Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 385 of 714 FirstFirst ... 285 335 375 383 384 385 386 387 395 435 485 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hehe, I think I should be getting royalties or something!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Gotham, I had emailed Mr. Wallace in order to thank him for this amazing book, to ask why he decided to end the second volume at 1945, and also inquire as to a possible third volume. He just emailed back:

thanks for your note. i thought about trying to get the whole 20th century between one set of hardcovers but given the perhaps lunatic comprehensiveness of my approach, and the spectacular centrality of nyc to innumerable issues in that century, it proved impossible. 45 is also crucial as it marks, i will argue, the final arrival of the city at the terminus of its trajectory from the edge to center of the world. there will -- assuming sufficient longevity -- be a volume three, carrying the story on down to the day after tomorrow. best, mw.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished Dance with Dragons but haven't ventured into the thread to catch up on everyone's opinions and don't really have the energy to say how I feel about it, other than I thought it was pretty good but was generally underwhelmed. I dunno.

I also just read this book called One Day, apparently a movie version is coming out soon with Anne Hathaway. Anyway someone suggested it to me and the ending was horrible and I'm annoyed I even read it. SO. I need something great to read now.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Country
    Country Flag

Read almost half of this in my local Barnes & Noble. Was just browsing, and started reading, thinking just to get the gist of it, and couldn't stop. Couple of hours later, thoroughly shaken, I had to leave. Maybe will pick it up as it drops in price. Good companion to The Looming Tower and The Longest War.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Tempis, have you read any Patrick Rothfuss? If you're a fan of fantasy, I highly, highly recommend it. He's only written two books so far, The Name Of The Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear...both of which are a part of his The Kingkiller Chronicles series.

The Name Of The Wind was his first novel, and after reading it, Rothfuss immediately shot up to my top three all-time favorite authors. I'm a huge fantasy fan, so that's very high praise, coming from me.

The story, characters, and writing style are absolutely brilliant. If you haven't read it, enjoy fantasy, and are looking for something new, definitely give it a go.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am reading "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my less favorite King books.

John

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SigTauGimp View Post
    Tempis, have you read any Patrick Rothfuss? If you're a fan of fantasy, I highly, highly recommend it. He's only written two books so far, The Name Of The Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear...both of which are a part of his The Kingkiller Chronicles series.

The Name Of The Wind was his first novel, and after reading it, Rothfuss immediately shot up to my top three all-time favorite authors. I'm a huge fantasy fan, so that's very high praise, coming from me.

The story, characters, and writing style are absolutely brilliant. If you haven't read it, enjoy fantasy, and are looking for something new, definitely give it a go.
    I agree completely with this. I wish he wrote faster, though. haha.

I am reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I am not far into it yet, but it is pretty good so far.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished up GoT, and starting CoK. I will admit, the first half of Game had me nearly bored to tears, but it did get better as it went along. I was hooked by the end, hence me immediately picking up Clash.

And I totally agree, 0chris0...but I'm sure that's part of what makes his writing soo great. That extended (to us, agonizing) wait between books definitely gives him ample time to polish his stories to what we know and love.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    my condolences

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SigTauGimp View Post
    Just finished up GoT, and starting CoK. I will admit, the first half of Game had me nearly bored to tears, but it did get better as it went along. I was hooked by the end, hence me immediately picking up Clash.

And I totally agree, 0chris0...but I'm sure that's part of what makes his writing soo great. That extended (to us, agonizing) wait between books definitely gives him ample time to polish his stories to what we know and love.
    I have heard some interviews with him where he talks about the crazy amount of editing he constantly does.

Do you read his blog? It is pretty entertaining, as is liking his facebook page.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading Ready Player One and currently think anyone that grew up in the 80's or that is the slightest bit geeky has to read this book right now!

Country
    Country Flag

Ruthful, that looks interesting. I myself have read about half of Richard J. Evans's Third Reich Trilogy, but haven't gotten to the war years yet. Fascinating. Speaking of Russia (and maybe Jean can chime in here), with this year being the 20th anniversary of the collapse of the Soviet Union, I was looking for some definitive account, but after spending quite some time on Amazon, there doesn't seem to be anything substantial on the subject, at least nothing serious and comprehensive. Is there really nothing like that?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    One of my less favorite King books.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    my condolences

Actually it is one of my favorite SK books. Definitely in my to ten.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    my condolences
    Indeed!

All you ASOIAF people: Get in the thread! I've been wanting to talk about it since I finished and nobody's posting.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Too everyone who does not like "Lisey's Story"

Spoiler:

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's one of my top ten too Pixie

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have Lisey's Story sitting on a shelf at home, but I have absolutely no desire to read it. This makes me feel bad because it was a gift

Gunslinger Apprentice Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about

William Shakespear's "Coriolanus" - reading that before the movie comes out, and absolutely loving it.

I've also spent the last several re-reading the DT books for the second time (first time was when the last three books were originally released - never bought them at the time, just spent hours on my days off reading them in the bookstore). I'm reading them on Kindle this time, so it's hard to tell where I'm at. I'm about to read "Gran-Pere's Tale" when Eddie talks with Tian Jaffords grandfather.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently halfway through Vol.3 of "A History of Britain" by Simon Schama.

Then onto either The Talisman or Debunking 9/11 debunking (strange title!) by David Ray Griffin.

Can't decide!

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am now reading "Duma Key" by Stephen King.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm slowly reading my proof of 11/22/63 and also reading McCammon's The Five.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 385 of 714 FirstFirst ... 285 335 375 383 384 385 386 387 395 435 485 ... LastLast