Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 714 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 237 238 239 240 241 249 289 339 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I am reading Phantom of the Opera.
    Has anyone read it?
    I became a big fan after I had seen it in the theatre so I am really excited.
    if you mean the one by Gaston Leroux (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra), I read it in French many years ago; I rather liked it.
    Are there more??
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about.
    You are really lucky that you could read it in French.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    finished my The Stand reread, moving on to Carrie, i love Carrie.
    Wow, that was quick. I think it took me about 4 months just to get about halfway thru.
    i read alot.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I've never read Skeleton Crew ...
    READ IT! READ IT NOW!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    READ IT! READ IT NOW!
    read - its good, but not special.

Just finished my 'book of lost things' it was good and i would recomend it, it seemed to have lots of Roland and dark tower reference or it may have been that i see DT references everywhere now

i have now started a little book called Utopia

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

doing a re-read of the DT Series..finished DOTT and starting the wastelands. also finished book by Anne McCaffery and her son Todd called Dragon Harper of Pern...its very interesting and deals with a pandemic flu going around the planet of Pern...sound familiar?

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

Rereading Eragon by Christopher Paolini for the 7th time right now. Gonna reread Eldest and Brisingr after as well. Fantastic books.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rereading Terry Pratchett's Thud!. I love it, because it's funny and somehow solemn at the same time. Quite different from his other Discworld books, imo. Samuel Vimes

I really, really dread the day when Pratchett loses his battle against Alzheimer's.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    READ IT! READ IT NOW!
    Ah hell, you convinced me, just like that

I promised my friend I'd read one of her books right after I finished Order of the Phoenix ... but what momma don't know, can't hurt her

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

have you read anymore of OotP?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I'm on page..... 524

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to be starting Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath either tonight or tomorrow.

John

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading "Dawn." It's Phil Elverum's (from The Microphones and Mount Eerie, some of my favorite music ever) winter diary from time spent in self-imposed exile in a cabin in Denmark. An amazing look into his mind and also into how a person finds themselves in locations not expected. The book itself is incredible - it's bound in faux birch (feels real!), comes with a set of photos, a 19 song CD, and a nice little obi to keep it all snazzy.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    Rereading Eragon by Christopher Paolini for the 7th time right now. Gonna reread Eldest and Brisingr after as well. Fantastic books.
    Hold on - fantastic books?? If by fantastic you mean derivative, devoid of any real literary merit, and general pabulum, then I agree. Paolini has managed to parlay a history of plagiarism into a career. Tolkein, Lucas, and a couple other guys all rub elbows in the horrific pages of what he calls a "book." Quotes are needed since they only make great kindling for camping in my mind.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Whoa Fruno, tell us how you really feel.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, you have only scratched the surface of my seething literary hatred.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    finished my reread of the Lonesome Dove series, I'd forgotten Woodrow pisses me off.......
    That is such a great book!

Just finished a reread of LSOE.

Currently reading, for the first time finally, SKELETON CREW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    For the first time!!?? How did that happen? You'll really enjoy it, Patrick!

John
    I KNOW! It took the purchase of the S/L for me to finally decide to move this up on the list. I'm a fan of good short stories and this is fitting the bill.

There are still plenty of other King books, some of which I own, that I have not yet read.

finished my reread of the Lonesome Dove series, I'd forgotten Woodrow pisses me off.......
    That is such a great book series!
    fixed it for you.
    Thanks, John. I read it straight through and I still think of the cohesive story as one long book.

Based on my current first time read: Get on it, man!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Based on my current first time read: Get on it, man!
    Ditto, Patrick! The Jaunt somehow haunted me when I was young. I reread Skeleton Crew recently and enjoyed it. Go for it, Feev!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

There are still plenty of other King books, some of which I own, that I have not yet read.

Get busy dude! If you start now, then you can finish them all this year.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Skeleton Crew was my first king book when I was but a wee lad. Fucking love that book! Glad you had time to read it and like it, Patrick.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Brave New World.

Spoiler:
    I really liked the contrast between this and 1984, in that Orwell had sex totally suppressed while Huxley used sexual freedom as social control. Very cool. I'm wondering which would work better in practice....

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post

Spoiler:
    I really liked the contrast between this and 1984, in that Orwell had sex totally suppressed while Huxley used sexual freedom as social control. Very cool. I'm wondering which would work better in practice....

Basically both combined. Keep people confused.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    Hold on - fantastic books?? If by fantastic you mean derivative, devoid of any real literary merit, and general pabulum, then I agree. Paolini has managed to parlay a history of plagiarism into a career. Tolkein, Lucas, and a couple other guys all rub elbows in the horrific pages of what he calls a "book." Quotes are needed since they only make great kindling for camping in my mind.
    Lol I knew I'd get a rise out of someone.

By fantastic books I mean a series of books in which I have engrossed myself in fully and have enjoyed thoroughly.

Spoiler:
    This is a wonderful book.

Spoiler:
    What I most enjoyed through this book was Bernard's constant struggle to fit in and how even though he never really does, he still gets a happy ending. My one favorite part of the book was when the reporter at the end tells John "Pain is a delusion." to which John replies "Oh is it?" as he grabs a switch and strolls toward the reporter.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Spoiler:

Basically both combined. Keep people confused.
    Neither, as the practice has shown. People are nothing as described in either of those books. They are just - you know, people, not different from those live in "freer" societies. That's the main reason why totalitarian models never work for long: they need different people, and have to do with the same old material that constantly fails them.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Class "A" writing!!! This book could have easily been dull, but F. Scott just sucks the reader in, over and over!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 239 of 714 FirstFirst ... 139 189 229 237 238 239 240 241 249 289 339 ... LastLast