+ Reply to Thread
Page 639 of 681 FirstFirst ... 139 539 589 629 637 638 639 640 641 649 ... LastLast
Results 15,951 to 15,975 of 17009

Thread: What are you currently reading?

  1. #15951
    Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    121
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.
    Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.
    I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.
    I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.
    Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.
    I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

    Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
    Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

    Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.
    Thanks Ben!
    Would reading it before I read Winter Haunting mess anything up?

  2. #15952
    Live it. webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    14,105
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.
    Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.
    I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.
    I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.
    Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.
    I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

    Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
    Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

    Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.
    Thanks Ben!
    Would reading it before I read Winter Haunting mess anything up?
    no
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  3. #15953
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.
    Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.
    I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.
    I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.
    Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.
    I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

    Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
    Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

    Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.
    Thanks Ben!
    Would reading it before I read Winter Haunting mess anything up?
    It was written several years after A Winter Haunting was published so it does contain some references to AWH in the section featuring Dale Stewart which is in Part 1 of Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven.

  4. #15954
    Rebel Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,026

    Default

    Am I the only one that didn't care for A Winter Haunting?

  5. #15955
    Big Coffin Hunter Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861 people like to rub elbows with me Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    9,320
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I just read Cheeseboy by Graham Masterton. It is the first of his works Iíve read, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre stories Iíve ever read. Has anyone else read this yet?
    I have it as I collect the series but haven't read it yet. Do you recommend reading it or no?
    "Iím goddamned Luke Skywalker. Except with far better books."-Jeffingoff

  6. #15956
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The Rats by James Herbert
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  7. #15957
    Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    3,549
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I just read Cheeseboy by Graham Masterton. It is the first of his works Iíve read, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre stories Iíve ever read. Has anyone else read this yet?
    I have it as I collect the series but haven't read it yet. Do you recommend reading it or no?
    Itís worth the 30-45 minutes it takes to read it. I gave it a 4/5. Horrific for sure. Donít really get all the British slang, but itís good.
    Sloth Love Chunk

  8. #15958
    Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    121
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.
    Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.
    I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.
    I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.
    Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.
    I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

    Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
    Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

    Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.
    Thanks Ben!
    Would reading it before I read Winter Haunting mess anything up?
    It was written several years after A Winter Haunting was published so it does contain some references to AWH in the section featuring Dale Stewart which is in Part 1 of Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven.
    Thanks Ben. I think I will wait until I read A Winter Haunting until I read it. It is next on my list after Children of night.

  9. #15959
    Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lettiland
    Posts
    22,328
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I'm re-reading Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

    If you rescue me
    Iíll be your friend forever


    I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)



  10. #15960
    Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    121
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Well I finished Children of Night last night and really liked it. Like I said before the first half is good but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion. The rest of the book was really cool. It had action, suspense, a little romance. Not as good as SON but good.
    I am now starting A Winter Haunting. Hope it is as good.

  11. #15961
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Just started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Man, I really have to check out A Winter Haunting. Maybe in six months when I finish The Terror.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  12. #15962
    Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    121
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Just started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Man, I really have to check out A Winter Haunting. Maybe in six months when I finish The Terror.
    I have not read the Terror yet but is on my list! It is a long book. You will have to let me know what you think of it.

  13. #15963
    Rebel Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,026

    Default

    The first time I read The Terror, I think I devoured it in less than a week. Same thing happened the first time I read It. I couldn't put them down. My re-reads however took a bit longer. I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.

  14. #15964
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Just started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Man, I really have to check out A Winter Haunting. Maybe in six months when I finish The Terror.
    I have not read the Terror yet but is on my list! It is a long book. You will have to let me know what you think of it.
    Iíll definitely let you know! It took about 60 pages or so before I got hooked but Iím really into it now. That seems to be the consensus, that itís a creeper and starts off slow but then blows you away.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  15. #15965
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The first time I read The Terror, I think I devoured it in less than a week. Same thing happened the first time I read It. I couldn't put them down. My re-reads however took a bit longer. I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.
    Now thatís impressive. If I could take a week off to read it, and believe me I would, maybe. Iím a pretty slow reader as it is though. Iíll definitely post back here when I get through A Winter Haunting to let you know!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  16. #15966
    Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,099
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    You guys reminded me that I still have a few Simmons' books on my TBR pile.. thanks!

    Another great Simmons read (IMO) is The Hollow Man. It's very different from The Terror or Summer of Night or any of his SF or 'hard-boiled' novels. He is such a diverse author.

  17. #15967
    Rebel Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,026

    Default

    He definitely is. Just based on the handful of books I've read of his, they are pretty diverse. Has anyone here read The Abominable? Read that one last winter. It wasn't nearly as good as The Terror, but still enjoyable.

  18. #15968
    Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,099
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Yes, I read it. I agree with your assessment

  19. #15969
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    And my reading list keeps on growing...
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  20. #15970
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ...I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.
    A Winter Haunting was a completely different reading experience from Summer Of Night. It wasn't intended to be a direct sequel to SON and if read in that light it is a decent story but not nearly as enjoyable.

  21. #15971
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    You guys reminded me that I still have a few Simmons' books on my TBR pile.. thanks!

    Another great Simmons read (IMO) is The Hollow Man.
    +1

  22. #15972
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    [QUOTE=BigJoeHillfan;1105943]Well I finished Children of Night...but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion.QUOTE]

    Mr. Simmons tends to be a bit too thorough with his scientific explanations. Often times I would prefer he subscribe to the less is more theory.

  23. #15973
    Rebel Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19 has much to be proud of Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ...I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.
    A Winter Haunting was a completely different reading experience from Summer Of Night. It wasn't intended to be a direct sequel to SON and if read in that light it is a decent story but not nearly as enjoyable.
    I've read it before, probably not too long after Summer of Night and hated it. It was very different, and there were a few directions he went with the characters in that I really didn't like. I wonder if I had waited longer so Summer of Night wasn't so fresh in my mind if I would have enjoyed it more.

  24. #15974
    Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,814
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    [QUOTE=Ben Mears;1106104]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Well I finished Children of Night...but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion.QUOTE]

    Mr. Simmons tends to be a bit too thorough with his scientific explanations. Often times I would prefer he subscribe to the less is more theory.
    But would he then possibly not stumble across language like this?

    ďAvast that, God-damn your blind eyes, you fucking lubbing idle-brained shit-for-wits idiot!Ē

    Because that would be unfortunate.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  25. #15975
    Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ...I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.
    A Winter Haunting was a completely different reading experience from Summer Of Night. It wasn't intended to be a direct sequel to SON and if read in that light it is a decent story but not nearly as enjoyable.
    I've read it before, probably not too long after Summer of Night and hated it. It was very different, and there were a few directions he went with the characters in that I really didn't like. I wonder if I had waited longer so Summer of Night wasn't so fresh in my mind if I would have enjoyed it more.
    Not sure if the timing would have made a difference. AWH isn't a very nice book and the direction DS went with the main character was not what I was expecting nor wanting. That said DS didn't take the easy way out with a nostalgic revisit to Elm Haven; it was anything but.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 639 of 681 FirstFirst ... 139 539 589 629 637 638 639 640 641 649 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts