Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 435 of 714 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 433 434 435 436 437 445 485 535 ... LastLast
Results 10,851 to 10,875 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I loved The Road, but it was super depressing. I hope you like it.

Starting Winds of War. Not sure what reread this is, but I'm sure it's over 10 by now. I love these books so much!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Road is one of my all time favorite novels, but yes, it is uber depressing.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

This was my first Bachman book and I loved it; I felt like it was King writing exactly like John D. McDonald- one of his idols- and I loved it. It was arguable my favorite book of King's I've read so far up until the last page- I'm still not sure how the ending sits with me but I particularly enjoyed the last 150 pages (it reminded me of a cooler version of Lord of the Flies with similar themes)
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

The Long Walk is one of my favorites as well. I reference it often when working with students on Lord of The Flies projects and now with the Hunger Games being so popular.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I have still yet to read The Long Walk, but hear good things any time it's mentioned on the boards. I need to finally pick it up one day.

About halfway through The Wind Through the Keyhole. Loving it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You need to pick it up ASAP...like immediately.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The Road.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished The Night Circus and I really enjoyed it. Almost finished The Fall of Hyperion. Not sure what to read next?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what it was, but I wasn't really a big fan of The Long Walk.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Blasphemy! Well, not really, but I really like this book. I listened to the audiobook. Maybe that made a difference to hear the different voices of the people in the book. I run every morning and often think I would probably just
    Spoiler:
    fall over and allow myself to get shot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

does anyone think that if bears read A Song of Ice and Fire they will enjoy it? Everyone seems to be reading or to have read it, and then a very dear friend insisted that I should do the same.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    does anyone think that if bears read A Song of Ice and Fire they will enjoy it? Everyone seems to be reading or to have read it, and then a very dear friend insisted that I should do the same.
    Absolutely! Most people that refuse to read it don't do so because high fantasy isn't their bag. I'm of the mind that great storytelling is great storytelling regardless of genre, and this is amazing storytelling. Yes, there are dragons and sorcerers and black magic and what have yous, but they're simply embellishments wrapped around rich, complex characters. You're definitely missing out if you don't at least give this a shot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

perfect! that does it. Will start tomorrow

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

perfect! that does it. Will start tomorrow

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you would appreciate the complexities of the characters. I am not much into fantasy myself (JRR Tolkien being an exception, but mostly what I love about those these authors is that the Stories itself are good, not so much the scenery)
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I forgot to mention I'm also reading Neuromancer by Gibson. I'm 2/3 done. It's a very demanding read that needs full immersion and concentration. I like it a lot.
    Any mention of The Necronomicon in there???
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Absolutely! Most people that refuse to read it don't do so because high fantasy isn't their bag. I'm of the mind that great storytelling is great storytelling regardless of genre, and this is amazing storytelling. Yes, there are dragons and sorcerers and black magic and what have yous, but they're simply embellishments wrapped around rich, complex characters. You're definitely missing out if you don't at least give this a shot.
    Perfectly right! High fantasy REALLY isn't my thing, but story is EVERYTHING to me and this seems to be a great one so far.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

well, to bears, the writing is everything, much more so than the story

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Noooooo! Say it isn't so?

It's well written too.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

well, why do you think Dickens is bears' favorite author ever? His stories suck like nobody's business, but the writing, oh Lord, the writing...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

True, but my love of Dickens is mostly for his characterization.

If you rescue me

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bear, here I'm going to have to disagree with you. If the story isn't appealing, no amount of excellent writing will save it. To me, both are equally important.

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree as far as that goes and personally if I must choose between good writing and good story I'll choose story every time.

If you rescue me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Jean, let me know how you like it. I still keep putting it off.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 435 of 714 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 433 434 435 436 437 445 485 535 ... LastLast