Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 299 of 714 FirstFirst ... 199 249 289 297 298 299 300 301 309 349 399 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but I hated the seventh book in the Harry Potter series aside from the last third or so. Before that, I just found it boring. Every other second of every other book, though, is just fantastic. Rowling knows how to write a goddamn book
    You're not alone.

I haven't read the Dune books (although I have the first three installments), but I have seen the two miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. I'm not entirely sure, having seen those, that I'll like the Dune books, but I intend to read them at some point, so I HOPE I do like them....

(And you read them in Spanish? Why?)
    I have been trying to learn spanish for many years. I have a very large vocabulary in spanish, but still can't seem to communicate like a native speaker. There are many subtle nuances to language that are very difficult to pick up on, unless you immerse yourself in the language. Since immersing myself in the spoken language (i.e. moving to a completely spanish speaking environment) is impracticle for me, The next best thing is to read books in spanish. I chose the Harry Potter books because they are on a teen level, thus they are not too simple, and not too difficult. It is a good way to perfect a second language.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but I hated the seventh book in the Harry Potter series aside from the last third or so. Before that, I just found it boring. Every other second of every other book, though, is just fantastic. Rowling knows how to write a goddamn book
    You're not alone.

I haven't read the Dune books (although I have the first three installments), but I have seen the two miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. I'm not entirely sure, having seen those, that I'll like the Dune books, but I intend to read them at some point, so I HOPE I do like them....

I have been trying to learn spanish for many years. I have a very large vocabulary in spanish, but still can't seem to communicate like a native speaker. There are many subtle nuances to language that are very difficult to pick up on, unless you immerse yourself in the language. Since immersing myself in the spoken language (i.e. moving to a completely spanish speaking environment) is impracticle for me, The next best thing is to read books in spanish. I chose the Harry Potter books because they are on a teen level, thus they are not too simple, and not too difficult. It is a good way to perfect a second language.
    Amigo!! Si el castellano (en mi lengua, al decir Español te refieres castellano hablado con acento de España) es bastante fácil!!!! El ingles es el bizarro, se escriben muchas palabras con un orden distinto al significado, por ejemplo, Harry's snitch, que significa, la snitch de Harry, como ves, al revés!!!!!

Anyway.... Starting Lisey's Story... otro ejemplo!: La Historia de Lisey...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    dude, I used to think nothing was better than the whole DT series, but this series is. I'm still SK>Martin, but it's becoming a close thing.

speaking of which, anyone here read Fevre Dream yet?
    Yes, and Feev will back me up on this...it is excellent.

I'm reading The Brains Of Rats by Michael Blumlein.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    dude, I used to think nothing was better than the whole DT series, but this series is. I'm still SK>Martin, but it's becoming a close thing.

speaking of which, anyone here read Fevre Dream yet?
    Yes, and Feev will back me up on this...it is excellent.

I'm reading The Brains Of Rats by Michael Blumlein.
    I'll head to the book store in a minute.

I also ordered Warriors about 3 days ago, I hope I get it by friday. It has the third and newest novella in the Tales of Dunk and Egg series prequel to the ASOIAF series. These are really getting me throught the waiting for Dance.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Reading A Scanner, Darkly by Philip K. Dick.

I hate that I relate to this book so much, but it also makes it fascinating. The reason I hate relating to it is that it's full of bottom feeding drug addict scum that are very similar to people I've had to deal with over the years. Great book so far anyway, especially if you are familiar with the American counter-culture.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started reading Horns by Joe Hill. Pretty good so far.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

SS, ignore the hype and just go read the hitchhiker's guide.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It's really that good? Another thing that puts me off is how many children enjoy it, and the fact that it's labeled a "teen" book. I usually end up destroying or throwing away "teen" books after I finish reading them. They're so offensive! They use horribly small vernacular and act like teenagers are mindless drones who are forced to read and do not read of their own free will.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    You guys are crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I am almost finished with the third book of ASOIAF. When I am done, I am going to finish Winds of War and then tackle War and Remembrance. I miss Natalie and Byron.
    I'm glad I was able to push my love of those books onto you. ...
    Hey, BTW, JB; thanks so much for also pushing your love of them onto me!
    Really? The War books, or the Song books?
    lol, I'm not surprised that you don't remember; it's been a couple years since you recommended War and Remembrance to me. (back on tdt.net! ) I'm only now starting it; just recently finished Winds of War. Great stuff, anyhow. Thankee-sai.
    It's really that good? Another thing that puts me off is how many children enjoy it, and the fact that it's labeled a "teen" book. I usually end up destroying or throwing away "teen" books after I finish reading them. They're so offensive! They use horribly small vernacular and act like teenagers are mindless drones who are forced to read and do not read of their own free will.
    They're not like that at all. Definitely pleasant to read, and yes, good. For all ages, though they especially appeal to the rebellious spirit.
    It's five books long, actually. Only the first one is titled HHGttG. And yes, they are science fiction which is basically fantasy. Just futuristic fantasy
    1. They're more fantasy than science fiction, IMO... kind of. Actually, they're satire. Comedy. Pro-scientific, perhaps... or not. Anyway, it's not the point, and they're not really like straight fantasy or sci-fi in category.
    2. Five books or not, it isn't a series. It's a trilogy.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

You guys are crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I am almost finished with the third book of ASOIAF. When I am done, I am going to finish Winds of War and then tackle War and Remembrance. I miss Natalie and Byron.
    I'm glad I was able to push my love of those books onto you. ...
    Hey, BTW, JB; thanks so much for also pushing your love of them onto me!
    Really? The War books, or the Song books?
    lol, I'm not surprised that you don't remember; it's been a couple years since you recommended War and Remembrance to me. (back on tdt.net! ) I'm only now starting it; just recently finished Winds of War. Great stuff, anyhow. Thankee-sai.
    The War books are 2 of my favorite books ever! I've been pushing them on people for years, so sorry I didn't remember. I try to get EVERYONE to read them.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely that good...and definitely not children's or teen's books though they can of course be read and enjoyed by them (It is when I met them first). Just read them my friend. I'll be awaiting your thanks when you're done.

Oh, and path is right...definitely not a series...just an overzealous trilogy.

I'm currently reading (along with everything else) Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions:The Democracy Of Two Set Out And Chronologically Arranged. If House Of Leaves wasn't confusing and fucked up enough for you well, this is your book.

If you rescue me

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I started reading "Just After Sunset", but I got so bored I gave up.

I wonder if it's timed to give it another try?
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I love Chelsea Handler, she's super funny.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Just got the ARC for the brand new, soon-to-be-released Linda Castillo book Pray For Silence ... the sequel to Sworn To Silence ... featuring Police Chief Kate Burkholder.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and am liking it a lot.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hitchhiker's Guide really shouldn't be labelled a teen book, I mean there's nothing gratuitous in there that teens couldn't read, but Douglas Adams wrote it for adults.

It would be nice if you hadn't heard any hype, because I don't think you should expect too much from his books. They are very funny, especially if you enjoy/appreciate British humour, because Adams is a master of sarcasm and understatement, but you know, he wasn't trying to write an epic - they're just really good,easy reading.

If you like his style and want something slightly darker, his Dirk Gently books are fantastic.

And, sorry can't remember who mentioned having it on their "to read" pile, but Fevre Dream is completely excellent

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too strongly recommend the first Hitchhiker's book. I read it earlier this year and it is a fun read.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Chelsea Handler, she's super funny.
    Super-duper.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dagavidiab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    You're not alone.

Amigo!! Si el castellano (en mi lengua, al decir Español te refieres castellano hablado con acento de España) es bastante fácil!!!! El ingles es el bizarro, se escriben muchas palabras con un orden distinto al significado, por ejemplo, Harry's snitch, que significa, la snitch de Harry, como ves, al revés!!!!!

Anyway.... Starting Lisey's Story... otro ejemplo!: La Historia de Lisey...
    Yo concuerdo. El Ingles es mas dificil que el Espanol. El Espanol tiene reglas sobre pronunciacion y un vocabulario limitado. El Ingles tiene muchas palabras con el significado mismo.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy

Nope, spanish also has words that have many uses. Such as the word fuck in English.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCcCzj_yRtk"]YouTube- The 'F' Word[/ame]

That being shown, almost done with my reread of ASOIAF. Angelology is starting very slow.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I fucking love that fucking fuck video.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Breezy

fuck yeah! me too!

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

That is Fucking Awesome!
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John Blaze, there is no fucking word in Spanish that has the variety of uses as the "F" word... Plus that, in english exist a lot of words with the same pronunciation!

En conclusion, Castellano para el mundo!!

PS: cool video (cool is still a "cool" word in english?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 299 of 714 FirstFirst ... 199 249 289 297 298 299 300 301 309 349 399 ... LastLast