Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 664 of 713 FirstFirst ... 164 564 614 654 662 663 664 665 666 674 ... LastLast
Results 16,576 to 16,600 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm halfway through the final volume of collected PKD, titled We Can Remember It for You Wholesale. Title story was the basis for the movie(s) Total Recall. There are so many alternate realities, Mars colonies and just so much goddamned paranoia, I thought I should give myself a break because all those stories were starting to blend.

I picked up Fright or Flight and after a few choice tales, I'm ready to finish PKD. I was, of course, mostly interested in King's and Hill's contributions. King's was some phoned in bs, Hill's was phenomenal and just more proof he's best at short form. At this point, he could easily ghost-write for his old man and no one would be the wiser. I had already read Matheson, Schow and Bierce.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I really like Joe's short stories. And Strange Weather was great. Looking forward to Full Throttle.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Halfway thru the Day of the Jackal. Good stuff. I learned while reading it that the Belgians are the best at forging documents, apparently. I wanna be known for something cool now

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished "Gone South" by Robert Mccammon. I thought it was great! Fast paced with a good ending! Not much more you can ask for. On to "Mine" by Mccammon next.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Poems by Tim Powers yesterday. There's a whole section of poetry from Three Days to Never. Blah. I don't think my time was wasted though my money might've been.

Reading Approaching Oblivion by Ellison.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently finished One Year After by William Forstchen.

Pretty much as good as the first in the series (One Second After), decent story etc.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started The Final Day, the 3rd (and...final) book in William Forstchen's EMP trilogy.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

castle roogna Piers Anthony i just have i think 2 or 3 chapters left

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished The Final Day, wrapping up William Forstchen's EMP trilogy.

Where the trilogy's first book (One Second After) is mostly concerned with the decline (violence, starvation, death, reorganization of society), books 2 and 3 (One Year After and The Final Day) address what happens when the main group of characters are caught up in the efforts of a questionable federal government trying to reconstitute the nation.

Overall, an interesting and entertaining trilogy, although not necessarily one I'd recommend to anyone not specifically interested in the aftermath of an EMP. It is not a Clancy-esque read, as it is based on the notion that it's already too late for the likes of Jack Ryan to save the day; it's all about aftermath and survival.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just started The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco.

TNOTR has been described (I'm paraphrasing) as "like The Da Vinci Code, but without the bad writing." While I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (as well as other things from Dan Brown) and didn't require an improved version of it, comparisons to it automatically get my attention. I haven't read Eco before, but a few of his books have attracted my attention (including Foucault's Pendulum, The Prague Cemetery, and Numero Zero) and I've wanted to dive in for a while.

Fortunately, a copy of the Folio Society's edition of TNOTR recently became available for stupid-cheap money ($32), I pounced, and am now reading it.

Only 14 pages in, but intrigued so far (and it's always nice to hold a Folio book).

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished The Shining and now a 1/4 way trough Doctor Sleep. Loving it
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    The Shining was the first Stephen King book I ever read, so I'll always have a special attachment to it. Hope you enjoy Doctor Sleep! I personally loved it, and like many here can't wait for the film

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Huge fan of Doctor Sleep as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved Doctor Sleep too.

Country
    Country Flag

TDT, please be the hand of fate and decide what I should read next:

Keith Minion - Down There & Others
    Kealan Patrick Burke - We Live Inside Your Eyes
    Laird Barron - Swift to the Chase
    Gene O'Neill - Collected Tales of the Baja Express
    Brian Hodge - Skidding Into Oblivion

I mean, I'm planning on reading all of them this month.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Kealan Patrick Burke - We Live Inside Your Eyes
    Cool title
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Just started The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco.

TNOTR has been described (I'm paraphrasing) as "like The Da Vinci Code, but without the bad writing." While I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (as well as other things from Dan Brown) and didn't require an improved version of it, comparisons to it automatically get my attention. I haven't read Eco before, but a few of his books have attracted my attention (including Foucault's Pendulum, The Prague Cemetery, and Numero Zero) and I've wanted to dive in for a while.

Fortunately, a copy of the Folio Society's edition of TNOTR recently became available for stupid-cheap money ($32), I pounced, and am now reading it.

Only 14 pages in, but intrigued so far (and it's always nice to hold a Folio book).
    I've only read The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum, and enjoyed both immensely. They are long, and somewhat meandering, but I found them compelling nonetheless.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Golden Lion" by Wilbur Smith & Giles Kristian.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I thought doctor sleep was fantastic. Dare I say I preferred it to The Shining..

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I thought doctor sleep was fantastic. Dare I say I preferred it to The Shining..
    You'd probably be in the minority. Along with me and a few others. Although I can't say I enjoyed it more than The Shining.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Recently finished Steinbeck’s Grapes Of Wrath - first Steinbeck book - brilliant
    Currently reading McCarthy All the Pretty Horses

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    You'd probably be in the minority. Along with me and a few others. Although I can't say I enjoyed it more than The Shining.
    The Shining definitely had more atmosphere. I read them back to back and seemed to enjoy doctor sleep more.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Doctor Sleep was very good until the final third. Then I thought it had one of the poorest (deus ex machina) endings King has ever written (and that’s saying something, unfortunately).

For me, not in the same league as his masterpiece, The Shining.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I thought Doctor Sleep was very good until the final third. Then I thought it had one of the poorest (deus ex machina) endings King has ever written (and that’s saying something, unfortunately).

For me, not in the same league as his masterpiece, The Shining.
    Agreed. Doctor sleep was total trash. Might be my least favourite King book. Better than the Shining? Crazy talk... lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Interesting; I find fault with plenty of King’s endings (unfortunately), but I really liked that of Dr. Sleep (I thought it was logical and satisfying without telegraphing it, which is all I really want).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 664 of 713 FirstFirst ... 164 564 614 654 662 663 664 665 666 674 ... LastLast