Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 594 of 714 FirstFirst ... 94 494 544 584 592 593 594 595 596 604 644 694 ... LastLast
Results 14,826 to 14,850 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently I'm reading Boy's Life and I have to say it's a wonderfully charming book. Really enjoying it.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am mid-way through Acceptance, the final book in VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. There is a sense of foreboding, a slow build up, but I have to emphasise- SLOW. I was hoping the second book would be redeemed by this, but there is not enough action/movement. Please someone tell me the build up and ending is WORTH it?!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sorry to say it but no. I absolutely loved the first book and would rank it as one of my all-time favorites. But books 2 and 3 were horrible

And I almost started Boy's Life the other day but opted to read Bird Box instead. Has anyone read it? Not too far in yet but so far I'm enjoying it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What are you currently reading?

I finally re-read The Eyes of the Dragon after 29 years. Now I remember why that book got me hooked on King. Really enjoyed the story. Back to the 800+ page biography of Brautigan. Needed a breather from it.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Sorry to say it but no. I absolutely loved the first book and would rank it as one of my all-time favorites. But books 2 and 3 were horrible

And I almost started Boy's Life the other day but opted to read Bird Box instead. Has anyone read it? Not too far in yet but so far I'm enjoying it.
    Oh no! After all this work! Ok, I'll press on quickly, hope for some closure, and hit my Laird Barron novel.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved Bird Box. It's a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading book #4 of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi and man, it is horrible. The first 3 books were great, but Scalzi decided to rewrite book #3 from the perspective of a teenage girl and it just doesn't work at all. It is actually making me retroactively dislike the series, which totally sucks. I'm just praying that after I choke down the rest of this shit sandwich (a.k.a., Zoe's Tale) that book #5 will get the series back on track.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

currently reading Shantaram - it's very good

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Currently I'm reading Boy's Life and I have to say it's a wonderfully charming book. Really enjoying it.
    Loved that book: my #1 McCammon.

sk

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I started reading Sherlock stories and I didn't expect to get hooked. I was wrong. I love the guy.

Roland would have understood.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    ...another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.
    I went through a phase in high school where I must have read 20-30 Agatha Christie novels. I didn't think The Mysterious Affair at Styles was one of the best, but if you like it, be sure and read the follow-up (A Holiday for Murder), which is very good. This book is also known as Murder for Christmas. (Several of her novels were published under different names in the UK and the US.). Perhaps her best mystery is And Then There Were None (also published as Ten Little Indians and Ten Little Niggers). You can't go wrong with that one. I can honestly say the ending/resolution was the biggest "I did NOT see that coming" moment I've ever read from a mystery author.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    ...another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.
    I went through a phase in high school where I must have read 20-30 Agatha Christie novels. I didn't think The Mysterious Affair at Styles was one of the best, but if you like it, be sure and read the follow-up (A Holiday for Murder), which is very good. This book is also known as Murder for Christmas. (Several of her novels were published under different names in the UK and the US.). Perhaps her best mystery is And Then There Were None (also published as Ten Little Indians and Ten Little Niggers). You can't go wrong with that one. I can honestly say the ending/resolution was the biggest "I did NOT see that coming" moment I've ever read from a mystery author.
    Mine was from Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. That was awesome!
    Love Christie!

sk

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Simon Strantzas - Nightingale Songs

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I'm currently reading book #4 of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi and man, it is horrible. The first 3 books were great, but Scalzi decided to rewrite book #3 from the perspective of a teenage girl and it just doesn't work at all. It is actually making me retroactively dislike the series, which totally sucks. I'm just praying that after I choke down the rest of this shit sandwich (a.k.a., Zoe's Tale) that book #5 will get the series back on track.
    Oh man, sorry to hear this. I've read the first three as well and was planning to start the fourth soon.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hahaha, oh no...you're reading Zoe's Tale. I had the lettered of that book and sold it at a fraction of the price just to get it out of the house. I'm content with the original trilogy.

I'm reading Secret Faces by Kealan Patrick Burke. A solid collection of no-nonsense horror stories. Recommended.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished 11/22/63... I will have to say that is going to the top 5 for sure. I thought it was amazing!

Now starting The Fellowship of the Ring.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Hahaha, oh no...you're reading Zoe's Tale. I had the lettered of that book and sold it at a fraction of the price just to get it out of the house. I'm content with the original trilogy.

I'm reading Secret Faces by Kealan Patrick Burke. A solid collection of no-nonsense horror stories. Recommended.
    Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I would get rid of a lettered Zoe's Tale in a heartbeat (unless I owned lettereds of the first 3, I suppose, just to keep the set). I still haven't finished it out of sheer disinterest and it's at 95% complete on my kindle.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Oh man, sorry to hear this. I've read the first three as well and was planning to start the fourth soon.
    Patrick, I'm sorry to drop that on you, but it was driving me nuts and I had to post about it! You could always skip it...

Country
    Country Flag

I have almost finished Book 3 of VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. I persisted because I hoped. And I don't like abandoning after such investment of time.

Boring. Just... boring. I can only conclude that for Stephen King to recommend it, he has lapsed into his recreational substances again.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I am almost finished Book 3 of VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. I persisted because I hoped. And I don't like abandoning after such investment of time.

Boring. Just... boring. I can only conclude that for Stephen King to recommend it, he has lapsed into his recreational substances again.
    I agree. I didn't even bother with the third.

Country
    Country Flag

Rick Hautala - Glimpses
    Tom Piccirilli - Bad Dog

Both brilliant writers, both gone too soon...

Country
    Country Flag

Rick Hautala - Glimpses
    Tom Piccirilli - Bad Dog

Both brilliant writers, both gone too soon...
    Been meaning to read both of these authors. Heard good things.

I just finished the final book of the Southern Reach trilogy (VanderMeer). I kept going after book one (which was quite good) out of hope but both book two and three were so boring that I would have rather had my scrotum punctured on a barbed wire fence. I'll bet big money that when King recommended it, he hadn't read part 2 and 3.

Country
    Country Flag

Piccirilli dabbled in many styles so it's probably best to research the book you're planning on buying...just so you don't get a book of poetry if you wanted horror or noir.

Hautala IMO is pretty similar to King, though I dare say with a touch of vintage Bradbury and Charles Grant. He was also from Maine so at times it might seem like you're reading a different story playing out in the same little towns King wrote about. Glimpses is his Best Of collection (+ a few never-before-collected stories) and along with Four Octobers, a fine introduction.

Country
    Country Flag

Piccirilli dabbled in many styles so it's probably best to research the book you're planning on buying...just so you don't get a book of poetry if you wanted horror or noir.

Hautala IMO is pretty similar to King, though I dare say with a touch of vintage Bradbury and Charles Grant. He was also from Maine so at times it might seem like you're reading a different story playing out in the same little towns King wrote about. Glimpses is his Best Of collection (+ a few never-before-collected stories) and along with Four Octobers, a fine introduction.
    Awesome, I love Grant and Bradbury. I just grabbed a copy of Glimpses - sounds exactly what I'm into. Thanks!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My current delemma, I have been rereading/listening to The Twelve so I can read City of Mirrors. I finished listening to The Twelve tonight. I have an ARC of The City of Mirrors ready to read. I am reading the paperback of Mr. Mercedes in order to be ready for the final book. Do I stop reading Mr. Mercedes to pick up Mirrors? Or do I switch to audiobook of Mr. Mercedes so I can read Mirrors? Or do I keep reading Mr. Mercedes and wait to read Mirrors until I finish the Hodges trilogy? Urg. I also want to read The Fireman in the middle of all of this.

Oh, and I have to show up to work every day also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 594 of 714 FirstFirst ... 94 494 544 584 592 593 594 595 596 604 644 694 ... LastLast