Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 711 of 714 FirstFirst ... 211 611 661 701 709 710 711 712 713 ... LastLast
Results 17,751 to 17,775 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Stepping away from Dandelion Wine for a bit. I'm finding it hard to lock into the feel (or whatever) of the book. It's not really about a boy's thoughts and ruminations on life, it's really just Bradbury in the driver's seat aka the 12-year-old kid. Maybe this is how he wants to have remembered his childhood. Kids aren't typically this introspective nor are adults this sugary and infantile. I will definitely finish the book but for now, I need a little break because it's not hitting all the right spots the way it did the first time.

I did finish Thomas Ligotti - Death Poems, and Tom Piccirilli- The Dog Syndrome and Other Sick Puppies. The former isn't Ligotti's best work (there is zero plot, it's all just prose poems about how much existence sucks and is pointless), the latter was a fantastic read with one of the heaviest final lines after an already tragic story ("There must be a sequel to my life.") Damn. The stories are definitely horror but are still very human(e) and I think the theme in most of these is how much we're willing to debase ourselves for a little human touch/caring/love/attention/whatever.

Reading: Karen Hall - Dark Debts

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Dark Forces

This book is in the time capsule, right?

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Stepping away from Dandelion Wine for a bit.
    I enjoy listening to the audiobook in August while mowing the yard.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Playing a little catch up here.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. The story is great even if it is a little tame compared to today's stories of the future.

The Disappearance by Bentley Little. Why isn't this a movie? Blumhouse could do it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. It's a Classic! Hard not to picture Depp.

The Policy by Bentley Little. Another one I liked, especially the ending.

All the Pretty Ponies by Cormac McCarthy. I enjoyed it, but it was a little long in the tooth.

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. If you can, listen to the audiobook version. It's a full cast. This was a reread. It had been so long that I forgot some of the key things. Chuck writes some crazy stuff.

Immortality, Inc. Robert Sheckley. This came out in 1959! It must have influenced several sci-fi writers. Very cool.

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. This is the book I'm currently reading aloud for my kids. Fantastica is written in such detail!
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Country
    Country Flag

Victor Lavalle - Lone Women. This guy gets it.

I'm about to start The Ferryman by Justin Cronin. The premise is a little simple and familiar, but the cover is hinting there's more to it than just what's alluded to in the blurb. If I'm still punishing myself with each new King book out of some mindless loyalty, then Cronin certainly gets a fair shake.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about to start The Ferryman by Justin Cronin. The premise is a little simple and familiar, but the cover is hinting there's more to it than just what's alluded to in the blurb. If I'm still punishing myself with each new King book out of some mindless loyalty, then Cronin certainly gets a fair shake.
    IT was OK... but VERY predictable.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So far behind in my reading, but now that school is over I'm diving into Fairy Tale - about 1/3 in so far. Enjoying it.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    So far behind in my reading, but now that school is over I'm diving into Fairy Tale - about 1/3 in so far. Enjoying it.
    I liked the initial story with the kid and the old man. Once they go down the rabbit hole, so to speak, I felt like I was reading something I had already read before. King can always keep my attention, but I thought this one was pretty weak.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I’m currently reading (listening to) The Terror. It is my first Dan Simmons. The narrator is top notch, and I love the setting. Such a hopeless anxiety to be trapped in a frozen wasteland. I also just started reading Friday by Heinlein.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I’m currently reading (listening to) The Terror. It is my first Dan Simmons. The narrator is top notch, and I love the setting. Such a hopeless anxiety to be trapped in a frozen wasteland. I also just started reading Friday by Heinlein.
    The Terror is brilliant - not the best by Simmons, but it's up there. My heat still belongs to the Hyperion quartet.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    The Terror is one of my all time favorite books. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for the real men on that journey and similar expeditions. Hope you enjoy it!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Winterset Hollow... what a strange.. well written book. A lot of fun.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone happens to be in Delaware next month, I'm doing a signing on July 8th at Browseabout Books in Rehoboth--come on down!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I finished reading The Strange by Nathan Ballingrud and I'm conflicted by it. I liked the story and the setting but I don't understand why it takes in an alternate past but is set on Mars. Nothing about that played any part in the story.

Annabelle (the protagonist) was really hard to swallow. No one is particularly likeable (not a necessary requirement) but no one is particularly interesting or charismatic (a definite requirement). At best I felt indifference for all of them, at worst I wanted Annabelle to "Fucking Die Already.*" Her big mouth got a lot of people killed but she grew as a person so it's okay, I guess?

Dunno. Maybe I just can't take angsty teens as characters anymore. I felt the same about Zoe's Tale. You know...just stop talking and doing idiotic things for a single chapter, I double dare you.

Edit: I just looked at the Goodreads reviews. It's good to know I'm not alone in my dislike for Annabelle/general misgivings about the book.

*an upper mid-tier Tom Piccirilli story

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I made the mistake of reading S.A. Cosby's book "All the Sinners Bleed" after King wrote a review. The plot is wildly implausible. Like something a teenage Thomas Harris would write after receiving a lobotomy. And page after page is filled with race baiting commentary. Literally every single event is conveyed in the context of race. It was like being forced to watch MSNBC for a week.

Country
    Country Flag

The Groomer by Jon Anthan. I have to say I cannot put this down... even though I am sickened by it. This is HANDS DOWN the most violent, disturbing book I have ever read. I cannot even understand how it was allowed to be printed!! BUT why am I glued to the book? Well its a revenge book... and I am ready for that now. I have never met a villian in any book or movie I wanted revenge on so bad. Its hard to explaine but if you want to read it.. try it. GET by Chapter 3... its hard... REALLY hard (I think thats the one) but when you do you REALLY feel what the author wants you to feel.. you are out for blood as well as the father in the book. I will say no more...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I made the mistake of reading S.A. Cosby's book "All the Sinners Bleed" after King wrote a review. The plot is wildly implausible. Like something a teenage Thomas Harris would write after receiving a lobotomy. And page after page is filled with race baiting commentary. Literally every single event is conveyed in the context of race. It was like being forced to watch MSNBC for a week.
    That must be your privilege talking. (joke)
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Country
    Country Flag

Alastair Reynolds - Eversion
    Bruce Sterling - Gothic High-Tech

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That must be your privilege talking. (joke)
    My favorite scene is when the black Sheriff goes into the woods and encounters an old tree. His first thought is to destroy it because it is old and he therefore associates it with lynchings. I've heard a lot of things called racist but the trees are a new one. I'll never read another of his books.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...the black Sheriff goes into the woods and encounters an old tree. His first thought is to destroy it because it is old and he therefore associates it with lynchings.
    Fantastic! I suppose the tree was "complicit."
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Country
    Country Flag

Alastair Reynolds - Eversion
    Bruce Sterling - Gothic High-Tech
    Reynolds was fantastic, Sterling was a DNF. I read almost half of the stories and tapped out. There's dry and then there's Bruce Sterling dry, yeesh.

I'm still enjoying Dark Forces, and I picked up The Eater of Gods by Dan Franklin when the ebook was on sale for a buck. 15% in and it's pretty good so far.

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I’m nearing the end and I didn’t predict it at all……maybe I’m just slow.
    WANTED:
    Any DT S/L’s #181

Country
    Country Flag

John Crowley - Beasts

Jack McDevitt - Deepsix. Here's what Uncle Steve has to say about McDevitt: "Jack McDevitt is that splendid rarity, a writer who is a storyteller first and a science fiction writer second ... I simply could not put it down. You're going to love it even if you think you don't like science fiction." I can't disagree much with that except I'd say he's both. Think Alastair Reynolds and Greg Bear and you're pretty close. It's the kind of science that makes you go Ah, neat and not whaaaa?

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the anthology Prime Evil. It's neck to neck with Dark Forces as my favourite anthology. My favourites were stories by Barker, Morrell, Liggoti, Straub and Jack Cady. The dissociation scene in Juniper Tree and pretty much every word of "By Reason of Darkness" (Cady) is why I read horror.

I've had this book for 15 years. I don't why it took me this long to read it. I guess it all worked out because now I'm looking up used books by Jack Cady on eBay and definitely will have to read more Straub and Morrell in the future.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I’m nearing the end and I didn’t predict it at all……maybe I’m just slow.
    Yeah, I didn't like the ending but I definitely didn't predict it.

The book eventually had more in common with a certain Ellison book and PKD than Logan's Run. I liked it until the reveal. Oh well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 711 of 714 FirstFirst ... 211 611 661 701 709 710 711 712 713 ... LastLast