Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 618 of 714 FirstFirst ... 118 518 568 608 616 617 618 619 620 628 668 ... LastLast
Results 15,426 to 15,450 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    a whiny teenager whose arrogance was only outstripped by his ignorance (The Catcher In The Rye).
    ++++++++++
    Catcher In The Rye is my second favourite novel. I've read it four times. The only book I love more is Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, and both books bear a lot of parallels. To me, Catch In The Rye is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I could write paragraph after paragraph on it lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    But Pride and Prejudice? No way.
    I liked Pride and Prejudice. It was funny.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

love Pride and Prejudice, and everything else by Austen

have read The Catcher many times too; it being wonderfully written doesn't contradict what St.Troy said

(Mattrick, LOL! we're bound to repeat this same dialog every ten years or so)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

love Pride and Prejudice, and everything else by Austen

have read The Catcher many times too; it being wonderfully written doesn't contradict what St.Troy said

(Mattrick, LOL! we're bound to repeat this same dialog every ten years or so)
    I didn't think Holden was ignorant though. In many ways, he's far too intelligent for someone his age, which is why he's so whiny and miserable. Arrogant, sure, I'll buy that, but that's more a defense mechanism than anything. And besides, thinking you know everything is a hallmark of youth. Most kids are arrogant.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I wonder if Holden was the first appearance (in fiction) of the cliched sullen teen for whom the world always falls short:
    "The adults - they just don't get it." How adorable!
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

“All morons hate it when you call them a moron.”

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

“I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and was thoroughly impressed with it. Several references to The Stand are made throughout.

Next up, The Man Without a Shadow by Joyce Carol Oates.

Gunslinger Apprentice kaufen is on a distinguished road

I love Dickens. He was quite a storyteller. I'm sure you know that he released Bleak House as a serial somewhat like The Green Mile.
    Last edited by kaufen; 06-12-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I guess there are a lot of classics that most people hate. I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated?
    quite

Getting through The Scarlett Letter was excruciating, and I found Wuthering Heights ridiculous. Think I like most of the other stuff I've read, though; definitely adore Jane Eyre - don't know if it is considered a classic, however.
    Jane Eyre is one of those classics that I ended up enjoying way more than I expected going into it. I've not read anything else by Charlotte Bronte though.
    The Scarlett letter was excriciating.

does anyone think bears might enjoy Finders Keepers and/or End of Watch? I moderately enjoyed Revival (until the big revelation, which was a huuuuuge letdown) and never could get past the first fifty or so pages of Mr.Mercedes (the present tense was killing me, among other annoying things)
    I guess I'm one of those people that, even if a King book isn't amazing, I still enjoy reading it because it's comforting to read anything King. With that said, if you couldn't get through Mr. Mercedes, you may not enjoy Finders Keepers. I can't speak for End of Watch though, since I've been saving it on my shelf for a while.
    And I've gotta agree with you about the ending of Revival. That was one of the most disappointing endings ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

I've read Scarlet Letter three times...about to read it a fourth for school. It's one of my favourites. Wuthering Heights I actually like more than Jane Eyre out of the Bronte Sisters books. Wuthering Heights is just so dark and twisted.
    Why?!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Already finished The Old Man and the Sea. I loved it. Probably gonna start up Moby Dick next. The Scarlet Letter and The Grapes of Wrath are also on tap for upcoming reads.

Moby Dick is easily one the best books I've ever read. It was a failure upon publication and only achieved classic status after Melville's death. Sad.

The Grapes of Wraith is a spectacular read as well.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even if you end up not enjoying King's writing style in Finder's Keepers, you will enjoy the plot and the story's overall focus on the importance and power of reading and books.

Theli, The Grapes of Wrath! That's another one that felt like a punishment. In 9th grade we could either choose between Of Mice and Men or, if we wanted extra credit, The Grapes of Wrath (since it is much, much longer). I chose The Grapes of Wrath and endured Steinbeck spending pages writing about a turtle crossing the road.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read Steinbeck before though and love his style. You never know if you picked it up now you might like it more.

Melville I've never read, and I'll be reading Moby Dick with an open mind.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Theli, The Grapes of Wrath! That's another one that felt like a punishment. In 9th grade we could either choose between Of Mice and Men or, if we wanted extra credit, The Grapes of Wrath (since it is much, much longer). I chose The Grapes of Wrath and endured Steinbeck spending pages writing about a turtle crossing the road.
    The Turtle is a celebrated passage. I haven't even read Grapes of Wrath yet but I've read The Turtle. Steinbeck is a beast. Only thing from him I've read I wasn't a fan of was The Moon Is Down, and it started and ended great, but the middle was missing something. East of Eden is one of the greatest novels ever written. Cannery Row was funny and heartbreaking. Of Mice and Men is a classic. The Red Pony was solid.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

I've read Scarlet Letter three times...about to read it a fourth for school. It's one of my favourites. Wuthering Heights I actually like more than Jane Eyre out of the Bronte Sisters books. Wuthering Heights is just so dark and twisted.
    Why?!
    Because the imagery is beautiful, the characters are solid, the themes are heavy, the content is dark, and I have a deep appreciation for novels which were so psychologically accurate before psychology was even a science. And the puritan time period is fascinating to me. I'm actually looking forward to reading it again. It's got pretty much everything I like in a novel.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Tim Lebbon - Desolation. A Leisure paperback, before the media tie-ins, before novelizations, before urban fantasy. Lebbon at his best.
    Harry Harrison - Deathworld

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

American Gods. Neil Gamain
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

does anyone think bears might enjoy Finders Keepers and/or End of Watch? I moderately enjoyed Revival (until the big revelation, which was a huuuuuge letdown) and never could get past the first fifty or so pages of Mr.Mercedes (the present tense was killing me, among other annoying things)
    I absolutely loved Revival, well up until the end like you. I didn't care for either Mr. Mercedes or Finders Keepers. Actually I can't even remember anything about the latter, that's how much of an impact it made on me... And I have zero desire to read the last one.

But Pride and Prejudice? No way.
    I love Jane Austen, but I will admit, I didn't really care for that one. I don't know how that one became the popular one, because she has much better books. Basically every book she's written is superior to Pride & Prejudice.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think my personal favorite is Northanger Abbey

Country
    Country Flag

have only just found out that there's also a collection (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams) that I missed

what are everyone's impressions? I'll probably try this one if I can find it

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    American Gods. Neil Gamain
    such a great book. I cant wait for the tv adaptation
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think my personal favorite is Northanger Abbey
    That one and Persuasion are my favorites. Followed by Mansfield Park and Sense & Sensibility.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have only just found out that there's also a collection (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams) that I missed

It's King's short fiction, he always nails it, in my opinion, and this one has some great straight fiction pieces like Batman and Robin Have an Altercation.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the shorts I'd read from it, though admittedly I have not read the full thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 618 of 714 FirstFirst ... 118 518 568 608 616 617 618 619 620 628 668 ... LastLast