiling a frog" syndrome.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading Song of Susannah and I'm finding myself impatient and skimming. I just need to take a deep breath and calm down and enjoy what I'm reading at the moment.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

On Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    Am half way through Gerald's Game and the bitchch is still handcuffed to the bed!

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    On Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    Am half way through Gerald's Game and the bitchch is still handcuffed to the bed!
    I first read that one when I was a kid. As an adult it's much scarier.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    On Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    So does it get better because now she's
    Spoiler:
    talking to her imaginary therapist that lives inside her head...

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    So does it get better because now she's
    Spoiler:
    talking to her imaginary therapist that lives inside her head...
    Well the whole book is more of a "psychological thriller" than most of King's books. Trust me after you're done, everytime you wake up in the middle of the night and see a strange shadow or shape it'll scare the ever living shit out of you.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

My Mood
    Worried

Ooooooooooooooohh.... Sounds intriguing... Thank ye big big!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm now reading Lovedeath by Dan Simmons.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Trust me after you're done, everytime you wake up in the middle of the night and see a strange shadow or shape it'll scare the ever living shit out of you.
    Yes, that part of the book freaked me out!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I did see the movie! I really liked it.
    The book is excellent... it's very short, and horrifying. The movie is pretty accurate to the book, the book is more detailed and you really get an insight into the Jewish mindset during the occupation. Some accounts in the book made me sick...
    be warned...

Spoiler:
    he makes reference to the German's favorite way of killing children... picking them up by their feet and smashing their heads into brick walls

anyway, if you enjoyed the movie I highly recommend the book.
    Quite a few years ago I slugged my way through the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Prior to that, I always had a really hard time imagining why 6 million people would allow themselves to be marched into gas chambers and killed like that. I really needed to understand. It was easy to understand after reading the book though. Most of what the Jews had was taken away a little at a time, and they were villified a little at a time. By the time they really could change anything, it was too late, as a group they were way too weak to do anything about it. The brutality of the Nazis never ceases to amaze me.
    I'm a pretty big "social history" buff on Nazi Germany - it is truly a fascinating subject.

I had a prof at CSU who was a small boy in Germany during WWII. He has the best fucking stories, let me tell you. That guy was a wealth of information. He gave me a really extensive reading list for outside of class. I am still slowly chipping away at it.

TerribleT, I can loan you a few good ones, or copy the list for you. It's really quite good.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    TerribleT, I can loan you a few good ones, or copy the list for you. It's really quite good.
    I might take you up on that in the near future, right now I'm in the middle of rereading DT. I'm not capable of reading more than one book at a time.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Rereading, and examining, SoS.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

started Duma Key on saturday

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished A Game of Thrones a few days ago and am now wrapping up Catch-22.

Can anyone vouch for Closing Time, Catch-22's sequel?

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    Rereading, and examining, SoS.
    I love the way you worded that... Examining...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished A Widow for One Year by John Irving and am now starting Blaze.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I did see the movie! I really liked it.
    The book is excellent... it's very short, and horrifying. The movie is pretty accurate to the book, the book is more detailed and you really get an insight into the Jewish mindset during the occupation. Some accounts in the book made me sick...
    be warned...

Spoiler:
    he makes reference to the German's favorite way of killing children... picking them up by their feet and smashing their heads into brick walls

anyway, if you enjoyed the movie I highly recommend the book.
    Quite a few years ago I slugged my way through the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Prior to that, I always had a really hard time imagining why 6 million people would allow themselves to be marched into gas chambers and killed like that. I really needed to understand. It was easy to understand after reading the book though. Most of what the Jews had was taken away a little at a time, and they were villified a little at a time. By the time they really could change anything, it was too late, as a group they were way too weak to do anything about it. The brutality of the Nazis never ceases to amaze me.
    I'm a pretty big "social history" buff on Nazi Germany - it is truly a fascinating subject.

I had a prof at CSU who was a small boy in Germany during WWII. He has the best fucking stories, let me tell you. That guy was a wealth of information. He gave me a really extensive reading list for outside of class. I am still slowly chipping away at it.

What's on the list? I'd like some ideas, please!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll try to remember to pull it out when I get home and give you a few, but off the top of my head the best one on there was Frauen: German Women Recall the Third Reich, by Alison Owings.

Gunslinger Apprentice kithereal is on a distinguished road kithereal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    started Duma Key on saturday
    Ohhh...I just started Duma Key also.....I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I am loving it..I really like the main character Edgar very much...he may be a favorite..
    I am at work right now and I can't wait to get home and read more....King's books are always the biggest treats , like an adventure.
    I can never see anything coming ( that is so refreshing )
    KIT

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Insomnia
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

20th Century Ghosts
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry.

Gunslinger Apprentice BedOfRoses will become famous soon enough BedOfRoses's Avatar

Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub
    The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 714 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 567 ... LastLast