Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 714 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 274 324 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I have just finished "Flowers for Algernon".
    It's not easy to stop crying.
    I'll be back as soon as I have pulled myself together.

Read this book if you can.

Flowers For Algernon is about Charlie Gordon, who starts the story with an IQ of 68. Then he undergoes an experimental operation that increases his IQ to genius level.

Roland would have understood.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I read that book when it was in Jr. High. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember feeling genuinely moved after having finished it. I think I'll read it again later during the year

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    Ooh, Rick Hautala is partly a Finn. It might amuse you to hear 'hauta' means 'grave' in Finnish - quite fitting for a horror writer, isn't it? I've read 'Cold Whisper' by him, quite enjoyable!
    Yes it is!!! Cold Whisper huh! I will have to try and find that one, Is it a book or a short story?

Gunslinger Apprentice The King of Kings is on a distinguished road

I just finished the first book of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I'm getting ready to start on the 2nd one. I'm gonna finish it and I might go to the third one and then I'm gonna read the Stand.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Oh no, no! I still can't get over Blaze! Too much is too much for an old bear.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler jonbocop is on a distinguished road jonbocop's Avatar

I just finished the Gunslinger Born Comic Book (I don't know if that counts as reading). Also, I just started Run With The Hunted, a charles bukowski reader.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Flowers For Algernon is about Charlie Gordon, who starts the story with an IQ of 68. Then he undergoes an experimental operation that increases his IQ to genius level.
    what's funny is that the HORRIBLE movie the lawnmower man always kind of reminded me of this book.

you're right, letti, it is definitely a tear jerker.

Traveler jonbocop is on a distinguished road jonbocop's Avatar

Wasn't that book about a mouse that started a restaurant?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just read through the sample pages of "Flowers for Algernon" on Amazon and one thing that's a bit jarring to me is the artificial and inconsistent way of the misspellings at the beginning of the novel. It just seemed implausible that the character would spell certain simple words wrong but then spell more complex words correctly. Perhaps doing this more consistently would render the text nearly unreadable, but it just struck me as inauthentic, sorry. Though I'm sure it's a great novel, it looks like it is, so I may give it a try later.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, you won't regret it!

John

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I just read through the sample pages of "Flowers for Algernon" on Amazon and one thing that's a bit jarring to me is the artificial and inconsistent way of the misspellings at the beginning of the novel. It just seemed implausible that the character would spell certain simple words wrong but then spell more complex words correctly. Perhaps doing this more consistently would render the text nearly unreadable, but it just struck me as inauthentic, sorry. Though I'm sure it's a great novel, it looks like it is, so I may give it a try later.
    You can be right.
    I am sure it must have been very hard for the author to write this book. Once he had to write like a moron (his word) and later like a genius with very high I.Q. For me the genius part was a bit more simple than I had expected but I must say the book is still more than wonderful and amazing.
    Anyway the boy who writes the report goes to special school to be able to spell so it can be okay that he makes horrible mistakes but time to time he can write down harder words well.

Roland would have understood.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I just started The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. He's pretty great.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    Ooh, Rick Hautala is partly a Finn. It might amuse you to hear 'hauta' means 'grave' in Finnish - quite fitting for a horror writer, isn't it? I've read 'Cold Whisper' by him, quite enjoyable!
    Yes it is!!! Cold Whisper huh! I will have to try and find that one, Is it a book or a short story?
    It's a book, worth of trying! Let me know if you read it and what you thought about it.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    It's a book, worth of trying! Let me know if you read it and what you thought about it.
    I looked for it on Cemetery Dance, but sadly it is out of print. Still looking though. Maybe I will get lucky.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    I just started The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. He's pretty great.
    I liked that one a lot. Have yet to read any other Chabon.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am starting my reread of the DT series and related books based on the order that was suggested by John and Yoko in the "The best order of reading" thread.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...t=order+series

So, I am currently reading The Gunslinger.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have only about 20 pages left in what might possibly be one of the best three books I have ever picked up. And that includes anything King has written. And for me to say that is a grand thing, as SK is my all time favorite writer and all of his books are in my top "10". until now.
    I am by no means a fan of anything non-fiction, for the most part. They tend to bore me. But my neighbor lent me a book that he thought might mean something to me, and in fact it did.

You guys have GOT to check this one out.

The title is LONE SURVIVOR by Marcus Luttrell. He is a Navy SEAL and this is a first hand account of a special ops mission he was on, and the SEAL training he went through to get him there. He, along with his closest three comrades (SEAL team 10) are dropped in the middle of Taliban country in the mountains of Afghanistan. They face insurmountable odds and as you might discern from the title, he is the only one to make it out alive. Rescue teams are subsequently massacred, and the toll in American lives totals 19, of which he is the only one to make it out. It sends chills up my spine to read it, and I was captivated unlike any other book I have ever picked up before. I won't give the story away, but I strongly urge any living, breathing person who reads this post to either get this book or check it out at the library.
    I will be buying my own copy along with two more copies to mail out. One for my brother-in-law, and one for my cousin, both Iraq conflict veterans who engaged their opposition first-hand, and carry anguish and nightmares to this day because of what they saw and endured.
    I was never a strong supporter for the way we went in Iraq, but I will say until my last breath that this book puts a new perspective on the conflicts in Afghanistan for me, and a deep respect for what those soldiers have to deal with. He also portays the Afghani people in a very favorable and appreciative light. It was the peace-loving compassion for human life by the good percentage of those people that saved his life, and he talks as highly about them as he does his own SEAL team members. And he makes sure that everyone who reads it knows that it is the Taliban we are fighting, not the honest and empathetic Afghani tribesmen as a unit. Compelling and captivating until the end, this book is an awesome work.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks and planned to read the final book in the trilogy Beyond The Shadows by the same author.
    My plan as changed,i was in the attic making a bit of room for more items that will come in handy in the future when i came across a box marked books.
    Well i had to have a look,the first book i picked up was The Stand the complete and uncut edition.I cast my flash light (still not got around to putting up a light ) on THE CIRCLE OPENS and the next thing you know an hour has passed and no cleaning done.I"m hooked cant put the book down and it must be my ? reread how does SK draw you in.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading Salem's Lot for the first time.
    Blasphemy, i know. It's just as good as I knew it would be, and it looks to get even better.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

well at least you've seen the error of your ways, alisha, and are diligently working to correct the problem.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alisha, I have a confession.. I haven't read it yet either (where can I find even smaller font?).

Seems that I can't concentrate on just one book right now. The High King (Chronicles of Prydain, to feed my fantasy imagery of Wales - going there within 19 (!!) days), Duma Key, Wolves of Calla, and I suspect there's yet a few other books somewhere as well. Eek.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

that is all lily.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I've wanted to read it for so fucking long, but i've only just gotten 'round to it. I'm enjoying it amazingly, though.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 714 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 226 234 274 324 ... LastLast