Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 158 of 714 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 658 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Duma Key is totally worth a read. As usual, the character development is astounding and I think it really says where King is at right now.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Couldn't agree more Matt!

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

LOTR

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    LOTR
    Always a good choice. Is this a re-read for you or your first time with the series?

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Sigh. I really need to re-read LOTR.

Confession: I've read them, but it was in 8th grade and it was really difficult for me to get through them Honestly, I didn't like them much at all.

BUT I was told something really interesting by a random guy at Barnes & Noble last week. I noticed he was reading Harry Potter and we started talking about our essential book series(plural). We both mentioned Chronicles of Narnia, HP, and LOTR. I added DT to the list. He had never heard of DT, so I attempted to sum it up and he said he'd read them if I gave LOTR another try. When I complained that it was too heavy for me and boring, here's what he said:

Read LOTR like a factual history book, not a novel. He said that way the intense sections of detail are so much more interesting and you can get through the loooong boring parts (that I definitely remember) without giving up. This way you appreciate the book so much more, he said.

I'd like to try it, but I need a break from school to do it. Maybe over Christmas. What do LOTR fans think about that advice?

I think it's excellent advice SJ. There is much in Tolkien's work that reads like history and I often have to remind myself that it didn't really happen.

Also, how can you work at Barnes & Noble and never have even heard of DT? It reminds me of a kid that worked at a Blockbuster Video I went to once that had never heard of This Is Spinal Tap. He asked me "is that a movie?"

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I've never heard anyone suggest that, but it's probably sound advice.

After all, Tolkien was a professor, linguist, and mythologist before he was an author of fiction, and it shows.

I should probably do that next time I read it....

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It reminds me of a kid that worked at a Blockbuster Video I went to once that had never heard of This Is Spinal Tap. He asked me "is that a movie?"
    Wow.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I got Prisoner of Azkiban in the mail today!

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    LOTR
    Always a good choice. Is this a re-read for you or your first time with the series?
    reread. I started reading in 5th grade. got bored by the end of book five. picked it up a year later and pushed through the last book to finish off RotK and thus the trilogy. Didn't really like it then. too ahrd at the time. i was too bored with it. But i just finished rewatching the extended movies (11:21 ) and really wnated to do a reread. Plus, that Crichton book read really fast (typical crichton, form my experience) and i need something to read before school starts and before i start a reread of IT.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Well I hope you enjoy it more this time through.

Just finished The Green Mile. It's probably toward the top of my "top 5" list... Wow.

This was the first of SK's novels I've read that is written in the first person - does he write many like that?

I'm also surprised how well the film sticks to the book - and it still makes an excellent film!
    See, you CAN "adapt" novels into screenplays without changing everything.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    On-topic : I'm inching my way through IT while I wait for Prisoner of Azkiban to arrive in the mail.
    So what part are you up to now? And are you enjoying it more?
    Hmm, not really. It's 1 or 2 gripping pages in which Pennywise makes an appearance, and then 50 pages of them smiling at each other and building a dam. At this point, the only reason I'm moving forward with it is because I don't like to leave books unfinished :/
    I'm so sorry Feev, I was really hoping you'd enjoy it the more you got into it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Took me awhile to get into IT myself, but now I have difficulty thinking of anything else....

Just saying, give it time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Same here. I started to read it years ago, and just couldn't get past the first section with the phone calls. Then I picked it up a couple of years ago, and again struggled thru that first part, but once I got past that section I was hooked, and it has become my favorite book ever.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

John F. Kennedy Sorox the Gunslinger is on a distinguished road Sorox the Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started Apt. Pupil last night. IF you havent heard of it, it's pretty good. Its 3-4 short stories by Stephen King. Im 20 pages away from finishing the first story.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

it's weird how i read. i was reading insomnia, but i stopped to read the stand then when i felt like reading i forgot where i put the stand and just picked up Dearly Devoted Dexter, ignoring insomnia.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Just finished The Green Mile. It's probably toward the top of my "top 5" list... Wow.

This was the first of SK's novels I've read that is written in the first person - does he write many like that?

I'm also surprised how well the film sticks to the book - and it still makes an excellent film!
    See, you CAN "adapt" novels into screenplays without changing everything.
    And thank you for reinforcing my point.

I have it in serial novel version. Yep, I bought it one part at a time when it came out. Much more gripping, waiting for the next installment, IMHO. Anyone wants to send me a gift, I'd love it in single novel form in paperback.

Still, a GREAT read.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Well I hope you enjoy it more this time through.
    I am! i read the first book today. I'm enjoying it much more this time around, and i havn't even gotton to all the action-y stuff yet. I don't fins it spectacular like some find it, but i do find it enjoyable.

So it goes.

- Oscar Wilde

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't start Everything's Eventual right after The Talisman like I said I would. I am a bad person. But I'll pick it up as soon as I'm done with my current book, I PROMISE!

I had to jump right into Black House. The beginning was a tad bit slow, which is just like I remember. Other than that, I love it 100% more. I don't think I'd read any Dark Tower books when I first read Black House so the references were totally lost on me.

Turtle and DarkThoughts, thanks for the tips (and for that fantastic list) on Gaiman. I printed the list and made notes on what y'all have told me. And since I got a geeky comic book store membership specifically for the Dark Tower graphic novels, I've been looking for an excuse to really get my money's worth ($10 a year, 10% off everything).
    Maybe I'll pick up The Sandman.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

I have it in serial novel version. Yep, I bought it one part at a time when it came out. Much more gripping, waiting for the next installment, IMHO.
    When Green Mile first came out in serialized form I was still seriously pissed at Steve for how long I'd been waiting for Wizard and Glass and I refused to buy it until it was finished! (Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, etc.) It was the first Stephen King story I didn't buy the second it hit the shelves. I was always kinda sorry I missed the excitement.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I just finished re-reading Delores Claiborne and now I remember WHY I didn't like it. First of all, there are, like, NO chapter breaks!! I am completely incapable of putting a book down to go to sleep until I come to a chapter break! Thank Ka it's a short book or I would have been in real trouble! Also, I like the story and I always love first person, but the way it's done in this book is just distracting.
    Spoiler:
    Every time Delores would stop telling her story to talk to the people who were supposed to be taking her statment, it completely disrupted the flow of the story for me.
    I've never seen the movie, but I think I'll rent it. This may be the one-in-a-million case where I'll like the movie better than the book.

Now I've just started re-reading The Talisman (for the hundreth time). ::sigh:: I love Wolf. ::Sniffle::
    Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Quote Originally Posted by KaLikeAWheel View Post
    Okay, I just finished re-reading Delores Claiborne and now I remember WHY I didn't like it. First of all, there are, like, NO chapter breaks!! I am completely incapable of putting a book down to go to sleep until I come to a chapter break! Thank Ka it's a short book or I would have been in real trouble! Also, I like the story and I always love first person, but the way it's done in this book is just distracting.
    Spoiler:
    Every time Delores would stop telling her story to talk to the people who were supposed to be taking her statment, it completely disrupted the flow of the story for me.
    I've never seen the movie, but I think I'll rent it. This may be the one-in-a-million case where I'll like the movie better than the book.

Now I've just started re-reading The Talisman (for the hundreth time). ::sigh:: I love Wolf. ::Sniffle::
    Donna

funny thing about the movie, it has John C. reilly in it. I kinda laughed a little when i saw Cal Naughton Jr. of Talladega Nights in that movie. lol

So it goes.

- Oscar Wilde

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

I am also now reading The road to the dark tower by Bev Vincent.
    Very interesting!

it seems I just can't let go of the tower!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 158 of 714 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 658 ... LastLast